Cambridge United (H) Fri 30th Dec

8 hours ago, Srg said:

We can’t afford to be passing it around like we have the quality Man City do to eventually unpick a lock. It simply won’t happen. 

It's League One not park football.  Players in the third tier are capable of stringing a few passes together you know.  Have you seen how Ipswich move the ball?

Thought last night was a decent performance.  Our press was good and we won the ball high up the pitch a few times.  Limited Cambridge to next to nothing.  On another night we make better decisions in the final third and it's a comfortable 3 nil win.  

1 minute ago, Blondest Goat said:

It's League One not park football.  Players in the third tier are capable of stringing a few passes together you know.  Have you seen how Ipswich move the ball?

Thought last night was a decent performance.  Our press was good and we won the ball high up the pitch a few times.  Limited Cambridge to next to nothing.  On another night we make better decisions in the final third and it's a comfortable 3 nil win.  

I think Cambridge being limited to next to nothing was as much about their game plan as our performance.

They showed very little ambition and were content to kill the game by slowing it down and time wasting until we scored. Then they came out of their shells a bit and looked a much better team going forward.

I don’t think we played that well but were patient and found a way to win.

7 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

You equated my comment to passing/moving the ball = bad. No, slowly, statically, aimlessly passing it around at the back = bad. 

1 hour ago, TimRam said:

Glad the defence are stingy (least conceded in league 1). Onwards!

Yes ??. It’s the goals scored that needs to change. It is verging on respectable now but we are still low scorers and have been since Lampard left. A hand full more over the first half of the season would have made those draws wins and we’d be that much better set. We are on a journey but heading in the right direction all things considered. 

Cambridge looked the more dangerous side after we scored which was disappointing as I thought they would cave in. Also, I think they passed the ball better than us after we scored but didn’t have a cutting edge where it mattered most. 
Another flat atmosphere. Felt flat before kickoff. Potentially expecting an easy win and a little arm chair viewing ??‍♂️ but it definitely isn’t helped by the quality of football on show and the stop start nature of L1 football (teams against us anyway)

10 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

Cambridge looked the more dangerous side after we scored which was disappointing as I thought they would cave in. Also, I think they passed the ball better than us after we scored but didn’t have a cutting edge where it mattered most. 
Another flat atmosphere. Felt flat before kickoff. Potentially expecting an easy win and a little arm chair viewing ??‍♂️ but it definitely isn’t helped by the quality of football on show and the stop start nature of L1 football (teams against us anyway)

Define dangerous 

E7583A9F-4185-4E5E-9F91-D69D82B5C7DF.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

It's not about stringing passes together, it's about stringing them together with pace and intent.

5 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

If we win our next game, i think we've had a great xmas. Our patched up team continues to impress me, you can't knock how hard this team is trying. We did win 4-0 a couple of games back, a bit of patience and the goals will come.

I’m with you on this, it’s the consistency in the execution of attacking play that’s the next piece of the jigsaw. We’re solid, tough to beat and don’t concede many which is a great trait for a team to have. A bit more conviction in the final third and we turn the draws into wins which will keep us in the play off hunt and with a bit of luck could push us towards automatic promotion (though I think that’s a tiny bit beyond us because of the head start/relative quality of Plymouth/Ipswich - but not impossible!) 

It was a rubbish football match but I'm glad Dobbin finally got his first league goal. Best moment was him celebrating with the coaches, I think that tells everyone the strong relationship with the staff and players. 

The defensive performances have been remarkable. The biggest praise I can give PW is how consistent he's made a back four of misfits become so solid and rarely looks to be in trouble. Going forward I still feel we're relying on a piece of quality from a forward player to get a goal, Collins looked shattered and needs a break.

Happy New Year!

2 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

Cambridge did not look the more dangerous side after we scored. Dobbin had another chance to score just after his goal ( or could have passed to Mendez Laing). Cashin hit the woodwork. Plenty of other chances. I think they had one shot that stretched Wildsmith and that was it. 

To quote my middle son, it was an easy victory which was hard work! Cambridge came with the sole intention of hanging on grimly for a draw. They were a poor side, with only 1 decent player, although they did have a number of players out with injury or illness. They pressed well, especially early on, and their midfield were well organised and worked hard, and made our job very difficult. But offered very little up front, at least until we scored. But the sudden increase in "threat" from Cambridge wasn't from us sitting back assuming the job was done. It was simply we scored and the timewasting was gone - as was their draw. And Wildsmith only needed his goalkeeping gloves to keep his hands warm, right until the end of the match!

In many ways our play was similar to the Bolton match in that it was a hard slog, with loads of "not nice to watch" stuff, but what this means is that we are prepared to do what is needed. What was better last night was that we didn't have to match Bolton's hoofball tendencies, and played the right way for much of the match. 

What didn't help was the ref who spent the entire match doing almost everything he could to help Cambridge in their efforts, apart from giving them a couple of soft  penalties, which is what he did the last time he showed up for a Derby match. So in the first 5 or 10 minutes their was a cynical "professional" foul on NML (I think) which should have been a yellow card, but nothing given. And following blatant pushes on Derby players right in front of the orange man, Smith was clattered - my son who was watching on Rams TV said the Cambridge player got the ball, but it was studs up and both feet off the ground. I thought that the rules of Asssociation Football describe that as being out of control, and therefore a red card, whether the player got the ball or not. Sadly we are playing the the rules of the English Football league, and they are markedly different. The slightest contact meant a free-kick to Cambridge, and a yellow card for Sibley even though there was minimal, if any, contact. At least there weren't any penalty shouts denied, or soft ones given against us. And we didn't let it affect how we played, which is a big improvement - even as recent as last season our heads would go down after 70 minutes of officiating bias, but not any more, it would seem.

Our back 4 were excellent again, and it is often the case the it is not so much the opposition offering virtually no threat, as our defence not allowing them to threaten. Long may it continue.

Once more Hourihane disappointed, and surely needs "resting". Smith worked hard, and has started popping up all over the place, including in the area from time to time. He isn't much of a threat, but his presence could bring extra pressure on the opposition defence, and often it is forcing mistakes that give us chances, rather than our own creative prowess. It seems Warne is encouraging our players to be more adventurous, although he might need a chat with Collins, how isn't getting into the area anywhere near enough anymore. Perhaps needs a bit of a break. Which might be good, because Osula needs a bit of a chance in the team, instead of occasional 10 minute cameos here and there.

So here we are in 5th place at the half-way point - who'd have thought it, when all we have is a load of old men and babies that nobody else wanted. It is quit remarkable!

15 hours ago, Jortat said:

The sooner we get Sibley out of the LB position , the better.

Cant fault his effort but he is a fish out of water. 
It’s a waste not having him in midfield. I know needs must but I really hope we get a couple of defenders in the transfer window.

Totally get that but we’ve now got the meanest defence in the League - should we jeopardise that or if it ain’t broke don’t try & fix it by tinkering? 

12 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

To quote my middle son, it was an easy victory which was hard work! Cambridge came with the sole intention of hanging on grimly for a draw. They were a poor side, with only 1 decent player, although they did have a number of players out with injury or illness. They pressed well, especially early on, and their midfield were well organised and worked hard, and made our job very difficult. But offered very little up front, at least until we scored. But the sudden increase in "threat" from Cambridge wasn't from us sitting back assuming the job was done. It was simply we scored and the timewasting was gone - as was their draw. And Wildsmith only needed his goalkeeping gloves to keep his hands warm, right until the end of the match!

In many ways our play was similar to the Bolton match in that it was a hard slog, with loads of "not nice to watch" stuff, but what this means is that we are prepared to do what is needed. What was better last night was that we didn't have to match Bolton's hoofball tendencies, and played the right way for much of the match. 

What didn't help was the ref who spent the entire match doing almost everything he could to help Cambridge in their efforts, apart from giving them a couple of soft  penalties, which is what he did the last time he showed up for a Derby match. So in the first 5 or 10 minutes their was a cynical "professional" foul on NML (I think) which should have been a yellow card, but nothing given. And following blatant pushes on Derby players right in front of the orange man, Smith was clattered - my son who was watching on Rams TV said the Cambridge player got the ball, but it was studs up and both feet off the ground. I thought that the rules of Asssociation Football describe that as being out of control, and therefore a red card, whether the player got the ball or not. Sadly we are playing the the rules of the English Football league, and they are markedly different. The slightest contact meant a free-kick to Cambridge, and a yellow card for Sibley even though there was minimal, if any, contact. At least there weren't any penalty shouts denied, or soft ones given against us. And we didn't let it affect how we played, which is a big improvement - even as recent as last season our heads would go down after 70 minutes of officiating bias, but not any more, it would seem.

Our back 4 were excellent again, and it is often the case the it is not so much the opposition offering virtually no threat, as our defence not allowing them to threaten. Long may it continue.

Once more Hourihane disappointed, and surely needs "resting". Smith worked hard, and has started popping up all over the place, including in the area from time to time. He isn't much of a threat, but his presence could bring extra pressure on the opposition defence, and often it is forcing mistakes that give us chances, rather than our own creative prowess. It seems Warne is encouraging our players to be more adventurous, although he might need a chat with Collins, how isn't getting into the area anywhere near enough anymore. Perhaps needs a bit of a break. Which might be good, because Osula needs a bit of a chance in the team, instead of occasional 10 minute cameos here and there.

So here we are in 5th place at the half-way point - who'd have thought it, when all we have is a load of old men and babies that nobody else wanted. It is quit remarkable!

That's an excellent analysis of last night Dave. Well done.