Torquay v Derby (A) Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Good luck with that. I'm sure Gareth Southgate has a feast of samba football ready to unveil to us..... ?

Maybe he means Wales?

A lack of composure, hitting the ball long into spaces normally occupied by the defence. This may be carrying out instructions for PW. Ie. Get the ball up early down the channels. A good example in the second half… both Bird and Smith battling for the ball near the halfway line with two Torquay players.  Breaks to Bird, in our half and both Torquay players rush at him leaving Smith competent free just in their half. A simple pass 7 yard pass required from Bird to Smith for him to run into acres of space… Bird…. Smashes it down the line to know one. 

1 minute ago, SecretDave said:

I think our team from 2 seasons ago that narrowly avoided relegation from the Championship was much worse than this team. We were really bad that season. 

We stayed up in the Championship, though. Although, we did accumulate our lowest point total ever in the second division that season - ignoring point deductions. 

11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Paul Warne “we overcomplicated things going forward”. Christ, if kick and chase is complicated, I’d hate to see what these players are actually capable of understanding. 

The man is an ostrich. I wasn’t a huge fan of Rosenior but I’d take him every day of the week over this guy.

what on earth did we 'overcomplicate'. Think I'm more concerned that he's banging on about us not being 'nasty enough'. It's utter rubbish quite honestly. The problem is that we were 10 yards too deep, not doing enough to pressure the opposition at the back and allowed them to launch balls in our area which we're always going to struggle with. I'm not quite sure how he's not seeing this as the prime issue

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

We stayed up in the Championship, though. Although, we did accumulate our lowest point total ever in the second division that season - ignoring point deductions. 

I think people are getting confused with what 'worst ever team' means. In League position yes this is one of the lowest points in our history. But that is not because of the players. People talk about this team as if they are the ones who got us relegated.

42 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Missed easy chances again in first half

again another very soft penalty given against us 

dreadful performance with ten men 

only players with merit Forsyth smith and Osula - the rest were cobblers 

It was soft but do we continually give the refs a chance to make these decsions

Its a total lack of concentration from so many. Not just the obvious culprit but the cheap turnovers in possession that lead to these moments

Some of our fans on twitter having a go at Warne are absolutely ridiculous.

No team would get relegated from the Championship, come back for pre season with 5 players and get anywhere near to promotion from League One. The fact we're 7th is a miracle in itself.

We don't have a right back, we have 2 wingers (Ones injured) the squad at full strength is unbelievably short. Take 5 regulars out and we're threadbare.

The game management today after going down to 10 men was so poor. But these players make such poor decisions at times, going directly against what they've been told to do.

All Warne can do is work with what we've got, which isn't a lot. Get through this month, get some of the injured players back and get to January.

We need at the very least a right back, a midfield enforcer and a winger. But I think we'll get more than that.

Clowes said himself that there will be a period of consolidation.

10 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Paul Warne “we overcomplicated things going forward”. Christ, if kick and chase is complicated, I’d hate to see what these players are actually capable of understanding. 

The man is an ostrich. I wasn’t a huge fan of Rosenior but I’d take him every day of the week over this guy.

Warne has a massive job on now to work on a game plan in a couple of days to face Liverpool. Especially without Cashin. Not to mention any confidence issues. He and Clowes will sit down in a few weeks and sort out how to take the club forward.

Other than one effort by Dobbin, I literally saw nothing that was remotely positive... but that's what happens when you don't get to the telly until the 68th minute!  ?
Smiled at the scoreline... then grimaced when I spotted what appeared to be a red card icon over our name.  Up to that point, I'd seen, heard, or read nothing.
After 5 mins, I'd sussed out enough to know how this was going to end!

Derby... FA Cup... Whatever!  

3 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

No team would get relegated from the Championship, come back for pre season with 5 players and get anywhere near to promotion from League One. The fact we're 7th is a miracle in itself.

We don't have a right back, we have 2 wingers (Ones injured) the squad at full strength is unbelievably short. Take 5 regulars out and we're threadbare.

The game management today after going down to 10 men was so poor. But these players make such poor decisions at times, going directly against what they've been told to do.

All Warne can do is work with what we've got, which isn't a lot. Get through this month, get some of the injured players back and get to January.

We need at the very least a right back, a midfield enforcer and a winger. But I think we'll get more than that.

For the most part I agree. Although I don't think a play off place is beyond us at the end of the season. I believe we will get better as the season goes on. It was poor game management today but we are struggling big time with injuries and suspensions. 

1 minute ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I was just thinking along similar lines - The 2 managers in my Derby supporting time that had the most success are Arthur Cox and Jim Smith, both (more so in the case of Smith) started in more stable circumstances than Warne and would be pilloried by some on here for our early performances under them. There are some very entitled fools on here....

The bigger picture is I think we will step backwards under this manager until he brings in a team of players who can play his hoofball and run around for miles for fun. As has been demonstrated, he won't adapt to the qualities the team possess and we need to be patient until he's had some transfer windows. Thankfully for Warne, there's enough quality up front to keep the team ticking over and picking up the odd result to keep us going. 

I just hope Mr Clowes hasn't done that classic ownership mistake of recruiting a manager and not looking at the current squad at his disposal, if they fit with the style of play the manager wants to pursue. It's going to take time. Hopefully with the long contract, Warne will turn it around and we don't have to do a Sunderland and recruitment loads of managers to bounce up a division.