Cambridge United (H) Fri 30th Dec

Wildsmith 

Knight          Forsyth             Cashin      Roberts

Bird                Hourihane

NML                       Sibley                     Dobbin

Collins

Based on McGoldrick only being fit enough for the bench

32 minutes ago, Derbyram1983 said:

Thompson one of the worst derby players for years. Backwards and sideways passing. Can't drive with the ball, no height or physicality. Definitely shouldn't be playing his trade in cm. He's a five a side player 

Another one that slags players off when they've had hardly any minutes to prove themselves.

FWIW, Thompson had some good performances under WR and don't forget all players have been playing with restraints for so long. Do you think it's been easy for any player (especially the young ones) to try and show fully what they can do over the past few seasons? 

1 hour ago, Derbyram1983 said:

Thompson one of the worst derby players for years. Backwards and sideways passing. Can't drive with the ball, no height or physicality. Definitely shouldn't be playing his trade in cm. He's a five a side player 

If you think Thompson is one of the worst Derby players for years either you've not been watching Derby very long or you have a very short memory.

He's not had the greatest season when he's played but then he's not really had much of a run.

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

If you think Thompson is one of the worst Derby players for years either you've not been watching Derby very long or you have a very short memory.

He's not had the greatest season when he's played but then he's not really had much of a run.

I can remember some of the real dross that played for Derby in the first Prem relegation season after McLaren left for Utd. Tommo certainly has potential and like many young players will have ups and downs in performance

1 hour ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Another one that slags players off when they've had hardly any minutes to prove themselves.

FWIW, Thompson had some good performances under WR and don't forget all players have been playing with restraints for so long. Do you think it's been easy for any player (especially the young ones) to try and show fully what they can do over the past few seasons? 

11 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Agree with these comments; the original missive was just nonsense wasn’t it? Just another example of modern football opinion; players, managers, performances, throw-ins, bobble hats… whatever, is either absolutely brilliant or absolutely terrible (and when terrible, always “the worst [insert issue here] ever!!!!!!!!”).  No room for ‘just OK’ or ‘not great, not terrible’ or average or any room for any consideration of context. It’s ridiculous and tedious. 

Of course Thompson isn’t the worst player ever to play for Derby. To say so is just drivel. Equally, he isn’t the best.  He has had his moments where he’s looked a really good prospect and others where the game has passed him by; much like many young players. Often too much is expected.  

I doubt he’ll be first name on the team sheet but when his name is there I don’t despair either.  He is OK. Nothing more at present but young enough to get better and will be getting a damn good education in this league. 

Edited by LazloW

17 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

He’s been pretty bad this season, think the going backwards despite dropping a division is the issue.

he was better in games when we were mainly defending and pressing. He’s pretty limited on the ball for a centre mid. 

i struggle to see him having much a career at derby, happy to be proven wrong but just looks way out of his depth. Happy to be proven wrong.

do think he looked a bit better in a couple of games, Torquay and Pompey on tv possibly.

I don't usually slag players off. Just don't see any attributes that will make him even a decent player at even this level. Hope I'm proved wrong. I'm a nobody. But there's been lots of player at derby that have amassed lots of appearances when derby were in the second leafy to even struggle for games in the bottom tier. 

41 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

He’s been pretty bad this season, think the going backwards despite dropping a division is the issue.

he was better in games when we were mainly defending and pressing. He’s pretty limited on the ball for a centre mid. 

i struggle to see him having much a career at derby, happy to be proven wrong but just looks way out of his depth. Happy to be proven wrong.

do think he looked a bit better in a couple of games, Torquay and Pompey on tv possibly.

I said he's not having the greatest of seasons but did look handy last season. He is NOT one of the worst Derby players for years but I'm not sure his future lies with us.