Port Vale (A) Tues 24th Jan

Just got home, I'm hoarse, got sore knees from too much bouncing and ringing in my ears from the absolute bonkers noise in the away end.

It's nights like these that David Clowes has given us back when they were so nearly taken away from us.

As for arguing about budgets and squad values, tonight of all nights!  There's only one thing you need to know - the togetherness of owner, squad, fans - it is priceless. 

Edited by angieram

15 minutes ago, angieram said:

Just got home, I'm hoarse, got sore knees from too much bouncing and ringing in my ears from the absolute bonkers noise in the away end.

It's nights like these that David Clowes has given us back when they were so nearly taken away from us.

As for arguing about budgets and squad values, tonight of all nights!  There's only one thing you need to know - the togetherness of owner, squad, fans - it is priceless. 

Post of the night (out of many contenders). Brought a tear to my eye. Thank you DC. 

We've come so far so fast. And yet it feels the foundations are solid. Come on you Rams. 

This felt like a "we are going up" type of late win. Think it was Portsmouth we beat in last mins under Jim Smith that felt like it was on, likewise I remember a late Giles Barnes away winner in the Billy Davies promotion.

Those top 2 both are in our sights now. Next league game we are at home to Morecombe, Wednesday play Plymouth.

1 hour ago, Kinder said:

We were right behind the goal, 3 rows back. It was absolutely mental when we got the winner, random blokes hugging and jumping on each other. I haven’t embraced that many strange men since that party round Michael Barrymore’s

I think that might been my dad if in upper part.

47 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

This felt like a "we are going up" type of late win. Think it was Portsmouth we beat in last mins under Jim Smith that felt like it was on, likewise I remember a late Giles Barnes away winner in the Billy Davies promotion.

Those top 2 both are in our sights now. Next league game we are at home to Morecombe, Wednesday play Plymouth.

Injury time win New Years Day against Norwich for me

1 hour ago, DB83 said:

I should know this but what is our highest ever points total for a league season?? And could we beat it this season and still potentially not go up??

I'm pretty sure that it is the Clough promotion season of 1968-69:

P42 W26 D11 L5 F65 A32 Pts 63

With 3 points for a win that would now equate to 89 points from 42 games. So, say 96 or 97 from 46 games.

If this team hits that, it can only afford to drop 10 or 11 more points but I think it would be certain for automatic promotion.

BTW, the Clough team after five games had drawn three and lost two and sat in the relegation zone. It went top of the table for the first time on November 30th but remained top for the rest of the season. It was a very special side, who several national pundits at the time said was the best Second Division side ever.  In its last 11 games, it won 10 and drew one. It was my favourite season out of 62. Three months before he died, Cloughie told me that was his own favourite season because the Second Division championship was the first trophy he had won as a player or manager. With Todd and Gemmill replacing Mackay and Carlin, that team became Champions of England just three years later.

It's a tall order for this team to reach the points numbers we are talking about but after tonight I don't rule it out just yet because it's getting better all the time.

COYR

1 hour ago, Ramslad1992 said:

She has zero interest in football  ?‍♂️ all her family are Grimsby fans so that probably explains why ?. I’d be brave enough to say it to her face! Honest! 

Don't knock Grimsby. It's a proper football town. It's always been one of my favourite away day destinations. Some good pubs in Cleethorpes and the fish 'n chips are simply heavenly ?. There's no room for prawn sandwiches there.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

7 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Never said he wasn’t any of those things, so yeah, agreed? I think?!

But for that specific moment I don’t disagree with any of the comments describing it. Write him off at your peril though. 

Make you’re mind up ?

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I fully agree with any restrictions placed on us that mean we should be trading at around break even, its fully justified given that, as a club, it is only months since we shafted the tax payer and small local businesses.

I totally agree that restrictions should be in place to ensure that we trade at around break even, but it is scandalous that not only are we given a budget, but that we are told how to spend that budget. Paying small transfer fees out of our wages budget can do no harm to our financial position, quite the contrary, actually.

Where is the financial sense that you can pay an old timer £250k a year but not be able to sign a promising youngster for £50k and pay him £150k per year?

Dobbin came in for loads of stick before his heroics.  Just look at his last dribble down the wing tho - the ball bobbling all over the place. Fozzy and Warne both mentioned the pitch. Hard for a player like Dobbin who relies so much on close control to adapt - the other players had the whole game to get used to a pitch that was degrading. 

16 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

It’s been mentioned already but big shout out to Springett for not giving up on that ball for the winning goal. Good chance it would’ve finished a draw if it went out. 
baby hat GIF

Was there any indication of what he’s like on the ball?

I’ve seen his running and lunging and he’s obviously a committed lad but can he play?

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

To be honest know one will know exactly what that agreement was with HMRC.  I will guarantee you that practically every player at every club championship and above has various companies set up for image rights, claiming they are a brand, investing in tax break artistic schemes, not bothering to send in tax returns and getting tax determined or has a chairman spending less than 90 days in the country claiming relief of double taxation. 

90 days and claiming double tax relief are two entirely different things as I am sure you know. And 90 days was never a statutory rule and is definitely not the "rule" since 2013. 

but anyway who is still buzzing this morning?