Cambridge United (H) Fri 30th Dec

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

Another poor game of football.

I will say again, we are lucky to have some good players who can occasionally produce a bit of magic but generally the football is so poor.

Ironically, that first half was the most similar to pre-Warne than we’ve seen since he’s been here. And it was a ponderous, turgid performance. 

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Ironically, that first half was the most similar to pre-Warne than we’ve seen since he’s been here. And it was a ponderous, turgid performance. 

Agreed - because we passed the ball around more at the back and Bird/CH dropped into the back four to take it.

No issue with this - most of our goals come from good pieces of skill and team play (tonight’s was) and that’s why we should look to do this more often.

Tonight was poor but I personally thought Bolton was a lot worse.

Just now, rammieib said:

Agreed - because we passed the ball around more at the back and Bird/CH dropped into the back four to take it.

No issue with this - most of our goals come from good pieces of skill and team play (tonight’s was) and that’s why we should look to do this more often.

Tonight was poor but I personally thought Bolton was a lot worse.

So, just to clarify, you want us to play like we did first half more often? Where we take several touches too many, telegraph every single pass, have no off the ball movement, make it really easy for opposition to sit in a low block and generally play with low energy intensity?

You do you, but that’s a weird thing to want more of. 

29 minutes ago, Srg said:

Agreed.  Unless you are Barcelona with Messi c2007, it is very hard to play that way.  That style just doesn't create enough opportunities, but does create a lot of room for mistakes at the back.  

2 minutes ago, CBX1985 said:

Agreed.  Unless you are Barcelona with Messi c2007, it is very hard to play that way.  That style just doesn't create enough opportunities, but does create a lot of room for mistakes at the back.  

Absolutely. In league one, the best way to create chances is to force mistakes. Play with high intensity and make players make errors - especially when you lack creativity and firepower as we do. Whether that’s through robbing them of the ball, a fluffed clearance or moving it quick enough to catch someone out of position. We can’t afford to be passing it around like we have the quality Man City do to eventually unpick a lock. It simply won’t happen. 

On 29/12/2022 at 20:06, jono said:

Friends arriving from afar so have to miss this. I’d have got away with a 3.00 but it’s me doing the cooking.

Need a proper win, nothing fancy just solid maintenance Win at home, draw away -We  can do this. 

Love for Dobbin off the bench to get one and shut the doubters up. Or Cashin to get a bullet header like his first one for us. 

I remain,  ever happy clappy as the new year beckons. COYR

Sorted ? ????

2 hours ago, RIMBAUD said:

Whatever they have been feeding fozzie

Dogshit centre forwards and midfielders who can't put the ball within an 8 foot radius of them?

I love Fozzie and feel very much justified in my opinion that I'd have him every day (even at CB) over Stearman (great pro to have around the place, but you done want him playing many games if you can help it)) but I don't think he could do the role at the level above.

Edited by Kokosnuss

Well I think you find that credit due to cainbrigh set up hight to counter our midfield and our attacking play but once dead lock was final open Lewis dobbin scored excenlt goal from a header and to be fair to collions he gets very very little service in right areas. But jasion knight made big difference would like to jasion knight link up with macgoldick just love to see that at some point.

To give Cambridge some small credit, they had several players out, but were well organised and disciplined. We needed to be clinical and take our chances, but we didn't do that for much of the game. I imagine scoring is a problem for them too. Fortunately, we have a defence tighter than a Presbyterian spinster's foof. 

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

I will say again, we are lucky to have some good players who can occasionally produce a bit of magic but generally the football is so poor.

We played in the Championship for 14 straight years and with the exception of 1-2 years, the football was poor.

We’re now in League 1 under significant financial restrictions, with a hurriedly assembled squad of high profile free transfers and hopeful but inconsistent young players.

You might need to adjust your expectations.

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

It wasn't good but how long is it since we went on an unbeaten run as long as this? I think you might find it was after Igor's debut when we lost 5-1 at Tranmere in 1995.

I can't wait to hear your comments when we next go on a bad run. Or then again, perhaps I can.

Just go back to what happened over the past three seasons, take a rain check and then be thankful for what's happening now, whether you like it or not.

Thank you David Clowes for what you have delivered so far.

COYR

Edited by Brailsford Ram

The issue we have with playing the ball around in our half is that we basically play 4-2-4.

This means that Bird and Hourihane drop deep, worried about their lack of a third midfielder.

We then have two wide players and two central attackers. The central attackers have to come deep to get the ball off the midfield and the wide players have to rely on the full backs for service which becomes predictable and slow.

Occasionally there’s a raking long ball from Cashin or Hourihane but these can also go very wrong.

If we had a dynamic third midfielder who could drive forward to support the attack we would be far more effective.

If Knight is staying he should start every game.

Excellent 3 points - poor football in my opinion but over the festive matches points matter 

defence - not really tested 

midfield- rather sedentary 

forwards - just did enough 

Cambridge - in difficult circumstances put more effort in than Forest Green at least - thier left back/ midfielder Brophy looked decent 

it’s getting repetitive hearing opposition managers saying that they are targeting Sibley - worth noting that it hasn’t been productive for them.  the lad is getting a regular game when we could easily play Forsyth or Roberts there and I have to say Sibley set piece delivery should be worth a place on the pitch at all times