Accrington Stanley (H) Mon 2nd Jan, 3pm KO

12 minutes ago, ram59 said:

The EFL must be gutted how we have managed to make so many good free agent signings. Who would have thought a lg1 team under our restrictions, would be able to sign the likes of McGoldrich, Hourihane and Chester? Then who would have expected NML and Wildsmith, struggling to get into another lg1 team, to be amongst our leading players. Even, the remaining free agent signings, whilst not being exceptional, have all made valuable contributions to the team.

Whoever signed Wildsmith deserves an all expenses paid trip to Alton Towers. And overall our recruitment in the summer was excellent

But why do you say the EFL would be gutted...? Why would they give a monkeys’ so long as we’re within the business plan ? Don’t you think they’re delighted we’re off their radar screen ? 

26 minutes ago, ram59 said:

The EFL must be gutted how we have managed to make so many good free agent signings. Who would have thought a lg1 team under our restrictions, would be able to sign the likes of McGoldrich, Hourihane and Chester? Then who would have expected NML and Wildsmith, struggling to get into another lg1 team, to be amongst our leading players. Even, the remaining free agent signings, whilst not being exceptional, have all made valuable contributions to the team.

I'd put a question mark on that one as well.  I think we signed a bloke called Chester.  

13 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Whoever signed Wildsmith deserves an all expenses paid trip to Alton Towers. And overall our recruitment in the summer was excellent

But why do you say the EFL would be gutted...? Why would they give a monkeys’ so long as we’re within the business plan ? Don’t you think they’re delighted we’re off their radar screen ? 

Weird position goalie.  At the minute he's probably a player we would only take decent money to sell.  I remember us turning down 3 million from Villa for Camp about 6 months after his debut mind and we gave him away 2 years later.  Carson and Grant were others who had a great season then started throwing the ball in the net and we lot go albeit  Grant went to Stoke for 3 months, we all pissed ourselves and he was that good we got 1.5 million for him a month later.

Difficult to know when best to let go if you get a good offer.  Lose confidence as a goalie your on your own really. 

10 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Weird position goalie.  At the minute he's probably a player we would only take decent money to sell.  I remember us turning down 3 million from Villa for Camp about 6 months after his debut mind and we gave him away 2 years later.  Carson and Grant were others who had a great season then started throwing the ball in the net and we lot go albeit  Grant went to Stoke for 3 months, we all pissed ourselves and he was that good we got 1.5 million for him a month later.

Difficult to know when best to let go if you get a good offer.  Lose confidence as a goalie your on your own really. 

Mourinho would say it’s the most important position on the pitch. (Unless you have a Makelele.)  He did pretty well when Peter Cech was best in the prem 

To your point, this season Wildsmith has made Fozzie and Cashin better and vice versa 

My angina has virtually disappeared since JW took over. 

4 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Jason Pearcey who left when Rosenior was replaced by Warne

11 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Do you think Efl will be happy if we pip Wycombe for promotion. Will we still be off the radar if we get promotion? Considering the fuss Boro made when we got into the play offs (and lost)? And they didn’t . Nothing to do with Pulis playing boring rubbish all to do with Derby “cheating”. 

12 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I suspect that the EFL are happy that Derby County are still in business, but would prefer it if the punishment was a bit more longer lasting, in order to put off other clubs going down the same path. I don't think that it would go down well in many circles if we were challenging towards the top of the championship this time next season.

1 hour ago, PistoldPete said:

Do you think Efl will be happy if we pip Wycombe for promotion. Will we still be off the radar if we get promotion? Considering the fuss Boro made when we got into the play offs (and lost)? And they didn’t . Nothing to do with Pulis playing boring rubbish all to do with Derby “cheating”. 

We were probably Rick Parry's biggest headache last year. I’d say he’s just glad we’re off his desk. On Wycombe, I suspect Parry thinks Couhig is a slime ball, also that he respects DC and is grateful to him for saving us from the grim reaper. Parry is possibly also relieved Ashley did not get us (so doubly grateful to DC). Parry would certainly have had a problem with MM, and also with Quantuma. But is there any reason to think the EFl now has any problem with us ? I don't think so 

18 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Hull's keeper seems to be coping with the pressure.

Some can.

Watch JWs performance against Oxford back from earlier in the season. He might have been able to adapt, he is a good keeper, but he is not Allison.

I'm just saying JW keeping it simple is 100% on form and confident. JW playing out and forcing short passes into midfield with pressure on (marriott should have scored from a misplaced pass at PP) doesn't allow him to be the best version of himself. Allow players to play their natural game to the best of their ability and limit any weakness.

Asking Chris Martin to run the channels would limit his ability. Asking didzy to play on the wing like NML would limit his ability. Why don't with keepers?

39 minutes ago, KBB said:

Some can.

Watch JWs performance against Oxford back from earlier in the season. He might have been able to adapt, he is a good keeper, but he is not Allison.

I'm just saying JW keeping it simple is 100% on form and confident. JW playing out and forcing short passes into midfield with pressure on (marriott should have scored from a misplaced pass at PP) doesn't allow him to be the best version of himself. Allow players to play their natural game to the best of their ability and limit any weakness.

Asking Chris Martin to run the channels would limit his ability. Asking didzy to play on the wing like NML would limit his ability. Why don't with keepers?

Don’t think it was Wildsmith who was the issue. It was playing out from the back with a set of defenders completely incapable - the likes of Davies, Forsyth etc shouldn’t be asked to play short constantly. When afforded acres, of course, but never under any kind of press. It’s asking for disaster. 

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

We were probably Rick Parry's biggest headache last year. I’d say he’s just glad we’re off his desk. On Wycombe, I suspect Parry thinks Couhig is a slime ball, also that he respects DC and is grateful to him for saving us from the grim reaper. Parry is possibly also relieved Ashley did not get us (so doubly grateful to DC). Parry would certainly have had a problem with MM, and also with Quantuma. But is there any reason to think the EFl now has any problem with us ? I don't think so 

I hope that Parry is worried that we are going to take legal action against him and/or the EFL for restriction of practice. Once they had pulled the trigger about our accountancy practices, they took months and months before taking the next step, so we were effectively on hold as a club for ages. They broke their own rules and processes, got Gibson to make a spurious claim against us so that he didn't take the EFL to court, then refused to have the claim heard in a proper court of law. The court wouldn't have even entertained the case, then the EFL sat on the fence about whether his claim was a football or non-football claim until the transfer window was over, which meant we lost two key players, effectively consigning us to relegation. And ironically the rule which we were supposed to have broken with the amortisation method we used didn't actually exist in the EFL rule book until February 2022 - years after the "offence" was supposed to have happened.

The whole case could have been dealt with in a matter of months, instead of the years it dragged on for, during which time we were heavily restricted in how we could operate. There are probably reasons why we can't pursue the claim, but boy wouldn't it blow the EFL into smithereens? 

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

I hope that Parry is worried that we are going to take legal action against him and/or the EFL for restriction of practice. Once they had pulled the trigger about our accountancy practices, they took months and months before taking the next step, so we were effectively on hold as a club for ages. They broke their own rules and processes, got Gibson to make a spurious claim against us so that he didn't take the EFL to court, then refused to have the claim heard in a proper court of law. The court wouldn't have even entertained the case, then the EFL sat on the fence about whether his claim was a football or non-football claim until the transfer window was over, which meant we lost two key players, effectively consigning us to relegation. And ironically the rule which we were supposed to have broken with the amortisation method we used didn't actually exist in the EFL rule book until February 2022 - years after the "offence" was supposed to have happened.

The whole case could have been dealt with in a matter of months, instead of the years it dragged on for, during which time we were heavily restricted in how we could operate. There are probably reasons why we can't pursue the claim, but boy wouldn't it blow the EFL into smithereens? 

I don’t believe the EFL got Gibson to make a claim. I think Gibson made a claim because he hated MM’s guts   The EFL’s failing was to allow Gibson to put our future in doubt 

2 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

... There are probably reasons why we can't pursue the claim, but boy wouldn't it blow the EFL into smithereens? 

The reasons are simple...

We couldn't pursue anything (legally speaking) as we had agreed to accept The EFL's governance, including their interpretation of any wording to rules that did... or did not... exist at that time, in order to remain in their cosy little members-only club. 
Such an agreement remains in place at the current time, of course.

We could of course, have withdrawn our membership at any stage, before proceeding to sue their arse off in a court of law... and quite possibly have won!

That option remains in place at the current time, or any time in the future, of course.

Someone decided that was not the best approach at the time... and I suspect that will not change in the foreseeable future... and The EFL have known that all along!

Something, billhooks, something, something tight grip!  ?

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I don’t believe the EFL got Gibson to make a claim. I think Gibson made a claim because he hated MM’s guts   The EFL’s failing was to allow Gibson to put our future in doubt 

No, Gibson did threaten to sue the EFL for not taking action in time - he was whinging that they should have deducted us points for the season before, which would have kept Sheffield Wednesday up, if I recall correctly, that would be the basis for his lawsuit. That legal action would have wrecked the EFL, and Parry knew this so he pointed curls in our direction. Gibson's hatred actually came from us gazumping Middlesbrough for Martin Waghorn - the Smoggs had agreed a deal wit Ipswich Town, and then Mel marched into town and landed the striker. I can't remember whether it was a bigger offer to Ipswich, or, more likely, better terms for Waggy, but from then on the die was set. I also believe that the EFL's hatred for Derby County dates back to the TV money negotiations when Mel sided with the then owner of Leeds United to set up a breakaway league. The first stage was a friendly between the two clubs. Yes, I know - a friendly between Derby County and Leeds United! And no, it never happened, just like the breakaway league, but the die was set. All the EFL needed to do was wait for their moment. Kieran McGuire provided that by sticking his nose into someone else's business, which of course was his job! And BOOOMMM!!! Derby were done for.