Charlton Athletic (H), 3pm Saturday 18th February.

Rev

Is it just me, but at the time I thought the 2nd goal was an own goal, I stand in South stand to the left of the goal and it clearly came off Hector, didn't realise Cash actually got a touch until I saw the highlights.....

But, I've been saying for ages it's about time he scored, so hopefully this will kick start us getting more from set pieces

3 hours ago, jono said:

When I was a kid, my Dad had a lawyer as a mate. He was an Oxford Grad. Being a cheeky 8 year old I said Cambridge was better .. .. his response was ..What do you mean ? we were in the final of the boat race. 

Yes bit like USA sporting "world champions" - wrong Oxford currently in that boat race!

12 hours ago, Rich84 said:

Is it just me, but at the time I thought the 2nd goal was an own goal, I stand in South stand to the left of the goal and it clearly came off Hector, didn't realise Cash actually got a touch until I saw the highlights.....

But, I've been saying for ages it's about time he scored, so hopefully this will kick start us getting more from set pieces

Likewise, I also didn't think that it was a free kick in the first place, never mind a yellow card. However, their player seemed to be coming into the tackle with the intent to take out our player, but at the last second held back and played the ball out for a corner. We had a great view from the lower east stand. Had it been the other way round, we'd be screaming about the EFL referees.

21 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Likewise, I also didn't think that it was a free kick in the first place, never mind a yellow card. However, their player seemed to be coming into the tackle with the intent to take out our player, but at the last second held back and played the ball out for a corner. We had a great view from the lower east stand. Had it been the other way round, we'd be screaming about the EFL referees.

Surely this can’t be correct. We all know the EFL, FA and referees association have a vendetta against Derby and we never get questionable decisions in our favour. ?

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Surely this can’t be correct. We all know the EFL, FA and referees association have a vendetta against Derby and we never get questionable decisions in our favour. ?

Ah but Rick Parry was there on Saturday, obviously he had a word with the referee and said go easy on them just for today so I don’t get dogs abuse.?

4 hours ago, ram59 said:

Here's a possible explanation. Dobbin on the deck a couple of seconds after the "tackle" with the ball clearly still in play and rolling slowly towards the goal line. The tackler clearly brought Dobbin down in the tackle and prevented him playing on. 

IMG_20230220_142359-01.thumb.jpeg.50f6e187a6494d15f71f250320397b26.jpeg

48 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Here's a possible explanation. Dobbin on the deck a couple of seconds after the "tackle" with the ball clearly still in play and rolling slowly towards the goal line. The tackler clearly brought Dobbin down in the tackle and prevented him playing on. 

I think if the ball had gone over the touchline, the ref would have assumed the defender got there, but because it effectively went precisely where Dobbin would have wanted it to, he assumed Dobbin had done it.

Plus of course, it was in line with their take-out attempts throughout the match

19 hours ago, Rich84 said:

No not just you, It did take a touch off Hector...but, As the ball is on target it's credited to the attacking player.

21 hours ago, Foreveram said:

In 1971-72 only 16 players were used, 3 of them, Tony Bailey, Steve Powell and Jim Walker made only 10 (6+4) appearances between them and Frank Wignall left for Mansfield town in November. So it was basically 12 players for the rest of the season which included 7 cup games.

Who was Tony Bailey , I recall Arthur Stewart & Pat Wright playing a few games in that period .

Edited by Magicman

6 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

….. unless Trevor Birch just happens to be in the stadium. Then all of a sudden we get a good ref. Funny, that, isn’t it?

1 hour ago, Magicman said:

Who was Tony Bailey , I recall Arthur Stewart & Pat Wright playing a few games in that period .

What is remarkable is that Derby used only 16 players all season and three of them - Powell, Jim Walker and Tony Bailey - made only six starts and four substitute appearances between them although Walker grabbed a crucial winner against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park.

Goalkeeper Colin Boulton and Hector played all 42 league games, John Robson missed just one. The players used and the number of appearances they made were: Colin Boulton (42), Ron Webster (38), John Robson (41), John McGovern (40), Terry Hennessey (18), Colin Todd (40), Roy McFarland (38), Archie Gemmill (40), John O'Hare (40), Kevin Hector (42), Alan Hinton (38), Alan Durban (31), Frank Wignall (11), Jim Walker (6), Steve Powell (3), Tony Bailey (1).

Taken from a DET report. Tony was a Burton lad BC bought for £1000 if my memory serves me right .

On 20/02/2023 at 09:56, ram59 said:

Sorry mate, it was a free kick. You are right that he had no intention of playing the ball, but he dud clatter Dobbin pretty damn hard. It was a yellow verging on a red. So the goal was sweet justice!

10 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Sadly the ground is on the edge of Cowley, sort of on the way to Abingdon.

So a dump basically.

The dreaming spires are nice, but overall Cambridge is better ?

I didn’t realise the ground was so far from the centre!

But if you plan it right, it can still be a good and complete day out I reckon.

Arrive in Oxford at 9-10, walk to the centre, have breakfast, do some sightseeing, have a pint, and get a bus / taxi to the stadium at 1:30, perhaps?

You will probably still get a good feel for the city. The centre isn’t particularly big.

48 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Arrive in Oxford at 9-10, walk to the centre, have breakfast, do some sightseeing, have a pint, and get a bus / taxi to the stadium at 1:30, perhaps?

You will probably still get a good feel for the city. The centre isn’t particularly big.

This is why we are staying in Reading, or to be more exact Caversham. Friday till Sunday, Plan is go down Friday morning book in at the Crown Plaza on the Thames, go for a swim in the pool, sauna and steam room. Go for a walk along the Thames, call in the Griffin for a drink and food somewhere.

Saturday morning free full English breakfast in the hotel then drive the 23 miles to Oxford ( which is about my normal drive to a home game.) Drop my wife off to do her thing in Oxford While I go to the match. Back to Caversham to celebrate ?? ??.Sunday morning full English pool, sauna ,steam room , feed the ??check out, steady ride back calling somewhere on the way.

4 star Crowne Plaza exec room with Thames view about half the price of a 3star in Oxford.

I love away weekends.

13 hours ago, Jourdan said:

The Bodleian Library is worth a look - open to the public and in the centre, in the pedestrian bit i think.

6 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

The Bodleian Library is worth a look - open to the public and in the centre, in the pedestrian bit i think.

We couldn’t get inside last Saturday. All of the tours had sold out.

We really liked going to the Turf Tavern. A pub tucked away near the Bridge of Sighs.

There is also a rooftop bar at the top of the Ashmolean.