Charlton Athletic (H), 3pm Saturday 18th February.

Rev

1 hour ago, Inverurie Ram said:

In the good old fashioned world I reckon car park A would be right next to car park B (right, not left, I hope you left after the game and are still not looking for car park A….right?)

In the modern world car park A is maybe next to car park T, because that’s where it’s AT

Ps……car parks are a rip off, don’t bother with them…..walk instead, keeps you fit, and you can go to the pub get rat faced on the money you’d have wasted on the rip off car park without the worry of trying to remember where you’d parked the car!

Up The Rams ? 

Well that's cleared that up.... Thanks my friend 

I actually thought they were one of the worst sides to come to Derby this year which I was very surprised about they’ve been on good away form and are a good side usually …. But if we’d of won 4-0 they couldn’t have complained 2/3 mistakes there defenders made first half we left un punished, we played well good way to bounce back. 

7 minutes ago, Rev said:

My lad, on his way to Manchester for a night out, bumped into Cashin  at Sandbach services after the game. 

Enjoy the Big Mac, Cash.

He'll be cursing you when Warne gives him extra circuits to run Monday morning for eating junk food. Could at least have fibbed and said he was on a fillet of fish and carrot bag tip ?

Edited by 86 Hair Islands
typo

5 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Great result. Sheffield Wednesday seem relentless, surely going up. However I still believe we can catch Plymouth.

They must have been good today. Even @wa*kleyowl has better things to do tonight than post on our matchday thread. Or he’s on Plymouth’s? Yeah that’ll be it.

119E01C3-F886-4617-BC0D-0DEEB4A4308C.gif

Well that wasn't quite imperious, but it was pretty good, wasn't it? I have to admit that I was expecting a much tougher game today, given their away record, but that particular Charlton didn't turn up. Actually they did, but we made them look poor. Maybe we did to them what Lincoln have done to us, twice! We seemed to have their measure all over the pitch, which is why they only had two shots on target, and that was the official stats, as I can only remember one.

The ref was pretty good today, which surprised me because we've had our 2 good refs for the season already, but then found out that Trevor Birch, the EFL Chief Exec was at the match! Cynical, aren't I? Although I think the first yellow card should have been red, it was that late and violent. And sadly, that was one of Charlton's calling cards, as they went in really hard on a number of key players. especially White, NML and Dobbin the first time he got on the ball. There was no intent to play the ball in the latter foul, so could arguably have been a red. But overall, the ref got a load of stuff right, and  nipped a lot of potential bad stuff in the bud. Good man!

I was glad that White was in the starting line up - it should have happened two matches ago, but he is there now! And only one up front! Hiya Paul, now I know you are reading this forum! It is a pity that we couldn't put our chances away, or we could have won by 6 or 7 today, but I am not worried, because we were creating chances, and maybe it is a sing that we are still fining our feet after the disappointments of the last two matches, but we are back into a winning mentality. Of note was Didzy's astounding ball to NML in the first half. IT started off heading towards the touchline just inside the Charlton half, then curved to the left and landed between the line and the area for NML to run onto - stunning! But the long raking pass is Cashin's own trademark. I have seen something of both MacFarland and Todd in Cashin's play, but he is quickly demonstrating a lot of Glen Hoddle's ability with the long pass which, in whatever direction he sends it ends up at the feet of the player intended. It isn't a one off, he does it consistently. What a privilege to have him in the side, and to have him so committed to the club! Man of the match  was only fair. And it was good to have the crowd back on song again!

Tonight's journey home didn't have the euphoria of the journey home from Port Vale, but I went home a very happy boy! Bring on the Barnsley!

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Charlton weren’t much good. And despite that, we were no better than they were in the second half (until we got the second goal). We didn’t score in open play. Our corners were toothless, we lack fluidity up front.   In both halves they had two or three breaks where we were overloaded or out of position. Only their lack of quality saved us. Good to see more in midfield but if Knight AND Hourihane both advance like that there’s a big danger we get sliced apart by top teams in the league. Too much focus on energy and not enough on organisation. 

Yeah, but we won. 

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Charlton weren’t much good. And despite that, we were no better than they were in the second half (until we got the second goal). We didn’t score in open play. Our corners were toothless, we lack fluidity up front.   In both halves they had two or three breaks where we were overloaded or out of position. Only their lack of quality saved us. Good to see more in midfield but if Knight AND Hourihane both advance like that there’s a big danger we get sliced apart by top teams in the league. Too much focus on energy and not enough on organisation. 

Seriously don’t know what game you were watching. Charlton had maybe a couple of chances in the game but I never felt like they would score. I expected more from them granted but make no mistake, 2-0 flattered Charlton. The only criticism you can level at Derby today is we should’ve been more clinical and won 4-0, we were at least 3 or 4 goals better than them today. 

Hourihane was my MoM though I understand why Cashin got it, he was excellent and scored a great goal. The key difference today was White, he gives us the balance in midfield we’ve missed with Bird being out, allows Knight and Hourihane to get further forward where we get more from them. He’s physical can tackle, brilliant vision and passing ability, he’s a serious talent. 

Think this team answered the minority of critics today. Those getting worried looking over our shoulders because of two bad results. We play like that we’ll have no problems making playoffs and we’ll have an outside chance of top 2 if Plymouth drop points.

Great game. Excellent performance. Looking forward to my first trip to Oakwell since we took 9000 back in 07. Cracking day that was and hope this will be similar. 

Hourihane was my MOTM too - probably his most complete game for us IMO.

Plenty going forward (like we've come to expect) but put a real shift in defensively too.

Very disappointed with Charlton though. Thought we'd get a tougher game out of them but they never really laid a glove on us. Their fans were pretty quiet too.

10 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

Charlton were awful if the first half and we should have made them pay for it, we didn't. That allowed them to comeback in it second half, even they didnt really produce anything of note.

I thought we were good but just not clinical enough.

we have to remember that we are not the complete team, we have a small squad and need reinforcements in a few positions, a few are playing out of position.

I thought Corey Smith was MoM, never put a foot wrong and they never gave him a minutes rest

Loved the atmosphere. 

Yes ! Watching Rams TV in the concourse I noticed a stat on the screen - players used - all other teams seemed to be 30 odd down to circa 27 while we have used just 23. It’s bound to tell, with knocks and fatigue over a season. Tuesday night was evidence of that to my mind. 

12 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

vMLAw5.gif&ehk=CNMbFkBe7pSUHAFnCodRMITqv

Strange one , it didn’t feel like we had the intensity in our play but at the same time we looked comfortable with that worry at 1-1 they could nick a lucky one then the crowd kicked in , im sure the noise levels for a non stop ten minutes before we got the second was a massive factor in us getting it and then it was game over ,

cashin got mom , his goal saw him edge it over Harvey white for that award , white really looks a player 

all in all a very good day , it would have easy to slip after the disappointment of the last two results but we didn’t 

was surprised Charlton didn’t offer more and I reall thought they would bring more and be noisy but no , they were probably the flattest away following iv seen at derby this season

I might miss every home game for the rest of the season because we are Played 8 Won 8 in my absence this year. Whoever's had my ST in my place has had value for money thats for sure. 

Can't grumble at that result. Biggest criticism (and there aren't many) in here seems to be Charlton had chances??  When is that ever not the case in a game of football. 

Big one next week, looking forward to it.

Last time Charlton didn't score a goal in a league game was Dec 2, so we did well to make them look so toothless. 

Controlled the game, looked so much better with three in midfield. White looked quality, controlled that middle area of the pitch in the first half, allowing Hourihane and Knight to get around the pitch. Always nice when you could pick two or three players for MoM.

4 or 5 nil wouldn't have flattered us. As comfortable a home game as you're going to get. Expected much more from Charlton but I'm glad after the last couple of the games they didn't deliver! 

The chanting between blocks in the SS was good fun. 

Love from D block (E block can do one. F block silent.) 

15 hours ago, InstaRam said:

Actually impressed by their nr 4 in central midfield. Hard working player but really also could play football when given the chance. A bit on his own in a quite mediocre Charlton side tough. 

For info - George Dobson was their number 4

18 hours ago, angieram said:

He is such a polite young man. Him and his family, so pleased for them all. 

So instead of singing about NML’s long dong, why can’t the South Stand embrace some chants along these lines? It might not exactly strike fear and dread in the hearts of the oppo but they might be so confused they forget their game plan. 

“when he’s playing we don’t lose  

And he minds his Ps and Qs

loves his mum like a boy oughtta 

You could trust him with your daughter

EIRAN CASHIN (etc)”