Charlton Athletic (H), 3pm Saturday 18th February.

Rev

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Not a convincing win? I think I watched a different game. We won 2-0, kept a clean sheet, never really looked under pressure, had the luxury of being able to take off and rest a couple of key players. And other than the possession stats it looks on paper like the game went the way I perceived it;

4065090D-5A82-4F51-A54A-867C41AD8646.png

Charlton weren’t much good. And despite that, we were no better than they were in the second half (until we got the second goal). We didn’t score in open play. Our corners were toothless, we lack fluidity up front.   In both halves they had two or three breaks where we were overloaded or out of position. Only their lack of quality saved us. Good to see more in midfield but if Knight AND Hourihane both advance like that there’s a big danger we get sliced apart by top teams in the league. Too much focus on energy and not enough on organisation. 

54 minutes ago, jono said:

Interesting game. Until the second went in there was always the outside chance they might nick one against the run of play. Charlton have some good, strong quick and tricky players (17 was a handful) they aren’t afraid of hard knife edge challenges. Some were desperate and ragged. A physical side but they did try and play football. Just don’t think they are a bonded unit like us. 

We earned that win - could have had more, some lovely breaks and passing only to stumble with the final touch / bobble / pass / shot 

Thought the team played well and for each other. Love White, calm and controlled with some classy passes. Kept things ticking brilliantly. Got clobbered by their aggressive tackling - NML, Barks, Dobs all got hammered heavily too. Maybe legal but at times pretty ugly. Cash deserved his MOTM for a great performance against a bruiser (that was an old fashioned CF/CB personal war) and his goal. Even when he gets “done” his tenacity in recovery is exceptional. McG was a real line leader, Knight is our turbo overboost, never gave them a minute. 

Barks looked really peed off when subbed, first time I’ve seen a bad reaction in this squad .. what was that about I wonder? Still, the South Stand gave him a great salute so hope he’s back on side so to speak. 

I think barks was frustrated rather than angry. He has just missed a chance and on another day could have been walking off with a couple of goals under his belt.

I thought his first half performance was crucial in creating an enhanced level of tempo after Tuesday. He was excellent. 

34 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Got that twinkle in his eye mind Angie! Bet he's a handful when he's on hols with the lads ?

Don't mind that! You're only young once and I remember that feeling when all options were possible! ?

I'm just pleased he's enjoying his  success with us at the moment. When we spoke to him last season he acknowledged how much he wanted to stay with us if he could, but he needed a job.

Glad we could give him a contract and only hope we can enhance it soon.

Edited by angieram
Repeating myself!

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

Charlton weren’t much good. And despite that, we were no better than they were in the second half (until we got the second goal). We didn’t score in open play. Our corners were toothless, we lack fluidity up front.   In both halves they had two or three breaks where we were overloaded or out of position. Only their lack of quality saved us. Good to see more in midfield but if Knight AND Hourihane both advance like that there’s a big danger we get sliced apart by top teams in the league. Too much focus on energy and not enough on organisation. 

I definitely saw today in a different way to you.
We created plenty of chances in open play so if we use your what if scenario against another team and on another day we could have scored 5 or 6.
We had more corners than them due to our attacking pressure and forcing them to defend.

We restricted them to only 2 shots on target and kept a clean sheet so regardless of their quality or lack thereof we did our job defensively and they rarely threatened our goal.

You can only beat what’s in front of you which we did today, someone highlighted pre match that Charlton have a decent away record. Could we have scored more? Yes sure. Could we have had more possession of the football? Yes. However, winning 2-0, creating more chances and without being tested by the opposition is fairly convincing in my book. 

8 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I definitely saw today in a different way to you.
We created plenty of chances in open play so if we use your what if scenario against another team and on another day we could have scored 5 or 6.
We had more corners than them due to our attacking pressure and forcing them to defend.

We restricted them to only 2 shots on target and kept a clean sheet so regardless of their quality or lack thereof we did our job defensively and they rarely threatened our goal.

You can only beat what’s in front of you which we did today, someone highlighted pre match that Charlton have a decent away record. Could we have scored more? Yes sure. Could we have had more possession of the football? Yes. However, winning 2-0, creating more chances and without being tested by the opposition is fairly convincing in my book. 

I was surprised when I saw the possession stats as it felt we had more of the ball than that.

I can only put it down to the fact they struggled in possession to play out from the back slowly and then we took the ball off them and broke quickly. 

I thought that White, Mendez-Laing and Hourihane all made some good interceptions today. 

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Good first period but overall not a convincing win. Forsyth and Cashin solid as always, White showing he is top drawer, Barks looking sparky. But too often we’re disorganised in the middle of the pitch and up front. We’ll struggle against stronger opposition if we don’t have a better plan 

Wrong!!! That was a straightforward, convincing win - Charlton hardly threatened our defence throughout the 90+ minutes.

Much needed win today. Seen better performances but got the job done, and seemed much more controlled with White in midfield. Glad Warne finally realised this, even if it is two games late. Hopefully that puts us back on track - the race for top 6 is relentless this year, we need to win most our remaining games even to get that.

Edited by Millenniumram

On 17/02/2023 at 09:38, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I wonder if anyone can help please? We are coming up for the game tomorrow and our usual car park is not available. I have booked DCFC general admission car park A the problem is nobody seems to be able to give me details of where it is! Anyone got an idea??

Thanks

In the good old fashioned world I reckon car park A would be right next to car park B (right, not left, I hope you left after the game and are still not looking for car park A….right?)

In the modern world car park A is maybe next to car park T, because that’s where it’s AT

Ps……car parks are a rip off, don’t bother with them…..walk instead, keeps you fit, and you can go to the pub get rat faced on the money you’d have wasted on the rip off car park without the worry of trying to remember where you’d parked the car!

Up The Rams ? 

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

Thoroughly dominant win. The only slight criticism is that we weren't clinical in front of goal. I thought Harvey White was brilliant, a great addition to the squad. Sibley worked tirelessly hard. 

I think Mendez Laing could potentially be due a rest as it was his best day today. 

Great way to bounce back.

Spot on, Only criticism we didn't score 5 or more, Harvey White a very intelligent player, I'm always a little twitchy at 1-0 as Charlton only needed a little bit of luck in front of goal, When Cashins header went in...job done.

2 things...Charlton tried to play from the back which left them open but fare play they tried, The Ref...said before a good ref is a ref you dont see...well done.  

54 minutes ago, angieram said:

I was surprised when I saw the possession stats as it felt we had more of the ball than that.

I can only put it down to the fact they struggled in possession to play out from the back slowly and then we took the ball off them and broke quickly. 

I thought that White, Mendez-Laing and Hourihane all made some good interceptions today. 

They were playing Rosenior ball, A lot from the keeper but no end product from those in front, The reason we had so many chances

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

I disagree. Just as we fluffed some critical chances they did too, but our organisation, particularly Cash and Fozzy was the cause of their failure while our big ones were our own lack of touch and composure at critical moments. We were comfortably the better side. 

I’d add that they COULD have been better, they had some seriously powerful players with a fast first half yard and bags of tricks but our organisation was to my mind superior and that’s why we won. 

Charlton were awful if the first half and we should have made them pay for it, we didn't. That allowed them to comeback in it second half, even they didnt really produce anything of note.

I thought we were good but just not clinical enough.

we have to remember that we are not the complete team, we have a small squad and need reinforcements in a few positions, a few are playing out of position.

I thought Corey Smith was MoM, never put a foot wrong and they never gave him a minutes rest

Loved the atmosphere.