Morecambe (H) Sat 4th Feb

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:
4 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Who went for 7-0 ?

I did, I really felt that this would be the day when it would all come together, could easily have been seven.

When it reached 5-0 I thought we were nailed on for 6 or more. Then following the substitutions, although the team kept going for more we got stuck on 5. If he is not aware of it, someone needs to whisper in Paul Warne's ear that he is the only manager whose team has shipped six goals against the Rams at Pride Park since we moved there in 1997. He needs to rid himself of that embarrassment for his own pride. We want a 7 and Burton Albion wouldn't be a bad target for that. We owe them that. 

Come on Warney sort it out ?.

Second half - just wow

First half nothing just quite worked until that free kick. Like everyone was "where's Max?" Few gorgeous passes through by Collins though. Would love to hear PW's half time chat!!

great to see and hear the words of wisdom from ooooh Mark Wright. Suspect many too young to know the chant! 

But after the break just loved seeing us stream forward in waves. Didzy is pure class, just ridiculous. Think Dobbin thought "right they cant drag me back me now".  Knight just loving it too. 

So enjoying this season. Just what we needed. 

Ain't it Brill being a Ram? And we have laid one of our biggest bogies to bed as well!

people were pointing to Morecombe's run of form, others were pointing out that nearly all of their points in that run were at home, while lurking in the background is our habit of entertaining teams at Pride Park who haven't won away in decades, and giving them all the points! And this time, we didn't!

And first half they held on well and gave us a bit of a game. But only a bit - just two attempts on goal. My son wondered what had happened to Warne's high press, loads of energy type of game. But what a time to break the deadlock! Not so much as a boost for us, but a bitter blow for them. They had almost held out to half time, which is always a good target, especially for a team towards the bottom of the division. And the free kick was really clever - waited while Morecombe set their wall, dropping a hint that Diddzy was going to have a pop, then Collins just shifted the ball a couple of feet sideways to negate all the setting up of the wall! Brilliant!

Warne's "speed it up" call brought instant dividends with the second goal, and Morecombe's heads were gone, obvious by how they trudged back to the halfway line while we were whooping it up! The first penalty was a pretty soft one. Looking from the South Stand it looked possibly like Collins made a bit of a meal of it, but actually the defender kicked his foot quite hard, so it was a peno. The second peno was just stupid defending, and the "to you, to me" between Collins and McGoldrick was lovely! And yes, Knight's drag back to make an ocean of space for the shot was superb.

After a few semi no-shows, Collins had a really good game, and was unlucky several times, and if those pesky team mates didn't keep scoring goals, Dobbin would have been man of the match. He tore Morecombe a new one today, and his overall play is getting better and better. Hint: shooting either side of the goalkeeper might help, young lad, but well done today. You were brilliant! But stand out today was White! I know he only came on after Morecombe were already beaten, but boy doesn't he look good? He was in the middle of loads of good play, was immediately taking charge, taking free kicks and corners. His debut instantly reminded me of Gorgeous George's first match - I have the proud claim to have started the "Sign him up, sign him up" chant all those years ago. We can't sing that this time, but I have got high hopes for him. Hopefully we need to try and get him on loan for next season as well, and then sign him up!

In the end, despite playing a quite attacking game, Morecombe's first aim was to nick a point. They cam to stifle and block us, and were pretty handy with subtle pushes and shoves, but after 20 minutes of getting away with most of it, started to get a bit more blatant. But Derby don't get "roughed up" anymore, we just carry on doing what we do. So once the first goal went in, their game plan was in tatters. And whatever plan they had got for the second half got blown out of the water within ten minutes of the restart. And oooo look! The teams above us keep moving back towards us. Things are looking good! Oh and the ref. Mustn't forget him. The boy done OK in my humble opinion, only missing one card, and generally getting most things right. Oh, and my son put a tenner on a McGoldrick hat-trick, so he done good too!

Edited by DavesaRam

14 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2023/february/derek-adams-reaction--derby-county-a/

Some proper sour grapes from their gaffer post-match. Coleman-esque in fact. Must be something in the water up there ?

I got two minutes in and had to turn it off. Boo hoo. Maybe if you got 27000 at home you might have a bigger budget. It’s like us bleating on that Man Utd have got more money than us. Apart from the 5 goals and 26 shots created by the referee who didn’t book any of our players for not committing a foul it was pretty much even. 

3 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Morecambe played well first half, worked hard and frustrated us. Great time to score just before half time and then again early in the second half. 

What really impressed me today was the fitness and pressing. I know Warney talks about it but we are really seeing  the benefits now. 

If we work harder than teams in this league we will beat them because of the extra class we have in Didzy, NML, Dobbins etc. Jason Knight is a cheat code, the lad from Spurs looks classy, the team spirit looks like a promotion season to me.

We will sell out every away game and average over 27,000 for the rest of the season guaranteed. The Rams are going up ?

Kudos to the Morecambe fans, never stopped singing and their "five nil down, who gives a fck, we are Morecambe and we're staying up" song was class.

Only Derby could score 5 the week before I’m chasing tickets for the Barnsley game, blooming typical.

Yeah we’ll sell out, just need someone to help me out, that Derby Family you talk about @uttoxram75, let’s see it!

17 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2023/february/derek-adams-reaction--derby-county-a/

Some proper sour grapes from their gaffer post-match. Coleman-esque in fact. Must be something in the water up there ?

If you want a laugh, head to their YouTube channel to watch his pre match presser. I’m paraphrasing here, but the interviewer basically comments about how the recent results have done wonders for the goal difference and then says “without being negative, is goal difference something you have to consider?” when going to Pride Park. Manager obviously says yes. 

Oops.

32 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Second half - just wow

First half nothing just quite worked until that free kick. Like everyone was "where's Max?" Few gorgeous passes through by Collins though. Would love to hear PW's half time chat!!

great to see and hear the words of wisdom from ooooh Mark Wright. Suspect many too young to know the chant! 

But after the break just loved seeing us stream forward in waves. Didzy is pure class, just ridiculous. Think Dobbin thought "right they cant drag me back me now".  Knight just loving it too. 

So enjoying this season. Just what we needed. 

Me too. When we went to Bolton on 27th December, to reach the 92 points 'benchmark' for the automatic promotion places, we could only afford to drop 17 more points to achieve that. We came out of Bolton that day only being able to drop 15 more points - it was a taller order. But seven weeks later we've taken maximum points and we can still only afford to drop 15 points. It's getting better by the week.

As you say, just what we needed and and we're getting nearer by the week. It feels like something special's happening and let's hope we still have that feeling come close of play on May 7th.

COYR

The end to this season will be a lot of fun.

I think automatic promotion is still a long shot because Plymouth have shown enough over the course of the season to suggest they will bounce back and get back to winning regularly. One slip up and we’re a long way away really.

That said, what a job Warne is doing to have actually given us a genuine reason to ponder the idea of automatic promotion, instead of looking over our shoulders at the team in 7th.

Personally I want the Wembley win, but pipping Plymouth to 2nd in front of 4-6,000 Rams fans at Hillsborough on the last day would be special too if we somehow achieved it.

Six league wins in a row has given us an opportunity. Now we’ve just got to keep winning and see where it takes us. Finishing third after pushing for the top two would still give us a lot of confidence moving forward. We’re really in a win-win situation whatever happens when you think about it.

The next 5-6 games will set the tone for the run-in. If we can win 4 or 5 before going to Plymouth in March, the heat will be on and I’ll be scrambling for tickets for what I expected to be the one game I’d be able to get to being 45 minutes from sofa to seat.

Warne obsessives meet up on the Barbican in March, anyone?

22 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Only Derby could score 5 the week before I’m chasing tickets for the Barnsley game, blooming typical.

Yeah we’ll sell out, just need someone to help me out, that Derby Family you talk about @uttoxram75, let’s see it!

They'll go to general sale mate. I've not got the away games on me account to qualify for early tickets so I'm in the same boat!

Another brilliant result and performance today that must have others around the top worried. 

It was also an emotional day as the family of Kev Shepherd ( who sadly passed away last week) came up to his seat in the south stand and taped his picture onto his seat and then it brought a tear to my eye as his name was sung.