Newport County (A) FACR2 Sun 27th Nov

8 minutes ago, Crewton said:

You can still move the ball around quickly, but we didn't do that in the first half. I think that's what he was getting at. It's certainly what I was shouting at the TV. 

If players don't know where they should be and who should be where then it's no surprise it's not played at pace. I thought most of the first half Hourihane and Sibley where conjoined twins but neither did anything. Nothing to do with pace.

Edited by RoyMac5

23 minutes ago, baiano27 said:

I don’t think we’ll be playing him there any longer than we need to. He is doing an admirable job outside his comfort zone. No complaining, just helping the team out as asked by his manager. When chester/Davies/Roberts are back it will be Fozzy/Roberts out there. 

He may have deserved criticism for some past performances but to be critical of him today is incredibly negative…

Apologies if it came across negative. It was more an observation than anything else. I love Sibbers and desperately want him to succeed here. 

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

The players still wanted too much time on the ball in the first half, when it should have been clear (because Warne said it in his prematch interview) that they weren't going to get it. 

The players simply weren't doing what they needed to do well enough. It shouldn't have been THAT lethargic, that disjointed. 

They’re taking too much time in the ball because there’s nobody in space to pass to.  We basically had 5 players in a straight line across midfield, Collins stood up front on his own, with McGoldrick being the only player trying to find space. So any passes from those midfielders are going to either be sideways to each other, or have to be inch-perfect to pick out McGoldrick when he’s probably marked by 2 of theirs.  Add to that, our lack of pace in forward areas, which means they weren’t scared of anyone running in behind them and could push out and close down our space in midfield.  Those conditions are almost guaranteed to result in a turgid midfield slog.

As soon as we have pace up front, they dropped off 10 yards giving us much more room to play. And we had 4 guys in forward areas, not 2, giving us a lot more passing options.  It’s not rocket science.

48 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

But it’s considerably harder to do when you have no pace in the team to push them back and create space, no midfielders that want to make runs and break lines, and 2 wingbacks that are clearly not comfortable there. You can’t just say move the ball quicker and expect it to happen, you have to create the conditions to allow it to happen.  

Credit to Newport in the first half. Ok we weren’t great but to some extent they stopped us playing. The game was more open in the second as Newport tired. Interesting how much we committed men forward - maybe Warne preferred anything to a draw. Good to see 2 wonderful moments from Sibley. Fozzie and Wildsmith very good. Good subs by Warne. Apart from that not much to write home about 

1 hour ago, baiano27 said:

I don’t think we’ll be playing him there any longer than we need to. He is doing an admirable job outside his comfort zone. No complaining, just helping the team out as asked by his manager. When chester/Davies/Roberts are back it will be Fozzy/Roberts out there. 

He may have deserved criticism for some past performances but to be critical of him today is incredibly negative…

The important thing for me is he’s willing to learn. In that interview he talked about practising his crosses because they haven’t been good enough. It has been a poor aspect of his game but today he put in 3 or 4 very good crosses. If he can use these different positions to learn new aspects of the game, it will be to his benefit in the longer run. 

4 hours ago, mrdave85 said:

Two minutes in…

”Derby are sustaining a heavy spell of pressure here”

it was the first attack of the game, give over. Watched it on mute after that. 

The ITV commentary was “distraction” - full of irrelevant twittering about people being late for weddings and football wives’ waters breaking on the morning of a game & other unnecessary rhubarb. 

30 minutes ago, angieram said:

When available, plays every minute of every game. 

It's an incredible record, for a young player, in a historically difficult position to break through in.

When you then factor in it's his first full season in the game, what a  testament to how far he's come, and how quickly.

What a player!