They're playing football now, not hoofball.

rammieib

One of my criticisms at the beginning when Warne came in is we all knew his style was direct and get the ball into the other half as fast as we can and try and win second balls and play from there. I think the team originally struggled with what that meant and how to execute it.

One of the key differences for me in this run is that Warne is allowing his defensive players to actually work the ball and pass it between us. It’s not as frequent as the LR style but it’s a definite shift from early Warne days.

We are constantly now in the 50-60% possession stat. Wildsmith gives a lot more short goal kicks and we definitely allow CF and EC more freedoms on the ball. 

I for one am really enjoying it now because it isn’t hoofball for 90 minutes. A lot of our better goals come from the passing passages of play - Hourihane header today for instance was a nice move with the EC diagonal after some passing in the defence. If you look back over the recent goals since December a lot more are worked plays. Hourihane against Accrington, McGoldrick first goal against Forest Green. All were excellent team moves.

I feel that Warne now trusts them and he’s striking the correct balance between ball retention, long balls, direct balls into Collins and playing the triangles of play to create space. There is a decent mix in there so we are not too one dimensional.

Well done Warne and his team. This is starting to get fun.

Edited by uttoxram75

The injuries we had early in warnes reign stopped any chance of him continuing his preferred 352 and falling on this 442/433 system suits the players we have to a tee. The makeshift back 4 we have fell apon is now undroppable and like you say cashin has excellent passing range plus Forsyth can surge with the ball being FB and ex winger. Today just like Accrington showed the real box to box hourihane and his goals could be crucial in the run in. Confidence breeds better football and we look the fittest we have been for years

They seem to know when is the right time to try and play football and when is the right time to go direct.

I found under Rosenior we would always go short even when the team needed to get the pressure off and get up the field.

The most impressive thing is Warne has done this without signing a player. Also our back line only has one player in his ‘natural’ position…imagine if we had a bit more depth/options. 

14 minutes ago, Mckram said:

They seem to know when is the right time to try and play football and when is the right time to go direct.

I found under Rosenior we would always go short even when the team needed to get the pressure off and get up the field.

The most impressive thing is Warne has done this without signing a player. Also our back line only has one player in his ‘natural’ position…imagine if we had a bit more depth/options. 

I think Fozzy is better in the middle than he is at left back. Him and Cash are a good partnership, Cash goes to win the ball and Fozzy sweeps up behind him.

Fozzy's been like Beckenbauer the last few weeks.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

It’s nice to see that Warne is converting people from sceptics to believers.

But let’s be honest, our fanbase should have been right behind him from the very beginning.

It’s not like he fluked one promotion. He’s won three. He’s a very good coach at this level and exactly what we needed.

Our fans were behind Rosenoir and they are behind Warne. 

When Warne gets sacked after failing to win the Champions League in 2027 some of us will not be happy about it but we'll still get behind the new man.

18 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Our fans were behind Rosenoir and they are behind Warne.

Of course people are behind Warne now.

Why wouldn’t you be when we are comfortably in the top six and unbeaten for months?

The mood and the reaction to his appointment in the early stages was quite hostile in some quarters, let’s not pretend otherwise.

7 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Of course people are behind Warne now.

Why wouldn’t you be when we are comfortably in the top six and unbeaten for months?

The mood and the reaction to his appointment in the early stages was quite hostile in some quarters, let’s not pretend otherwise.

I was not happy about laim leaving but warn took over it is our job get behind and the lads.

Very rare any managerial appointment will be universally welcomed. Same with player signings.

If you criticise people for not backing Warne from day 1, you must have a squeaky clean track record for backing every manager appointed and signing made.

I don't think any of us have one of those.

Having doubts over Warne's style of football and Rooney's experience for example really isn't any different. 

Doubts are doubts, nothing wrong with having doubts. 

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

One of my criticisms at the beginning when Warne came in is we all knew his style was direct and get the ball into the other half as fast as we can and try and win second balls and play from there. I think the team originally struggled with what that meant and how to execute it.

One of the key differences for me in this run is that Warne is allowing his defensive players to actually work the ball and pass it between us. It’s not as frequent as the LR style but it’s a definite shift from early Warne days.

We are constantly now in the 50-60% possession stat. Wildsmith gives a lot more short goal kicks and we definitely allow CF and EC more freedoms on the ball. 

I for one am really enjoying it now because it isn’t hoofball for 90 minutes. A lot of our better goals come from the passing passages of play - Hourihane header today for instance was a nice move with the EC diagonal after some passing in the defence. If you look back over the recent goals since December a lot more are worked plays. Hourihane against Accrington, McGoldrick first goal against Forest Green. All were excellent team moves.

I feel that Warne now trusts them and he’s striking the correct balance between ball retention, long balls, direct balls into Collins and playing the triangles of play to create space. There is a decent mix in there so we are not too one dimensional.

Well done Warne and his team. This is starting to get fun.

Yep it's very impressive. I think quite a lot of us were worried he might only have one (very rigid) way to play that didn't fit the players he had. Seems like he does have certain 'bottom lines' - in terms of fitness, work rare etc - but they have been good for the squad and beyond that he's much more flexible & sophisticated than people (me for example) thought.

Very happy to be wrong.

Edited by vonwright

16 minutes ago, David said:

Very rare any managerial appointment will be universally welcomed. Same with player signings.

If you criticise people for not backing Warne from day 1, you must have a squeaky clean track record for backing every manager appointed and signing made.

I don't think any of us have one of those.

Having doubts over Warne's style of football and Rooney's experience for example really isn't any different. 

Doubts are doubts, nothing wrong with having doubts. 

You’re right in saying that no manager will ever please everyone.

But some of the comments on Warne did seem unjust given his track record, and there were even criticisms of the man who saved us, David Clowes.

It’s not about getting it right every time. None of us do.

Funnily enough, if you look at our managerial appointments over the last 5-6 years, Warne was probably the least questionable one of all. He ticked so many boxes for the situation we’re in.

Edited by Jourdan

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

You’re right in saying that no manager will ever please everyone.

But some of the comments on Warne did seem unjust given his track record, and there were even criticisms of the man who saved us, David Clowes.

It’s not about getting it right every time. None of us do.

Funnily enough, if you look at our managerial appointment over the last 5-6 years, Warne was probably the least questionable one of all. He ticked so many boxes for the situation we’re in.

From what I recall, there was never any loud voices that were questioning his track record, it was his style of football and you must know what a divisive topic that can be.

If we were to replace Warne with Simeone in the summer, this place would erupt!

17 minutes ago, David said:

From what I recall, there was never any loud voices that were questioning his track record, it was his style of football and you must know what a divisive topic that can be.

If we were to replace Warne with Simeone in the summer, this place would erupt!

Whether it was his track record or his perceived style of play, it is fair to say there were many Warne sceptics for one reason or another.

It would take too much time to trawl through the archives and pick out specifics.

No-one knew for certain how things would transpire, but personally I did find it disappointing that Warne basically started the job on the back-foot having to win people over.

7 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Whether it was his track record or his perceived style of play, it is fair to say there were many Warne sceptics for one reason or another.

It would take too much time to trawl through the archives and pick out specifics.

No-one knew for certain how things would transpire, but personally I did find it disappointing that Warne basically started the job on the back-foot having to win people over.

Name me one manager that hasn't.

It's also very early days in Warne's tenure, things are great now but ultimately he has to take us up. 

Not suggesting we shouldn't enjoy the moment, I'd say we deserve it after everything we've been through. Just not sure it's time to start the "I told you so's", which you haven't said granted word for word, that's how it will come across though.

I'm sure Warne won't have had many sleepless nights over what us lot were saying on here when he arrived. He knows the game and has the support now which is all that matters.

10 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Being so visibly moved that we stayed up and Sheff Wed didn't really didn't help.

I never picked up on any hostility as such but I can hold my hands up and say that I wasn’t enjoying the football early on and was sceptical about both his style of football and his cheeky- chappy-down-to-earth-quirky-I’m a bit different type of personality. 

sooo happy both have developed and are evolving. In my opinion PW now comes across very professionally and focussed on his interviews and we are playing more football as each game goes by. 

add to that his development of Sibley into a very decent and disciplined left back, the fact that he has increased fitness levels and all with the players he inherited as someone said earlier.

In the words of Davy Jones… I’m a believer. 

Edited by norwichram