Newport County (A) FACR2 Sun 27th Nov

19 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Like Rosenior, Warne talks a good game. But it's frustrating when we don't deliver. I like that he want's us to get forward and take risks and play at pace and not be safety first. I suppose it's made harder because all that's been coached out of us these past few years. But he should play players in their right positions. At least he seemed aware some of it might have been on him due to how he's setting us up. In which case, change it, Paul!

18 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Need to give Oduroh a go at some point. I can’t see how he could be any worse than Smith at full back and then there would be a more balanced formation.

I think Smith is fine at fullback, when he’s just got to hold his position and support NML. The problem is when he’s playing as a wingback, and you’re basically making him bombing forwards and crossing the ball a fundamental part of your attacking strategy.

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Like Rosenior, Warne talks a good game. But it's frustrating when we don't deliver. I like that he want's us to get forward and take risks and play at pace and not be safety first. I suppose it's made harder because all that's been coached out of us these past few years. But he should play players in their right positions. At least he seemed aware some of it might have been on him due to how he's setting us up. In which case, change it, Paul!

The majority of the team are new. He picked a turgid defensive team and got a turgid defensive display.

Football is is 90 plus minutes , warne seems to be getting the job done fairly well over the 90 plus, pleased for sibley, I like the lad and he comes in for some pretty poor treatment by some on here 

next round please and happy we have warne building us from the position the club finds itself in 

Edited by Archied

Job done and into the next round.

It was a very poor first half, we can all talk about the formation, but the lack of effort and desire was embarrassing, no matter what the formation was.

Fortunately we turned it round and altered things a bit tactically and got the job done with an improved performance.

On to the big one against Weds!

3 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Job done and into the next round.

It was a very poor first half, we can all talk about the formation, but the lack of effort and desire was embarrassing, no matter what the formation was.

Fortunately we turned it round and altered things a bit tactically and got the job done with an improved performance.

On to the big one against Weds!

Hope I can remember the way to Pride Park on Saturday, it's been a while.

Plaudits to Sibbers for his offensive display 2nd half but if we are to play him in that position long term, he definitely needs to work on his defensive positional play. 

A few times in thst 2nd half he was woefully out of position. Luckily Cashin bailed him out a few times. A better class of opposition would exploit this though. 

Feel bad picking faults after he ultimately won us the game so I'll wind my neck in now. 

Edited by Steve How Hard?

19 minutes ago, sage said:

The majority of the team are new. He picked a turgid defensive team and got a turgid defensive display.

Well only 5 of the starting 11 were here last season, but all 11 had been schooled in the Rosenior way since they arrived. But you're right that picking a midfield 3 of Bird, Hourihane and Thompson will inevitably lead to a turgid defensive performance with no control of the match. With these same personnel and formation, you could at least switch Thommo  to LWB and bring Sibley into the middle. And I feel Max Bird is pretty anonymous nowadays, so maybe switch him to RWB and bring Smith into midfield?

In defence of Mr Warne, he deliberately and purposefully included himself, when he said we as a team did not do a good job first half (I'm paraphrasing, obvs!).

He may not come out and shout to the world that he ducked up with his starting line up (and/or formation), but he at least acknowledges his imperfections, as opposed to a full on rant about the players.

Personally, I find him rather refreshing.

Edited by Mucker1884

13 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Plaudits to Sibbers for his offensive display 2nd half but if we are to play him in that position long term, he definitely needs to work on his defensive positional play. 

A few times in thst 2nd half he was woefully out of position. Luckily Cashin bailed him out a few times. A better class of opposition would exploit this though. 

Feel bad picking faults after he ultimately won us the game so I'll wind my neck in now. 

I don’t think we’ll be playing him there any longer than we need to. He is doing an admirable job outside his comfort zone. No complaining, just helping the team out as asked by his manager. When chester/Davies/Roberts are back it will be Fozzy/Roberts out there. 

He may have deserved criticism for some past performances but to be critical of him today is incredibly negative…

40 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I dont think in and ideal world korey smith would be playing full back and louis sibley as a wing back 

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I think playing McGoldrick and Collins together is like the Conor/Bird midfield partnership….just doesn’t work ?

Collins and McGoldrick can absolutely play together, but you can’t play just those 2. The 3 central midfielders we started today all like to stay in midfield, none of them want to get on the ball and drive forwards, or make runs beyond the ball. And the 2 wingbacks clearly aren’t comfortable playing there.  So you’ve got 2 fairly slow forwards, with little service and no support. When you add Dobbin and Barkhuizen to the mix, we look completely different.

58 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

He’s going to be furious when he finds out who left all our pacy players on the bench in the first half.

You can still move the ball around quickly, but we didn't do that in the first half. I think that's what he was getting at. It's certainly what I was shouting at the TV. 

4 minutes ago, Crewton said:

You can still move the ball around quickly, but we didn't do that in the first half. I think that's what he was getting at. It's certainly what I was shouting at the TV. 

But it’s considerably harder to do when you have no pace in the team to push them back and create space, no midfielders that want to make runs and break lines, and 2 wingbacks that are clearly not comfortable there. You can’t just say move the ball quicker and expect it to happen, you have to create the conditions to allow it to happen.