They're playing football now, not hoofball.

rammieib

7 minutes ago, David said:

Name me one manager that hasn't.

It's also very early days in Warne's tenure, things are great now but ultimately he has to take us up. 

Not suggesting we shouldn't enjoy the moment, I'd say we deserve it after everything we've been through. Just not sure it's time to start the "I told you so's", which you haven't said granted word for word, that's how it will come across though.

I'm sure Warne won't have had many sleepless nights over what us lot were saying on here when he arrived. He knows the game and has the support now which is all that matters.

Yes, most managers have something to prove to an extent.

It is early days indeed. Yes, he does have to take us up and also keep us up, so I am sure it won’t be long before he is back under the microscope.

I am not even in a position to say I told you so. I never said in the beginning that Warne would be amazing. I just felt that the appointment looked logical and sensible and had the potential to be very shrewd. It was something worth getting behind.

I didn’t defend Warne in the early days because I wanted to be right, but because I could see the club’s intent with this move. There were no guarantees.

If you read back the threads around the time of his appointment and his first 4-5 games, you’ll understand what I mean. People were on his back very unnecessarily.

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Of course people are behind Warne now.

Why wouldn’t you be when we are comfortably in the top six and unbeaten for months?

The mood and the reaction to his appointment in the early stages was quite hostile in some quarters, let’s not pretend otherwise.

It was hostile because he was replacing an already good, and young, manager. Hull are well up the league since Rosenior joined them, only one loss since he arrived in October. Remember, Warne has signed no-one yet. All of our current "success" (and we're still miles behind automatic promotion, btw) is due to the squad assembled by LR.

Edited by DB83

12 minutes ago, DB83 said:

It was hostile because he was replacing an already good, and young, manager. Hull are well up the league since Rosenior joined them, only one loss since he arrived in October. Remember, Warne has signed no-one yet. All of our current "success" (and we're still miles behind automatic promotion, btw) is due to the squad assembled by LR.

Rosenior was completely unproven. If he was ‘already good’, why didn’t he get the job permanently?

Hull are ‘well up the league’? They were 20th and now they’re 16th. He’s meeting the brief but let’s not over-egg it. He’s doing a respectable job. Nothing more, nothing less.

All of our success is due to the squad Rosenior assembled? What a great way to undermine the job our current manager is doing!

People said Warne would have to rip the squad up to get them ‘playing how he wants’. This has proved to be untrue. People said the football would be a turn off and attendances would drop to 12k. Again, it’s untrue.

We have signed no-one and gone on an unbeaten run stretching back to October. We have played with a left back at centre back, a central midfielder at right back and an attacking midfielder at left back, and we’re 12 games unbeaten in the league. Even many of Rosenior’s signings have performed better since he left.

But of course none of that is down to the current manager, is it?

8 hours ago, Needlesh said:

We are playing some lovely stuff in spells.

Tough couple of games coming up though. Can we deliver against a step up in quality from the three we just beat?

I’m hoping the fitness will be a big plus (as it showed in the cup ) Also the unmistakable sense that, unlike the start of the season, we are a team that really has “gelled” 

As an aside, what a difference Knight has made in releasing Hourihan. Connor was a gentleman footballer strolling around, a little dazed in unfamiliar neighbourhood, now he’s a canny old fox. 

I always back every manager when they’re in the door and am usually one of the last to turn. My immediate reaction to the appointment with outrage. Why have we not given the job to Liam who is doing a decent job and deserves our backing for sticking with us through last season’s chaos, and replace him with a hoof ball merchant who has only managed a small club and might get us out of this league but doesn’t have the credentials to make us competitive in the championship. I was in this space probably for a couple of days but I actually did my research and saw he’s a good guy who will manage with integrity and embody all the values of David Clowes, he will stop at nothing to do his best for the club, and furthermore he’s actually a good tactician and lives/breathes the game, maybe his style at Rotherham was borne out of making the best of the resources he had.

Fast forward and it’s safe to say I’m delighted Warne is at our club and more than a lot of managers I really want him to do well, and the coaching staff also. They seem really good people and this squad of players seem a really good bunch also.

A major positive of the s**** we’ve been through is it’s brought the club and the players closer to the fans again like the old days. They’re all relatable, there is no chance they will be taking flights to Blackpool. The higher up the pyramid you go the more out of touch the players and club are and you may reach mid table mediocrity in the premier league - but what then. Sure I want us to be back in the championship at the earliest opportunity and be competitive in that league as a minimum, and I want us to reach the premier league but what a ride it would be if we got there and if we did make it, we would certainly appreciate it more than we we wouldve done had we beat Villa. Hopefully the club can do it and keep the spirit and foundations of now 

Early days of Warne was painful reading some views on here. 

We had romanticising of Rosenior’s largely ineffectual, frankly boring, short passing game. Using players incapable of playing even in homage to Man City. We had barely put together a good 45 mins of a performance yet it was hailed as great football after he had gone. 

We then had people vehemently criticising Warne before we had even played a game based on his perceived style of play from people who had barely ever, if at all, seen Rotherham play.

Then when it didn’t come together within a couple of games it was then lauded as vindication for these opinions.

This thread is just admitting you had prejudged and you’re now apologising for it. 

Yesterday showed that we need three across the midfield.

The starting line up worked yesterday and Hourihane will be annoyed at his missed tackle which led to their first goal.

That apart, we were comfortably the best side for an hour.

The substitutions left Bird and Knight outnumbered.

Our attacking play was pretty exciting and if we had an out and out goal scoring CF we’d have had eight.

I had a great day out yesterday and there were quite a few of us in the home support.

Big up to the burger guy. Lovely.

Bolton should be a cracker.

Probably get pelters for this but I think I prefer our 1st goal yesterday to Bird’s rocket.  Really calm play and movement from the defence, lovely sprayed pass from Cashin, good feet and dinked cross from NML and Houihane busting a gut into the box to nod it home.  I think it’s fair to say that we wouldn’t have scored that goal during Warne’s first couple of months.

I can’t say I watched a lot of Rotherham when he was in charge, so can’t say whether what we’re playing now is pure Warne-Ball, but it looks from the outside that he’s adapted somewhat to the type of players he’s got at his disposal, instead of the other way around.  

1 minute ago, ramsbottom said:

Probably get pelters for this but I think I prefer our 1st goal yesterday to Bird’s rocket.  Really calm play and movement from the defence, lovely sprayed pass from Cashin, good feet and dinked cross from NML and Houihane busting a gut into the box to nod it home.  I think it’s fair to say that we wouldn’t have scored that goal during Warne’s first couple of months.

I can’t say I watched a lot of Rotherham when he was in charge, so can’t say whether what we’re playing now is pure Warne-Ball, but it looks from the outside that he’s adapted somewhat to the type of players he’s got at his disposal, instead of the other way around.  

I always vote for team goals over screamers in gotm competitions,  so I already know I'm in the minority.

There was a goal a couple of games ago at Pride Park where we worked through the field and passed the ball into the net. Poetry.

But every now and then, there's a screamer that puts all those, plus other rockets, in the shade. Bird's shot yesterday was one of those. 

I'd be very surprised if it isn't our Goal of the Season. 

8 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I think dispensing with 3 at the back and wing backs, which we all knew didn’t suit our players, is what has made the difference. At least he saw it and didn’t pig-headedly persist with it, as many other managers would have done, which is to his credit. I’m enjoying it all at the moment. 

I absolutely understand those who wanted Rosenior to stay and succeed, and I understand that some people were sceptical about Warne.

What the recent performances show is that patience is a virtue. Warne has now had some time to get to know the squad and players at his disposal. Partly through circumstance and partly through his own and his coaching team’s ability they have settled on a formation and style of play that works rather than their early intentions to replicate the tactics and formation that had worked for them previously, and they’re getting a tune out of the squad with players seemingly fitter and effective in their roles.

Further to that the players have had chance to adjust and settle, for anyone who claimed a couple of months back that as professional footballers they didn’t need that time I would say the evidence is clear now that they did. Watch any recent interview with members of the playing staff and there are clear comments about them now getting how “the gaffer” wants them to play. Similar to Ten Hag at Manure, early days they had a few pastings and now they’re doing well. 

I suppose my point is, we’re in a good moment now having had that time to adjust, and if we lose a couple it doesn’t mean the wheels have come off. It’s a marathon not a sprint, what matters is where we are at the finish line in May so enjoy the good moments and don’t get too down if and when we have a wobble. ? 

As many have said a lot of the criticism of Warne in the first few weeks was the perception of the type of football we’d play.  I think budget is a big factor in that.  At Rotherham he’ll have had a really small budget, probably smaller than ours even with the Business Plan restrictions.  Because of that, the quality of the players he can sign will have ben a bit limited.  He had to get a way of playing to get the most out of those he could sign.  If he can sign players of better quality, then it follows he can play a better quality football.

@Jourdanis bang on the money in this thread. 

The moaning and groaning of the Warne appointment was embarrassing. Yes everyone’s entitled to an opinion but

A. we wasn’t exactly ripping the league up under LR.    
B. Our away form continued to be depressing pre Warne.  
C. It wasn’t like we appointed Iain Dowie, this is a man who’s got promoted 3 times from this league.   
D. After being on the edge of extinction I think DC was allowed to bring his own man in. After all it’s his money. 

Anyway now we’re on the up it’s better for everyone and long may it continue. 

9 hours ago, Jourdan said:

It’s nice to see that Warne is converting people from sceptics to believers.

But let’s be honest, our fanbase should have been right behind him from the very beginning.

It’s not like he fluked one promotion. He’s won three. He’s a very good coach at this level and exactly what we needed.

Hear! Hear! I was surprised when people questioned Warne not because I’m a “blind faither / happy clapper” but because he so obviously knows what he’s doing. Barring injuries this success will continue and after the awful last 18 months I’d advise Rams fans to continue offering brilliant support and enjoy it. Memories Will be made this season that will stay in your football memory bank for ever. 

A bit of confusion on here I think. I was very vocal (unusually for me) not about the appointment of Warne but about some of the early performances. 

Quite frankly a few of the early performances were appalling kick and rush affairs and if we were still doing it I would be vocal about it now. 

Credit to Paul Warne, the management team and players that we have now got much more control and fluidity in our play. Long may it continue but if we resort to kick and hope again I for one am calling it out. What's wrong with that? 

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Not at all, no pelter from me.  In the heat of the moment Bird’s rocket would have got the biggest roar, but in the cold light of day, the first goal was a one of proper quality and the sign of a team that are reading each other’s intent, which in the bigger picture is more important than Bird’s individual stunner.

My lad was pretty anti Warne, but is slowly coming round.  I was always a little bit more pro than him due to my dislike of to continual passing left and right and overly (IMHO) intricate play under Rosenior.  What I am liking now is the fact we are mixing it up a bit, keeping the opposition guessing. I think that we are playing attractive higher paced quick football, and the fitness levels seem higher than I have seen in a Derby team for a while.

Was concerned about the style of football. The Port Vale game early on was basically an embodiment of what I feared it would be but thankfully was an exception.

Even amongst this good run there has been some crap. Burton, Morecambe, Exeter and even the Ipswich game, I know it was the last time we lost which is impressive, but it was a really grim performance.

We are tough to beat and that’s a great trait to have and play some half decent football now. I didn’t like the hire in the first place as it felt eerily similar to some of the off field decisions under Mel. What’s happened since shows I was probably wrong on that which is a huge relief. 

I think some people had made their minds up about Warne before we'd even kicked a ball and compounded with the harsh departure of LR, it made a pretty negative atmosphere on here and in the ground around his arrival.

If you expected success and anything but disjointed performances from the first few games then that's more fool you. We were stuttering under LR after 12 games so I feel he got a rough ride early doors. I'm still of the opinion it wasn't even hoofball, people were just seeing what they wanted to. If you look back through those early games there are stats that posters have contributed that argue the exact opposite. 

A good run so far but he's not achieved anything yet. Deserves a chance over the next 12/24 months to try and get us up. 

If you can get past the overly-excitable press conferences he's seems a good bloke. The We Are Derby videos give you a better picture of his management/leadership style and a good view of what kind of man he is. He's loved up here in SY and the locals are interested to see what he can do with some actual resources (eventually anyway!).