McGoldrick

inter politics

11 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Last season, Curtis Davies played probably the best season of his career (or at least one of them) at 36. This season, David McGoldrick is going exactly the same. At 35 years old, he’s head and shoulders of anything we ever saw from Rooney at the same age. 

He's a joy to watch, some 20 years as a professional has taught him where to be in dangerous positions, Gives others the opportunity to play to him, Holds the ball up and ghosts into places where Carlsberg can't reach.  

What I like is that our more experienced players are improving and buying into Warne-ball. And what I like about Warne-ball is that it strips away a lot of the complexity of modern coaching and is much more simple. Like "pass the ball to our best players", "get the ball forward quickly", "they're weak on their right, so keep overloading the left and we'll have opportunities" and so on. And with McGoldrick Warne has been telling him over and over again to get in the box more and stay there rather than keep dropping into midfield, "and then you'll score goals". No hat-tricks before this season in a long career, yet three now. It's not rocket science.

Of course he also links the play very well, but I think he is being more mindful of his main role for the team now. Goals change games as we saw just before half-time yesterday. If McGoldrick can stay fit for most of the remainder, then we are in with a shout. He misses games here and there, but as long as it's just the odd game, we'll be OK. I didn't expect him to become such an important player but it's great to see him contributing so much.

12 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Last season, Curtis Davies played probably the best season of his career (or at least one of them) at 36. This season, David McGoldrick is going exactly the same. At 35 years old, he’s head and shoulders of anything we ever saw from Rooney at the same age. 

He is a class act and we're very lucky to have him. The one thing I would say though, don't forget he is playing in League one. I don't think we ever saw Rooney play against the likes of Fleetwood, Forest Green, Morecambe, Accrington Stanley etc. It's therefore difficult to make a comparison.

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

He is a class act and we're very lucky to have him. The one thing I would say though, don't forget he is playing in League one. I don't think we ever saw Rooney play against the likes of Fleetwood, Forest Green, Morecambe, Accrington Stanley etc. It's therefore difficult to make a comparison.

Rooney was younger and also had a vastly superior level to come down from. If Rooney had even played to half the level McGoldrick currently is when we resumed after the covid break, we would never have been close to relegation. 

I wonder how Warne would have managed Rooney.  

Never expected this much quality from McGoldrick though. Ridiculous.