V Shrewsbury Town (H) 4th March 15.00

Boycie

11 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Win and they're 12 points behind with 12 games left, so it puts them out of contention. Lose and the gap is only 6 and this period of form becomes a proper wobble, with teams beginning to mass behind us. Every game is so important now.

I like the look of @Ghost of Clough's team, but I'll be amazed if Warne rests Hourihane. 

I was thinking exactly the same. IF we beat them it would mean they’ll effectively need to win 4 more games than us and we’d have to lose those four. Not impossible but a tough challenge for Shrewsbury especially as they still need to go to Peterborough, Ipswich, Barnsley and Bolton as well as playing at home against Peterborough, Plymouth and Sheffield Wednesday.

Of course all this means a nailed on draw on Saturday ?

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I was thinking exactly the same. IF we beat them it would mean they’ll effectively need to win 4 more games than us and we’d have to lose those four. Not impossible but a tough challenge for Shrewsbury especially as they still need to go to Peterborough, Ipswich, Barnsley and Bolton as well as playing at home against Peterborough, Plymouth and Sheffield Wednesday.

Of course all this means a nailed on draw on Saturday ?

Does mean though... if we hit a bit more form, they could be our biggest friends going! Obviously, need to beat them first (and be better than we were Tuesday).

15 minutes ago, Srg said:

Does mean though... if we hit a bit more form, they could be our biggest friends going! Obviously, need to beat them first (and be better than we were Tuesday).

I agree. Provided we beat them on Saturday and repeat our turn of the year form, we could do with them winning all of the games I have listed. That’s very unlikely but they could well have a big impact on the top 6 places.

Shrews 13 points from their last 6 games to our 10. However, their away form is poor, even losing 1-0 at Accy recently and 0-0 draw at Exeter and only beat Oxford 1-0 away. Beat Wycombe 2-0 at home, though.

I'm expecting them to press high, utilise some very "enthusiastic" tackling and Wycombe/Cheltenham-like 5hithousery from the off. Stopping the game flowing. Nicking 15 yards at throws and taking a minute per throw. Given a strong ref, we should be OK.

2-1

Currently 3404 seats left in the home areas, 75% of which are in the North and North East Corner.

On 01/03/2023 at 08:08, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildsmith

Smith   Forsyth   Cashin   Roberts

Knight   White

Mendez-Laing   Sibley   Dobbin

McGoldrick

Subs: McGee, Davies, Tommo, Hourihane, Barkhuizen, Springett, Collins

Hourihane was very good v Charlton. But I can see that your team may have more balance. Hourihane and White too similar? 

These have just lost to Accrington away.It is crucial to rest players before Plymouth on Tuesday. We only have to beat the bottom half teams to get in the play-offs. However to avoid the lottery we have to win at Plymouth. NML , Smith , Fozzy and even McGoldrick could do with a rest. We haven’t scored a goal yet in 3 Sky games and struggle against the top 6 away . Warne has to give it consideration .

39 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

These have just lost to Accrington away.It is crucial to rest players before Plymouth on Tuesday. We only have to beat the bottom half teams to get in the play-offs. However to avoid the lottery we have to win at Plymouth. NML , Smith , Fozzy and even McGoldrick could do with a rest. We haven’t scored a goal yet in 3 Sky games and struggle against the top 6 away . Warne has to give it consideration .

I’d be stunned if PW made that many changes. I doubt he’ll want to tinker too much. I reckon Smith and Fozzy will definitely keep their place (and so they should unless they’re carrying and injury) and, at most, only one of NML or McGoldrick might drop to the bench.

I understand your point about going for a win at Plymouth but it will count for little if we slip up in anyway against Shrewsbury. We should have enough to beat Shrewsbury but we shouldn’t take it for granted. They’ve actually beaten Wycombe home and away. 

As the saying goes, one game at a time. Let’s get the game against Shrewsbury won before we start to worry about Plymouth. 

1 hour ago, SKRam said:

Re resting players…… Win the game and no one will want to be resting, all up for playing, that’s the mentality any player will have. ?

And if you lose 4-1 the players want to get back out there and put it right. Premiership Pep rests players all the time . But Warne does not think that Rooney is capable playing third tier football , to give Smith a breather.