Cambridge United (H) Fri 30th Dec

24 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

To quote my middle son, it was an easy victory which was hard work! Cambridge came with the sole intention of hanging on grimly for a draw. They were a poor side, with only 1 decent player, although they did have a number of players out with injury or illness. They pressed well, especially early on, and their midfield were well organised and worked hard, and made our job very difficult. But offered very little up front, at least until we scored. But the sudden increase in "threat" from Cambridge wasn't from us sitting back assuming the job was done. It was simply we scored and the timewasting was gone - as was their draw. And Wildsmith only needed his goalkeeping gloves to keep his hands warm, right until the end of the match!

In many ways our play was similar to the Bolton match in that it was a hard slog, with loads of "not nice to watch" stuff, but what this means is that we are prepared to do what is needed. What was better last night was that we didn't have to match Bolton's hoofball tendencies, and played the right way for much of the match. 

What didn't help was the ref who spent the entire match doing almost everything he could to help Cambridge in their efforts, apart from giving them a couple of soft  penalties, which is what he did the last time he showed up for a Derby match. So in the first 5 or 10 minutes their was a cynical "professional" foul on NML (I think) which should have been a yellow card, but nothing given. And following blatant pushes on Derby players right in front of the orange man, Smith was clattered - my son who was watching on Rams TV said the Cambridge player got the ball, but it was studs up and both feet off the ground. I thought that the rules of Asssociation Football describe that as being out of control, and therefore a red card, whether the player got the ball or not. Sadly we are playing the the rules of the English Football league, and they are markedly different. The slightest contact meant a free-kick to Cambridge, and a yellow card for Sibley even though there was minimal, if any, contact. At least there weren't any penalty shouts denied, or soft ones given against us. And we didn't let it affect how we played, which is a big improvement - even as recent as last season our heads would go down after 70 minutes of officiating bias, but not any more, it would seem.

Our back 4 were excellent again, and it is often the case the it is not so much the opposition offering virtually no threat, as our defence not allowing them to threaten. Long may it continue.

Once more Hourihane disappointed, and surely needs "resting". Smith worked hard, and has started popping up all over the place, including in the area from time to time. He isn't much of a threat, but his presence could bring extra pressure on the opposition defence, and often it is forcing mistakes that give us chances, rather than our own creative prowess. It seems Warne is encouraging our players to be more adventurous, although he might need a chat with Collins, how isn't getting into the area anywhere near enough anymore. Perhaps needs a bit of a break. Which might be good, because Osula needs a bit of a chance in the team, instead of occasional 10 minute cameos here and there.

So here we are in 5th place at the half-way point - who'd have thought it, when all we have is a load of old men and babies that nobody else wanted. It is quit remarkable!

Superb analysis ? @DavesaRam.

Edited by Ellafella

Christmas was cancelled in our house , some kind of bug or flu hit us out , we were so so Wiped out and unwell and as a result just couldn’t face the long drive and cold damp evening on the east stand , thank god for rams tv ,

wasn’t the best game I’ve ever seen , thought we were sloppy and a bit off it with the ball but by god this group just do not like losing and I thought last nights game was one of those that could easily have turned into a draw or even a frustrating loss pre warne so job done , beat accy and we go into the second half of the season with chances ,

we are also in talks with a centre half I have a family connection with which I hope comes off and perhaps we may get a couple in to fill some gaps and push us on ,

will name the centre half once he either comes to derby or not 

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

Christmas was cancelled in our house , some kind of bug or flu hit us out , we were so so Wiped out and unwell and as a result just couldn’t face the long drive and cold damp evening on the east stand , thank god for rams tv ,

wasn’t the best game I’ve ever seen , thought we were sloppy and a bit off it with the ball but by god this group just do not like losing and I thought last nights game was one of those that could easily have turned into a draw or even a frustrating loss pre warne so job done , beat accy and we go into the second half of the season with chances ,

we are also in talks with a centre half I have a family connection with which I hope comes off and perhaps we may get a couple in to fill some gaps and push us on ,

Hope you all get better soon. I’ve been off colour since 27th and had to dose up with brandy to get me to the game ?

3 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

What didn't help was the ref who spent the entire match doing almost everything he could to help Cambridge in their efforts, apart from giving them a couple of soft  penalties, which is what he did the last time he showed up for a Derby match. So in the first 5 or 10 minutes their was a cynical "professional" foul on NML (I think) which should have been a yellow card, but nothing given. And following blatant pushes on Derby players right in front of the orange man, Smith was clattered - my son who was watching on Rams TV said the Cambridge player got the ball, but it was studs up and both feet off the ground. I thought that the rules of Asssociation Football describe that as being out of control, and therefore a red card, whether the player got the ball or not. Sadly we are playing the the rules of the English Football league, and they are markedly different. The slightest contact meant a free-kick to Cambridge, and a yellow card for Sibley even though there was minimal, if any, contact. At least there weren't any penalty shouts denied, or soft ones given against us. And we didn't let it affect how we played, which is a big improvement - even as recent as last season our heads would go down after 70 minutes of officiating bias, but not any more, it would seem.

It looked like a dangerous tackle from my angle - I couldn't believe it when he didn't even give a free-kick. "Getting the ball first" in that kind of challenge is irrelevant. We've had players sent off in the last two seasons for far less dangerous tackles.

The only good word I have for the ref is that he played a good advantage that led directly to our goal, after Fozzy was felled by a similar challenge (same player?) on the edge of our box. Mercifully, neither Smith or Fozzy appeared to be injured by the tackles, but could easily have been.

2 hours ago, Archied said:

Which division is he currently playing in ITK Archied ?

Good piece in The Times from chief sports reporter David Walsh regards sitting in the away end with his Cambridge United supporting son at Pride Park on Friday night.

“It would have been a tough watch on TV. Among the Cambridge fans, listening to the back-and-forth between rival supporters was worth the £20 everyone in the away end had paid for their ticket. “Nottingham Forest, they’re laughing at you,” chanted the U’s crowd. “There’s a team in our league, Forest Green Rovers, and they’re bigger than you,” came the reply. Yep, 1-0 to Derby.”

……………nice one.