They're playing football now, not hoofball.

rammieib

10 hours ago, DB83 said:

It was hostile because he was replacing an already good, and young, manager. Hull are well up the league since Rosenior joined them, only one loss since he arrived in October. Remember, Warne has signed no-one yet. All of our current "success" (and we're still miles behind automatic promotion, btw) is due to the squad assembled by LR.

He deserves massive credit for the recruitment in the summer as it was a very difficult situation but come on, we wouldn't have even turned round that game yesterday under Rosenior.

I think Warne had to win over at least a small section of the fanbase due to his comments after the final game of the season, when he was told Derby had stayed up at the expense of both Sheff Wed and his Rotherham team. Add into that he'd failed to keep Rotherham up every time he'd taken them to the Championship, some people probably thought he was a tactically a weak manager. 

I'm glad he's starting to prove people wrong. 

13 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

He deserves massive credit for the recruitment in the summer as it was a very difficult situation but come on, we wouldn't have even turned round that game yesterday under Rosenior.

How do we know that? 

Rosenior didn’t get the chance to prove himself properly, but I don’t care anymore. It’s a rare case in football where the situation seems to have worked out for everyone (other than Rotherham).

9 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Rosenior was completely unproven. If he was ‘already good’, why didn’t he get the job permanently?

Hull are ‘well up the league’? They were 20th and now they’re 16th. He’s meeting the brief but let’s not over-egg it. He’s doing a respectable job. Nothing more, nothing less.

All of our success is due to the squad Rosenior assembled? What a great way to undermine the job our current manager is doing!

People said Warne would have to rip the squad up to get them ‘playing how he wants’. This has proved to be untrue. People said the football would be a turn off and attendances would drop to 12k. Again, it’s untrue.

We have signed no-one and gone on an unbeaten run stretching back to October. We have played with a left back at centre back, a central midfielder at right back and an attacking midfielder at left back, and we’re 12 games unbeaten in the league. Even many of Rosenior’s signings have performed better since he left.

But of course none of that is down to the current manager, is it?

It’s funny, remember some Clough fans saying Mac built his success on the team Clough assembled. Is it any different? Maybe not, but it totally undermines the impact that Warne has had on getting more from the players, by adopting different tactics and systems. 

I’m another Warne convert, you have to give credit where it’s due.

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

We are tough to beat

17 games undefeated says that's true, but honestly there's a difference between being tough to beat and coming up against opposition utterly incapable of exploiting your weaknesses and taking advantage of your mistakes, which has often been the case in this league.

We still give away plenty of chances. If a better team than Cheltenham (lowest scorers in the league and we gave them 2 goals) took the same approach as Cheltenham did against us we'd have problems. But they don't. You could almost call some of our games in this run uncontested such has been the lack of threat posed by many of the opposition we've faced.

Defensively, it's amazing the number of teams who simply can't cope with someone running at them.

It's probably a bit of both with us, because you can't fluke it for that many games, but the main thing is we score enough (the actual quality we possess is above League One standard) and work hard enough (not always a given) to cover most shortcomings.

We've been very fortunate with the fixture scheduling, never really had a tough 3-4 game run, enabling us to build up a rather useful amount of confidence and momentum, which hopefully will see us take the next step up to beat other top 6 contenders in league matches.

Edited by Kokosnuss

16 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

17 games undefeated says that's true, but honestly there's a difference between being tough to beat and coming up against opposition utterly incapable of exploiting your weaknesses and taking advantage of your mistakes, which has often been the case in this league.

We still give away plenty of chances. If a better team than Cheltenham (lowest scorers in the league and we gave them 2 goals) took the same approach as Cheltenham did against us we'd have problems. But they don't. You could almost call some of our games in this run uncontested such has been the lack of threat posed by many of the opposition we've faced.

Defensively, it's amazing the number of teams who simply can't cope with someone running at them.

It's probably a bit of both with us, because you can't fluke it for that many games, but the main thing is we score enough (the actual quality we possess is above League One standard) and work hard enough (not always a given) to cover most shortcomings.

We've been very fortunate with the fixture scheduling, never really had a tough 3-4 game run, enabling us to build up a rather useful amount of confidence and momentum, which hopefully will see us take the next step up to beat other top 6 contenders in league matches.

I think you do Warne and the players a disservice here.

In every league, there will be differences in quality and the haves and the have nots.

Yes, we are fortunate to be amongst the two or three biggest clubs in the division and that brings us a degree of competitive advantage. You’re right in suggesting that.

At the end of the day though, you still have to go out there, be professional, be switched on, and let your quality show.

The fact we’ve gone 12 games unbeaten in the league suggests to me the manager is doing a very astute job and has got the players laser-focused. It’s a testament to the manager.

If it was that straightforward and that simple, why have so many big clubs over the years struggled to get back out of the division again? How many teams went to Elland Road, the City Ground, Bramall Lane, the Stadium of Light and got the scalp they were looking for?

Even looking at the season, why did we slip up at Lincoln and Charlton earlier on in the season and why have we managed to draw so many games under Warne?

Yes, there are numerous teams that can’t match us for quality, but we still have to apply ourselves correctly to get the desired results. I think Warne deserves a lot of credit for that. There are trip hazards everywhere you look in this league.

I think (and obviously not on the same level or with the same quality) but our current way of playing reminds me of how Eddie Howe is setting up Newcastle. And maybe there’s a reason they’re 14 league games unbeaten and we are 12 as it seems to be effective. 

Pressing with a solid defence and mixing up passing with longer balls at the right times - there’s a few symmetries there in the system and tactics. Giving players freedom in a structure.  

i am not afraid to see i thought the warne appointment was unnesserey at the time, things were going okay but there was a clear plan. then it was thrown out and the appointment of warn puzzled me however good his track record was.

but hes proving me wrong, we are playing great stuff at the moment and look nailed on for the playoffs which would be a great achievement considering where we came from in the summer.

14 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Of course people are behind Warne now.

Why wouldn’t you be when we are comfortably in the top six and unbeaten for months?

The mood and the reaction to his appointment in the early stages was quite hostile in some quarters, let’s not pretend otherwise.

I hold my hand up to being not happy with his appointment, but that was based on his style of play with Rotherham. He can and has adapted to different playing styles. I think we can put that down to the players we have, most are better quality than Warne had at Rotherham. So lets not forget this squad was quickly put together by Liam Rosenior and he must be given credit for that (Yes Paul Warne gave him credit).

1 hour ago, Zag zig said:

It’s funny, remember some Clough fans saying Mac built his success on the team Clough assembled. Is it any different? Maybe not, but it totally undermines the impact that Warne has had on getting more from the players, by adopting different tactics and systems. 

I’m another Warne convert, you have to give credit where it’s due.

Yes credit goes to the current manager and his coaching staff and we will never know if under Rosenior if he would have adapted with the style of play and also improved the team. Lets look at one major factor, Liam Rosenior assembled a squad in a very short period of time and over time they have got better. Any new team, especially the amount of incoming players we had would have taken some time to gel and the coach would have been looking for his best style/formula/tactics and a set period of time.

15 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

When Warne gets sacked after failing to win the Champions League in 2027 some of us will not be happy about it but we'll still get behind the new man.

After divering back to back promotions, followed by the quadruple in 25/6, his standards were set though. Had to go.

15 hours ago, Jourdan said:

It’s nice to see that Warne is converting people from sceptics to believers.

But let’s be honest, our fanbase should have been right behind him from the very beginning.

It’s not like he fluked one promotion. He’s won three. He’s a very good coach at this level and exactly what we needed.

Exactly - I seem to remember Jim Smith’s appointment was met with a relatively lukewarm response but he won everyone over and we know how successful he went on to be

lets hope for something similar 

I think that we are playing a nice hybrid of Rosenoir's and Warne's preferred styles. As others have said it must have been / be very difficult for Warne given that he has not signed anyone, but has had to work with Rosenoir's hastily assembled squad. Given the continued restrictions we are under the biggest challenge might be what are we allowed to do if we actually get promoted? 

6 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

@Jourdanis bang on the money in this thread. 

The moaning and groaning of the Warne appointment was embarrassing. Yes everyone’s entitled to an opinion but

A. we wasn’t exactly ripping the league up under LR.    
B. Our away form continued to be depressing pre Warne.  
C. It wasn’t like we appointed Iain Dowie, this is a man who’s got promoted 3 times from this league.   
D. After being on the edge of extinction I think DC was allowed to bring his own man in. After all it’s his money. 

Anyway now we’re on the up it’s better for everyone and long may it continue. 

I was one that moaned and groaned when Warne was appointed and that was based on his hoofball football at Rotherham. I know fans will bang on about his 3 promotions, but don't forget he also had 2 relegations. What has surprised me with our coaching team, is we are actually mixing it up and playing good football. Whether that is down to the good players we have in the squad and many could easily grace a place in a Championship team.

A. we wasn't exactly ripping the league up under L.R.  =In his defence, I would say look at the table after those 9 league games. We were 7th, out of the top 6 on goal diff. We were 7 points behind Ipswich (we are still 7 points behind Ipswich).

B. Our away form continued to be depressing pre Warne.  =We only lost one away game under L.R. and that was at 1-0 at Charlton in which we could have won if our team had their shooting boots on in game we totally dominated.

C. It wasn't like we appointed Ian Dowie, this is a man who's got promoted 3 times from this league.   =Like I stated earlier, he's also got 2 relegations on his CV. We have given him a long contract, lets hope he can prove himself, get us promotion and not come back down. In his favour and no disrespect to Rotherham, Warne should be able to attract better players to a club like Derby to strengthen in the future seasons.

D. After being on the edge of extinction I think D.C. was allowed to bring his own man in. After all it's his money.    =Well to a certain extent I agree on this statement, but it might have been a board decision and not David going alone on this.

39 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

B. Our away form continued to be depressing pre Warne.  =We only lost one away game under L.R. and that was at 1-0 at Charlton in which we could have won if our team had their shooting boots on in game we totally dominated.

C. It wasn't like we appointed Ian Dowie, this is a man who's got promoted 3 times from this league.   =Like I stated earlier, he's also got 2 relegations on his CV. We have given him a long contract, let’s hope he can prove himself, get us promotion and not come back down. In his favour and no disrespect to Rotherham, Warne should be able to attract better players to a club like Derby to strengthen in the future seasons.

B - The majority of away games were like that, but I’d say Charlton was the outlier because we actually created some clear cut chances. Go back and watch the Fleetwood & Shrewsbury games and we had a tonne of possession but barely had a worthwhile effort on goal.

C - Warne said in early interviews that he tried to sign both Houihane & Smith, but they both chose to come here.  That shows you how players regard Rotherham. If/when we’re promoted he will have a bigger budget, and be in charge of a club with the stature to attract quality players

3 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

We've been very fortunate with the fixture scheduling, never really had a tough 3-4 game run,

I'm not so sure about that. November was pretty tough : 7 games in the month, 6 away from home, leading to the home clash with the Wendies. 2 tough cup ties on poor pitches at non-league and league 2 grounds, and a walk in the park at Anfield. We played on almost every day of the week it seemed. That took some character and stamina.

I think what Warne's done well is to adapt his style more to suit the squad; get Smith and Sibley settled in at fullback; get the players to be braver in looking for the decisive pass; make us less susceptible to counter-attacks; kept the squad fresh, happy and together with mini rotations. We're developing a distinct character. 

9 hours ago, Srg said:

Early days of Warne was painful reading some views on here. 

We had romanticising of Rosenior’s largely ineffectual, frankly boring, short passing game. Using players incapable of playing even in homage to Man City. We had barely put together a good 45 mins of a performance yet it was hailed as great football after he had gone. 

We then had people vehemently criticising Warne before we had even played a game based on his perceived style of play from people who had barely ever, if at all, seen Rotherham play.

Then when it didn’t come together within a couple of games it was then lauded as vindication for these opinions.

This thread is just admitting you had prejudged and you’re now apologising for it. 

I didn’t know if Warne was any good but for me, I didn’t pre judge. I had respect for Liam, especially his recruitment. Yet very much like Nigel, he could spot a good player but it took a different animal to get the best out of them. That’s something Warne has done. I liked the cut of Warne’s jib from day one. Open, frank, human and humorous . I got a bit nervous when he over tried the wing back thing with ageing flyboys - but he was bright enough to realise (after an experiment) that it didn’t quite suit the pack of cards he had - and he adapted rather than be dogmatic. We are where we are because the team took time to gel and we had the “DCFC is a scalp” lift from visiting teams. If this team in its current state had started the season we would be 4 or 5 points better off, maybe not top two but breathing down their necks. Within the skill confines of L1 we are playing good football that is a pleasure to watch. I spy a team playing together with joined up effort and spirit which is absolutely delightful regardless of results I’m a very happy pixie. 

I haven’t looked forward to a cup tie like West Ham since I can’t remember- I feel closer to our men than ever.

I saw a recent opposition manager said his team were out fought by us. How often has that been said about us over the last 5 years or so?

Another plus, we are actually using Bird, Knight and Sibley in a way that seems to be getting the best out of them.

Isn't it refreshing to see us actually play in a way which isn't stuck in the same gear. I think Warne tried to force his tried and tested on the squad with his wing backs, he wasn't stubborn. An adaptable manager!

The players believe in him, the owner believes in him, about time we all did and start looking forward.