Accrington Stanley (H) Mon 2nd Jan, 3pm KO

43 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I wonder where the other 3000 empty seats were. Stadium looked pretty full to me and there were only a few hundred tickets left this morning

Front two rows of West Stand Upper top blocks virtually empty, towards the corners, although they were marked as unavailable on seating plan this morning (I checked our block.) 

There's a slightly restricted view there.

I'd imagine there are similar areas all round ground, for example very lowest rows of South Stand in SW corner were empty. Would suspect they only release those seats when all others gone. 

It's surprising how they add up.

Loved todays game the work rate of the players is exceptional, including the subs. As much as it looked easy that result was built on the team pressing, covering and then busting a gut to get in the box. 

The interviews with Barks and Warne speak volumes to me about the positivity and togetherness of the club at the moment. Yes we need some more bodies but even if no one comes in during the transfer window I think this squad can go all the way. UTR

Edited by Sufferingfool
Mistake

26 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Love the optimism of you and the two or three other commenters, but I just thought I would check the table from 2 months ago, 2nd November.

Back then we were 12 points behind 2nd place with a game in hand. So yes, we are on a good run, but even with that we are only catching up at a rate of 0.5 pts per month.

Remember we've still got Plymouth, Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich to play again. We are in great form, playing some great stuff and I still think we can get better. Ultimately yes I think the top 2 might be a stretch too far but it's not impossible. I believe.

1 hour ago, EranioIsGod said:

Few mins in Hourihane gets wiped out. Nothing 

Hourihane does sort of the same 5 mins later... Yellow. 

Awful referee. 

We should have scored more nur93 points is the aim of the game. 

Hourihane didn’t get booked today but agree ref was awful today he didn’t give a foul on mcgoldrick all match

I think automatic promotion is a bridge too far, personally. 

Plymouth are trending for over 100 points. Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich are on course for 90-95 points too, maybe more.

I don’t think we’re worse than any of those three. I think we are on a par, but we’ve left ourselves with too much work to do. To their credit, those teams have been so consistent from the very beginning.

The gulf in quality between the top three and teams outside the top 10 is so vast that they will be able to maintain good enough form to keep themselves out of reach, especially given they all had a head start on us by the time Warne arrived and especially while Warne and the team got to grips with each other.

I think all three teams above us are capable of a wobble, but it would have to be a massive capitulation for any one of them to let us in. We would probably also have to be by far and away the best and most consistent side in the division for the rest of the season to give ourselves a chance.

We would need at least 50 points from our remaining 22 games to simply make it interesting and put ourselves in the conversation. That’s averaging 2.27 points per game and probably 15 wins required at a minimum!

By all means, internally, we should push ourselves and set ourselves the target of finishing as strongly as possible and as high  up the table as possible.

But realistically, we have to be happy with finishing in a play off spot as comfortably and as painlessly as possible and setting ourselves up for another big day out.

I’d take a McGoldrick special and 42,000 of us dancing on Wembley Way some 12 months after being on the brink of extinction, wouldn’t you?

Edited by Jourdan

What a strange game football is with very fine margins ,, today the passing and movement was just spot on and we look fantastic, another day it’s slightly off and we look laboured but whichever it is we don’t lose or look like losing , we deffo need to focus the mindset on chasing down the top two , tough job but certainly not out of reach and if we don’t quiet make it then we are play offs ,

im loving warne 

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

What a strange game football is with very fine margins ,, today the passing and movement was just spot on and we look fantastic, another day it’s slightly off and we look laboured but whichever it is we don’t lose or look like losing , we deffo need to focus the mindset on chasing down the top two , tough job but certainly not out of reach and if we don’t quiet make it then we are play offs ,

im loving warne 

We just need to carry on keeping clean sheets and we do get golden chances and it’s up to us to score them and collecting points will take care of itself but the same goes for the other teams in the top six 

I've been critical of the Warne style of play earlier in the season but in fairness we are starting to see players moving the ball forward with accurate  passes much more quickly and with much more accuracy. Even when it's long its been much more accurate . If we can keep this up and hopefully improve even more then I'm definately a convert. We'll done PW now keep it up. 

14 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Just seen the highlights. Seems the ref was looking right at Osula when he kicked out. Then took his time in getting the decision right by consulting with his assistants. Good refereeing.

Other than that however, not a great performance. 

He was probably looking straight at him when Osula was being bear-hugged and then wrestled to the floor and stood on. Good refereeing?

Edited by RoyMac5

14 hours ago, ram59 said:

I was thinking the same thing, until I looked at it from the club's point of view. You'd think that if a casual fan can't get a seat in the south stand, they will buy one in another stand. Why would the club lose money by giving the season ticket holder half of their money back and also pay for someone to do administration involved in such a process? But, it would be a good idea if we had a sellout game.

The ref was poor today, but you can't kick out at a player, especially when you're 4 nil up. I thought it strange that the ref restarted the game with a drop ball for their keeper, surely they should have had a free kick?

Perhaps but not necessarily. It'd need a survey but anecdotally I know a few who'd already not bother going unless they can either get a seat together or a ticket in the south stand. For people who attend irregularly they're probably more likely to get a ticket late on or if we're doing well making both possibilities less likely to happen for them without such a scheme.

You'd only have to sell half of what you take back to make it on the face of it revenue neutral too. I would presume the administration would be handled by the staff existing at the ticket office already who handle ticket returns etc. Perhaps there would be a small cost of setting up the button on the website and sending out letters, campaigning etc. 

31 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Just seen the highlights. Seems the ref was looking right at Osula when he kicked out. Then took his time in getting the decision right by consulting with his assistants. Good refereeing.

Was like the infamous 1998 Beckham Argentina incident. That was a very soft one - more an apologetic waft of the boot than a kick. Osula showed a bit more venom so whilst a little soft he can have no complaints. Warne’s comments on it were well judged and hopefully Osula has learned a life long lesson without it costing us anything  

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

You seem to know your onions where the games rules are so not having a pop at you, You said as I did the ref was looking right at it, Why would the Ref need to consult with his assistants if he saw the whole incident...imo poor refereeing ?

18 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

You seem to know your onions where the games rules are so not having a pop at you, You said as I did the ref was looking right at it, Why would the Ref need to consult with his assistants if he saw the whole incident...imo poor refereeing ?

Perhaps he thought he saw the kick out but wanted to be sure before issuing a red card given how important a decision it was. If so, it seems like sensible refereeing to call on an additional resource at his disposal. I only wish we could hear the conversation between the officials in such circumstances as we do in rugby.