Cambridge Utd v Derby (A) matchday thread

archram

So we got a completely different way of playing, put together in only 5 days, and it worked! Although it is only doing what most of us have wanted us to do for the last who knows how many years! But its here! Woo Hoo!!!

It wasn't particularly pretty to watch, but it wasn't ugly either. And some of the lack of class was because Cambridge were in our faces from the start, and stayed the all match. Since when have we managed to withstand that?

So we got the ball going forwards quickly, we pressed and challenged all over the pitch for the entire 95.something minutes and actually believed in ourselves! Collins was in his element, Knight played very well, but strangely for him looked knackered by about 75 minutes. Bird absolutely flourished, putting in great tackles and interceptions, and that disguised lay-off to Collins for the 2nd goal was an absolute peach! Wildsmith looked confident, mainly because he was playing in goal today, instead of advance midfield, and the defence meant that he didn't actually have a shot to save, just a few crosses and a couple of through balls. And that ref - he seemed to miss quite a lot of fouls, but in reality it is more likely that he simply let them go to keep the game flowing, and I am happy with that. 

I'm almost of a mind to set off towards Pride Park ready for next Saturday's match already - I can hardly wait! Are we really back to great days ahead?

24 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I'm almost of a mind to set off towards Pride Park ready for next Saturday's match already - I can hardly wait! Are we really back to great days ahead?

Not yet, But todays performance shows what was needed in this division, You summed up the game pretty well altho I didn't see or hear the game, Bring in a Manager that knows this division, And you'll get a Manager that adapts to how the opposition play, It aint rocket science, I only have a little concern and that would be Davis, Warne says..."if you can't run you don't play" only time will tell if Curtis can build up his fitness and stamina, If so, Things will look OK

COYRs ?

56 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Cashin is like having a CB & fullback he's everywhere! If we didn't have him it wouldn't work, we're going to come under threat on the counter but i think we have enough at the back to be confident, Chester had a great game too.

Ehhh Cashin was excellent but it was noticeable the more the wing backs knackered out the harder it became.

I will say I don't remain wholly convinced by Chester. He was fine, just think we might need someone better on the ball and a bit quicker.

55 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

So we got a completely different way of playing, put together in only 5 days, and it worked! Although it is only doing what most of us have wanted us to do for the last who knows how many years! But its here! Woo Hoo!!!

It wasn't particularly pretty to watch, but it wasn't ugly either. And some of the lack of class was because Cambridge were in our faces from the start, and stayed the all match. Since when have we managed to withstand that?

So we got the ball going forwards quickly, we pressed and challenged all over the pitch for the entire 95.something minutes and actually believed in ourselves! Collins was in his element, Knight played very well, but strangely for him looked knackered by about 75 minutes. Bird absolutely flourished, putting in great tackles and interceptions, and that disguised lay-off to Collins for the 2nd goal was an absolute peach! Wildsmith looked confident, mainly because he was playing in goal today, instead of advance midfield, and the defence meant that he didn't actually have a shot to save, just a few crosses and a couple of through balls. And that ref - he seemed to miss quite a lot of fouls, but in reality it is more likely that he simply let them go to keep the game flowing, and I am happy with that. 

About Birds lay off .. lovely wasn’t it ? Drew all 3 close defenders to him thinking he was going to turn and shoot and such a cute well weighted ball to the arriving Collins - that was a tight angle and a calm finish. Yep there wasn’t quite enough on the ground for me but we won the ball in the middle more often than not. Knighty covered miles, he IS an athlete and I bet Warne knows it. 

49 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Season 1 Netflix GIF

This was me waking up from my night shift to see WhatsApps from my Dad saying Collins has scored. And then the next message saying we had won.

Not sure which was more surreal. My Dad using WhatsApp or Collins scoring and us winning away.

Great way to wake up though.

2 minutes ago, Norman said:

This was me waking up from my night shift to see WhatsApps from my Dad saying Collins has scored. And then the next message saying we had won.

Not sure which was more surreal. My Dad using WhatsApp or Collins scoring and us winning away.

Great way to wake up though.

Defo scoring away & winning. Having visions myself that I’ll wake up in a while to discover we’ve lost 1-0 really . 

Good points

Intensity and high press very good. 

Players with a purpose rather than stifling them.

Players who are best players given more of the ball. 

No panic stations at the back with slow predictable play.

Going forward with the ball. 

Things to work on 

Fitness to sustain the new style.

Not being caught offside easily due to the increased speed of the ball going forward. 

Getting a shot in more often when in the zone. 

Overall 

Delighted with the 3 points. Great for fans who have travelled regular and come back empty handed. New identity with a winning mentality to match our new era of the club.