Charlton Athletic (H), 3pm Saturday 18th February.

Rev

3 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Apologies if: a. this is a joke I haven't gotten  or b: somebody else has mentioned it... but:

The unbeaten run started on Tuesday when we didn't lose to Lincoln.

Come on @LazloW! Need at least a couple of game s to call it a 'run' ? Anything less is just a game, isn't it?

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Good first period but overall not a convincing win. Forsyth and Cashin solid as always, White showing he is top drawer, Barks looking sparky. But too often we’re disorganised in the middle of the pitch and up front. We’ll struggle against stronger opposition if we don’t have a better plan 

Drearily negative , Bolton game forgotten

Was a bit worried initially as they started out very brightly.  However onwards the end they were really just hanging on in there

Cashin was immense today. If I was being picky then he misplaced a couple of passes, but that was it, he won so many headers against their big forward.  What a player he is turning out to be.

Other than the goals, the best moment for me was the superman style clearance header from Wildsmith, got a huge cheer from me. ?

Incidentally I didn’t think the ref was too bad today.  Perhaps on best Behaviour due to Birch being in the crowd…

33 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

But we are only 4 points ahead of Wycombe so we are bound to be looking over our shoulders. A weird season… would have thought with 57 points we would be way ahead of anyone in 7th.

True. There are certainly going to be some extremely disappointed teams and fans this season, both for missing out on the autos and the playoffs, despite having had a great campaign. So I suppose you are right and I'm getting ahead of myself and we still have to be looking over our shoulders, only 4 points clear, but I hope we're looking upwards as well. Every week seems massive now, but next week especially so. 

Very soon we will see teams start dropping mathematically out of the playoff race. For instance, today's opponents Charlton are 11th which would normally still see them in contention, but even if they won every game to the end of the season they would only get 85 points. Currently 7th place (not even playoffs) is projected at 79 points so lose 2 more games and they're gone. Over season-long form Bolton in 6th are projected at 82 points which shows the season is already over for the midtable teams. I think others will soon fall away, but sadly it looks as if there will be 7 teams left for a long time, going for only 6 spots. 

Not sure whether I misread the sitch from the opposite end, but I got the distinct impression that Cashy was a tad excited after he scored!
It's almost like that Ram on his chest actually means something to him!  ?
I get the impression this guy will go all the way to the top... and I hope and pray it is with us!

#mancrush6

Thoroughly dominant win. The only slight criticism is that we weren't clinical in front of goal. I thought Harvey White was brilliant, a great addition to the squad. Sibley worked tirelessly hard. 

I think Mendez Laing could potentially be due a rest as it was his best day today. 

Great way to bounce back.

Interesting game. Until the second went in there was always the outside chance they might nick one against the run of play. Charlton have some good, strong quick and tricky players (17 was a handful) they aren’t afraid of hard knife edge challenges. Some were desperate and ragged. A physical side but they did try and play football. Just don’t think they are a bonded unit like us. 

We earned that win - could have had more, some lovely breaks and passing only to stumble with the final touch / bobble / pass / shot 

Thought the team played well and for each other. Love White, calm and controlled with some classy passes. Kept things ticking brilliantly. Got clobbered by their aggressive tackling - NML, Barks, Dobs all got hammered heavily too. Maybe legal but at times pretty ugly. Cash deserved his MOTM for a great performance against a bruiser (that was an old fashioned CF/CB personal war) and his goal. Even when he gets “done” his tenacity in recovery is exceptional. McG was a real line leader, Knight is our turbo overboost, never gave them a minute. 

Barks looked really peed off when subbed, first time I’ve seen a bad reaction in this squad .. what was that about I wonder? Still, the South Stand gave him a great salute so hope he’s back on side so to speak. 

Edited by jono

3 minutes ago, jono said:

Barks looked really peed off when subbed, first time I’ve seen a bad reaction in this squad .. what was that about I wonder? Still, the South Stand gave him a great salute so hope he’s back on side so to speak.

Had a few games out and probably rightly felt he'd played well. I actually like to see that in a player, them wanting to play and not wanting to be hooked off. To me that's healthy as long as they don't go full Ronaldo hissy-flounce, in which case they need throat-punching.

1 minute ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Had a few games out and probably rightly felt he'd played well. I actually like to see that in a player, them wanting to play and not wanting to be hooked off. To me that's healthy as long as they don't go full Ronaldo hissy-flounce, in which case they need throat-punching.

He did play well I thought. He has a better, more consistent first touch and control than many in this league. And he can cross dangerously .. always handy in a winger !

9 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Thoroughly dominant win. The only slight criticism is that we weren't clinical in front of goal. I thought Harvey White was brilliant, a great addition to the squad. Sibley worked tirelessly hard. 

I think Mendez Laing could potentially be due a rest as it was his best day today. 

Great way to bounce back.

Agree.  He struggled on Tuesday night too, me and the old man was saying exactly the same thing walking back to the car…