They're playing football now, not hoofball.

rammieib

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I think you do Warne and the players a disservice here.

In every league, there will be differences in quality and the haves and the have nots.

Yes, we are fortunate to be amongst the two or three biggest clubs in the division and that brings us a degree of competitive advantage. You’re right in suggesting that.

At the end of the day though, you still have to go out there, be professional, be switched on, and let your quality show.

The fact we’ve gone 12 games unbeaten in the league suggests to me the manager is doing a very astute job and has got the players laser-focused. It’s a testament to the manager.

If it was that straightforward and that simple, why have so many big clubs over the years struggled to get back out of the division again? How many teams went to Elland Road, the City Ground, Bramall Lane, the Stadium of Light and got the scalp they were looking for?

Even looking at the season, why did we slip up at Lincoln and Charlton earlier on in the season and why have we managed to draw so many games under Warne?

Yes, there are numerous teams that can’t match us for quality, but we still have to apply ourselves correctly to get the desired results. I think Warne deserves a lot of credit for that. There are trip hazards everywhere you look in this league.

I gave the appropriate credit where due. We work harder than others and we have more quality.

As for other teams failure to get back up, you'd have to ask their fans.

At a guess, unlike us they were relegated because they didn't have a very good team, big squads, wages too high and a lot of deadwood that needed clearing out before they could move forward, while carrying a lot of negative energy from the relegation season.

We on the other hand pretty much had a fresh start. Despite all the s*** that went down, last season was one of unity, fighting against the odds - we've carried a fair bit of that  through to this season.

Even with our restrictions we still had the ability to bring in players most teams in the division wouldn't be able to afford the wages of.

Not that other teams failures are even relevant - League One in 2022/23 isn't the same league they were playing in. It's changed a lot since the teams mentioned came down.

What people expected it to be like and what it's actually like are miles apart. Instead of big strong physical teams trying to kick us to bits us and aerially bombard our backline most teams actually try to play football now - it's just that they're not very good at it! 

We were warned that teams would be desperate to beat us and up their game to suit... well they bloody haven't. 

Why did we slip up at Charlton & Lincoln? A failure to take multiple chances (if we had a fit McGoldrick it may have been a different matter) and a team who were fitter than one who started the season 2 weeks behind everyone and we're trying to bed in a whole new squad during a busy schedule of games, perhaps? 

Point stands, we're doing very well, but not really a great deal more than we should expect when you actually look at the league for what it is.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, Magicman said:

I liked the Barkhuzien goal more than Birds too. 

Birds was one of those Worldies and spectacularly yummy out of your seat. A belter.

But Barks was a beautifully subtle side foot scuff away from the goalie, thoughtful and panic free. Classy and effective in tricky circumstances 

I was sure either way about bringing Warne in, but had at least some hopes, because until then we could put together some lovely looking moves, but they tended to produce nothing. I could see that we could end up being the most attractive playing relegated side in League 1, even though Rosenior had got us to 7th place. But by then, the opposition had got us sussed, and our single dimension couldn't do anything about the sussing.

I didn't like the kick and rush approach, and we were not easy on the eye in any way, shape or form. But at least whenever we got the ball, it seemed that something would happen. It was the speed of getting the ball forwards, as far as I am concerned. And Paul Warne did stubbornly stick with his 3 at the back and hoof it methodology. A bit like when Ray Wilkins got suspended in the whatever years World Cup it was, and suddenly England stared playing better, Warned was forced to go 4 at the back, and suddenly things started to look batter. And thankfully he is man enough to go with what was working, regardless of how he personally wanted to take us.

There are two issues which have been key to our coming to life. The first one is the fitness issue - he has got the players leaving everything on the pitch, to the point of having to crawl up before the full 90 is up in some cases. It is paying dividends, and we are now fitter and outlasting the opposition consistently, with the benefit that we now have players operating within their limits instead of being at their limits for most of the match. And secondly he has spotted potential in players whose playing position seemed set in stone. The transformation of Fozzy isn't because he should always been a centre half, but that Paul has put him there, and had to because of circumstance, but has clearly worked with him and developed him in his new role. Even for an old warhorse, there is always something to be learned! And young Sibbers! It has helped that Paul has given the lad a chance, but has also seen his potential for the new role - one which I reckon none of us could seeing as applying to Louie. And again, the reward are there to be seen. The only question is "What has he been doing with the rest of the squad that we haven't noticed yet?

and despite Paul not signing anyone yet, and most of us thinking we needed quite a number of new faces, I wouldn't mind  if all we sign is someone who knows where the onion bag is. someone in this thread said if we had got such a player on Saturday we would have scored 8!

The 5 - 0 whooping of Spurs for may first match back in 1973, the second play-off semi against Brighton (and that whole Steve Mac 1 era are high spots for me out of the last almost 50 years, but I am sure that we are in a season which will join those permanent high spot memories! Woo Hoo!

57 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I was sure either way about bringing Warne in, but had at least some hopes, because until then we could put together some lovely looking moves, but they tended to produce nothing. I could see that we could end up being the most attractive playing relegated side in League 1, even though Rosenior had got us to 7th place. But by then, the opposition had got us sussed, and our single dimension couldn't do anything about the sussing.

I didn't like the kick and rush approach, and we were not easy on the eye in any way, shape or form. But at least whenever we got the ball, it seemed that something would happen. It was the speed of getting the ball forwards, as far as I am concerned. And Paul Warne did stubbornly stick with his 3 at the back and hoof it methodology. A bit like when Ray Wilkins got suspended in the whatever years World Cup it was, and suddenly England stared playing better, Warned was forced to go 4 at the back, and suddenly things started to look batter. And thankfully he is man enough to go with what was working, regardless of how he personally wanted to take us.

There are two issues which have been key to our coming to life. The first one is the fitness issue - he has got the players leaving everything on the pitch, to the point of having to crawl up before the full 90 is up in some cases. It is paying dividends, and we are now fitter and outlasting the opposition consistently, with the benefit that we now have players operating within their limits instead of being at their limits for most of the match. And secondly he has spotted potential in players whose playing position seemed set in stone. The transformation of Fozzy isn't because he should always been a centre half, but that Paul has put him there, and had to because of circumstance, but has clearly worked with him and developed him in his new role. Even for an old warhorse, there is always something to be learned! And young Sibbers! It has helped that Paul has given the lad a chance, but has also seen his potential for the new role - one which I reckon none of us could seeing as applying to Louie. And again, the reward are there to be seen. The only question is "What has he been doing with the rest of the squad that we haven't noticed yet?

and despite Paul not signing anyone yet, and most of us thinking we needed quite a number of new faces, I wouldn't mind  if all we sign is someone who knows where the onion bag is. someone in this thread said if we had got such a player on Saturday we would have scored 8!

The 5 - 0 whooping of Spurs for may first match back in 1973, the second play-off semi against Brighton (and that whole Steve Mac 1 era are high spots for me out of the last almost 50 years, but I am sure that we are in a season which will join those permanent high spot memories! Woo Hoo!

There must be a Bobby Davison out there somewhere. Thats all we need to get out of this division, one out and out instinctive goal poacher and we'd get promoted either through the play offs or even autos.

Didzy scores some crackers and others like Barks, Mendez-Laing, Collins and Houriane contribute but how many times do we see the ball flash across the box without someone gambling on making a run rather than waiting for the perfect cross.

21 hours ago, David said:

Having doubts over Warne's style of football and Rooney's experience for example really isn't any different. 

Warne’s style at Rovrum was dictated by that club’s cheque book. 
Rooney’s lack of experience was an inescapable fact, one which we had to endure week in week out

so they were different 

Warne's Rotherham didn't play hoofball. People who made that claim originally had never sat down and really watched his team play and just listened to social media talking points. The style of play nonsense got so overblown. I'm glad people are starting to give him chance, but the opinion of him was terrible on here before we even kicked a ball. 

34 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Warne’s style at Rovrum was dictated by that club’s cheque book. 
Rooney’s lack of experience was an inescapable fact, one which we had to endure week in week out

so they were different 

You're assuming that is the case. So no, not different at all.

I'm not ashamed to say that PWs appointment didn't really inspire me. Pretty much for the same reasons others have stated. LR should have been given more time and the misconception of PWs style of play being one dimensional. It felt disloyal to Liam after the way he'd conducted himself during his time here. I really hope things work out for him at Hull, he thoroughly deserves it. 

The other thing I got wrong about PW was that he initially, (to me anyway), came across in his interviews a bit Rowettesque. However after listening to him over the last few months that couldn't be further from the truth. He has far more integrity and believability in what he says. 

Yes he's definitely a bit quirky and bit, as someone else also mentioned, David Brent at times but I find that endearing. Whereas you'd imagine Rowett going home and looking in the mirror and telling himself how wonderful he is. PW is going home and texting the players, trying to get to know them better.

It may seem a minor thing but I think the buying of mugs for players that score is quite a clever way of building a competitive nature within the squad. His infectious enthusiasm is obviously having a positive effect on the squad too. Long may it continue. 

10 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Think the “oldtimers “ is catching up with you @DavesaRam. It was the Arsenal 5-0 win in 1973 the spurs one was 1969 ?

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
added a bit

17 hours ago, plymouthram said:

B. Our away form continued to be depressing pre Warne.  =We only lost one away game under L.R. and that was at 1-0 at Charlton in which we could have won if our team had their shooting boots on in game we totally dominated.

Not sure that’s the case.  We also lost 2-0 away at Lincoln under Liam and our away league record pre Warne was played 4, 2 draws and 2 defeats with zero goals scored.  

Under Warne our league away record is played 9, won 4, drawn 4 and 1 defeat - 13 goals scored

Edited by Donnyram

15 minutes ago, Donnyram said:

Not sure that’s the case.  We also lost 2-0 away at Lincoln under Liam and our away league record pre Warne was played 4, 2 draws and 2 defeats with zero goals scored.  

Under Warne our league away record is played 9, won 4, drawn 4 and 1 defeat - 13 goals scored

And that Lincoln game was absolutely woeful. We were completely off it all game, from the first minute we were destined to lose that one.

6 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Think the “oldtimers “ is catching up with you @DavesaRam. It was the Arsenal 5-0 win in 1973 the spurs one was 1969 ?

Couldnt move in the packed baseball ground. Dosnt it hold the record for a derby match at home. Can always remember the excitment of seeing the great Greavsie play.

On 14/01/2023 at 22:01, rammieib said:

One of my criticisms at the beginning when Warne came in is we all knew his style was direct and get the ball into the other half as fast as we can and try and win second balls and play from there. I think the team originally struggled with what that meant and how to execute it.

One of the key differences for me in this run is that Warne is allowing his defensive players to actually work the ball and pass it between us. It’s not as frequent as the LR style but it’s a definite shift from early Warne days.

We are constantly now in the 50-60% possession stat. Wildsmith gives a lot more short goal kicks and we definitely allow CF and EC more freedoms on the ball. 

I for one am really enjoying it now because it isn’t hoofball for 90 minutes. A lot of our better goals come from the passing passages of play - Hourihane header today for instance was a nice move with the EC diagonal after some passing in the defence. If you look back over the recent goals since December a lot more are worked plays. Hourihane against Accrington, McGoldrick first goal against Forest Green. All were excellent team moves.

I feel that Warne now trusts them and he’s striking the correct balance between ball retention, long balls, direct balls into Collins and playing the triangles of play to create space. There is a decent mix in there so we are not too one dimensional.

Well done Warne and his team. This is starting to get fun.

Nailed it. I think a good few clever chaps on here pointed out that above all, Warne is a pragmatist and sets up to play according to the tools at his disposal. Initially, I think he just wanted to make us harder to beat and to get the team fit enough to play the way he wants for the full 90 minutes and some. That's allowed him to start to execute his masterplan and what a plan it's looking!  Far from being a hoofball team, most recently, we've been playing teams off the park. 15(?) goals in our last 5 or something like that? It tells it's own story.

I still think the LR issue could have been handled better, but it's impossible to suggest that Warne was a poor replacement now and I think that quite rightly, nearly all of us have moved on. Warne has earned that much in spades. Happily, Liam is also doing great at Hull, so all's well that ends well, I guess. I think I and others will rightly always be grateful to him in any case and I would hope he knows that.

A last thought... I keep saying it, but Mr Clowes really has played an absolute blinder, so much more than just being our financial saviour. The club seems so united and focussed these days, but for the right reasons, not mere siege mentality. I'm really enjoying this season and I wasn't sure I would. I'd dearly love to see him reap the financial rewards for his courage and loyalty, though I suspect his motivations would be rather less grand in that regard. More power to him. 

COYR.

1 hour ago, Kathcairns said:

Couldnt move in the packed baseball ground. Dosnt it hold the record for a derby match at home. Can always remember the excitment of seeing the great Greavsie play.

Yes the Spurs 5-0 drubbing in 1969 is the record crowd for as DCFC home game. Unfortunately, Les Green broke Greaves heart, making a save and holding onto the ball after it had gone past him: remarkable !

18 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

There must be a Bobby Davison out there somewhere. Thats all we need to get out of this division, one out and out instinctive goal poacher and we'd get promoted either through the play offs or even autos.

Didzy scores some crackers and others like Barks, Mendez-Laing, Collins and Houriane contribute but how many times do we see the ball flash across the box without someone gambling on making a run rather than waiting for the perfect cross.

A salute to Liam. Collins was that guy but the half yard of pace that served him well in a solid career isn’t quite there. He gets caught offside because he knows there’s 5% of nitro missing in the muscles but his brain knows what to do and is trying to compensate. ….. The point of all this is .. yes you’re right we need a stiletto carrying robber. We are making the opportunities, just need the executioner 

3 hours ago, Kathcairns said:

And that 99% certain goal from greavsie, was it Les green who stopped it, greavsie could not believe it was saved, what days we had at the Baseball ground.

3 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Nailed it. I think a good few clever chaps on here pointed out that above all, Warne is a pragmatist and sets up to play according to the tools at his disposal. Initially, I think he just wanted to make us harder to beat and to get the team fit enough to play the way he wants for the full 90 minutes and some. That's allowed him to start to execute his masterplan and what a plan it's looking!  Far from being a hoofball team, most recently, we've been playing teams off the park. 15(?) goals in our last 5 or something like that? It tells it's own story.

I still think the LR issue could have been handled better, but it's impossible to suggest that Warne was a poor replacement now and I think that quite rightly, nearly all of us have moved on. Warne has earned that much in spades. Happily, Liam is also doing great at Hull, so all's well that ends well, I guess. I think I and others will rightly always be grateful to him in any case and I would hope he knows that.

A last thought... I keep saying it, but Mr Clowes really has played an absolute blinder, so much more than just being our financial saviour. The club seems so united and focussed these days, but for the right reasons, not mere siege mentality. I'm really enjoying this season and I wasn't sure I would. I'd dearly love to see him reap the financial rewards for his courage and loyalty, though I suspect his motivations would be rather less grand in that regard. More power to him. 

COYR.

Agree with every bit of that. Says it all.

I think we are on the third longest undefeated run in the 62 years I have been watching Derby in Warne's first season.; Cloughy went on the longest in his second season and Jim Smith went on the next in his first season. David Clowes had a choice to make, he made it and on what we have seen so far the last thing anyone should be doing is knocking him for the choice he made. Otherwise he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

The team are clearly behind Paul Warne and they see and hear him every day. I can't believe the doubters want to make themselves heard at this stage. Save it for later fellas or hopefully never at all.

COYR