V Shrewsbury Town (H) 4th March 15.00

Boycie

On 04/03/2023 at 22:48, kevinhectoring said:

Think the ref may have forgotten about Didzie’s yellow and needed to be reminded. 

No complaints about the ‘penalty incidents’. Not enough in the push against Dobbin. And his touch was heavy, his run predictable. Don’t think even he complained. Rooney’s was a clear foul. We should stop whingeing about this stuff 

I assumed the second penalty incident would be the clear hand ball in the box?

4 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I cant speak for most posters, only myself. If we don't go up via the playoffs my default position will not be too criticise Paul Warne. The playoffs are a lottery. I will be critical though if we reach those final 3 games and he hasnt got us sufficiently organised to give a good account of ourselves. Hopefully the last 6 games have been a February wobble, but we look hellishly unsettled/fatigued at the moment.

p.s. Next season in L1 we are unlikely to have Cashin, Knight or Bird. Perhaps Sibley neither. They will be picked off by other clubs, and replaced by bulked up athletes more suited to Warne's footballing approach.

Not sure Warne would be happy losing Amoy of the 4 mentioned. But career progression would suggest that it’s a distinct possibility. At that point Warne needs to replace with frees or loans so hardly the pick of the bunch. 

So it’s a bit unfair to judge their replacements, it’s not similar to the Rowett and Hughes situation where Hughes was binned out by choice.

I knew as soon as we didn't win that this would be a 25+ page thread rather than a 13 page thread...

I get that regulation victories stimulate less debate than a loss or a draw but I always think it's worthwhile looking at the bigger picture after each game. Helps me to remain sane.

During our good run, we picked up points we probably didn't quite deserve. During this slight down turn, we've probably dropped points we didn't quite deserve.

Over the course of the season that will even out with us most likely finishing top 6, which is what we will deserve on balance.

On the Shrewsbury game, and demonstrated in a few other games, we failed to do the boring and ugly stuff at a critical point in the game. That's cost us more points than it should this season.

However, anyone saying that a draw was a fair result on the balance of play is having their judgment impaired by the end result. Save for 15 minutes we were dominant and should have won.

It's a shame but hopefully we can put it right against Plymouth.