Cambridge Utd v Derby (A) matchday thread

archram

Missed most of the game today, grafting on our old house in gamston ahead of getting new tenants in. Managed to get the last half hour on RD while driving and doing a tip run. Great goals especially the second one, brilliant from Max. Pleased for Collins, said all along the goals will come with him. Didn’t look like we created loads but created enough, again lots of situations where we don’t make the right final decision, but brilliant we restricted them to so little. Enjoyed Warnes post match interview, simple uncomplicated knows what he wants but we got an insight into him that he doesn’t have one system or one way of playing, said no way can we play with wing backs all season given it’s such a tough position to play with the physical effort required. Good solid start, couldn’t ask for any more.

Question for those who went, was McGoldrick in Cambridge with the squad today? He lives near me and when I was off to Aldi post match I’m sure I saw him out running which means hopefully his injury isn’t that serious. If it wasnt him then his double also lives in Bramcote/Chilwell. 

Well, that was an excellent day out.

Listened to the last few Radio Derby podcasts on the drive to Cambridge, and heartened to hear PW say he does not like passing it across the pitch and backwards, and gameplay has to be positive. Could see this in the players and their thinking whereas in previous games they would have kept passing across the back, whereas now they thought, better not do that, so it was a forward pass instead.

V impressed with PW setting up cones, getting directly involved with the warm up and shooting drills.

Seeing him lose his nut on the sidelines when instead of forward movement a backward pass was made.

I know it's only one game but his whole ethos on how football should be played and positivity really makes me feel very positive about the future as well.

Well done to David Clowes and his team on headhunting PW and his team of coaches as their approach is exactly what we need.

19 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

Seeing him lose his nut on the sidelines when instead of forward movement a backward pass was made.

Like to think there was a difference today. That players were told a forward pass is only possible if there’s someone ahead of you who is showing for the ball. Only possible with more bodies in midfield 

7 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Like to think there was a difference today. That players were told a forward pass is only possible if there’s someone ahead of you who is showing for the ball. Only possible with more bodies in midfield 

There were definitely options in front most of the game. It wasn't just hoofing it and hoping for the best.

My mind did stray during the game to the Johnny Russell era when he was accused of sometimes not quite fancying it, when he seemed to stray into a position where he couldn't receive the ball. This was not evident with our current crop of players today and gave me a warm little glow inside.

Big question moving forward is how will we cope with the size squad we have. If PW is going to play this formation with this intensity, we are really light on some areas… such as those wide roles. We need to get to January in the mix then hope the business plan has some flexibility in it. It’s going to be tough with so many 3 day turnarounds. 

A good foundation to build on, for sure. Definite change in philosophy, albeit not always executed brilliantly in some phases of play, as I still felt the ball when in the final third became slow but getting the ball into the final third was markedly quicker. I did like the set up of the team and everyone knew their job - brave to set up like that away from home but Chester and Cashin are brilliant in those wide centre back positions. Osula came on and gave an indication of what he is about and can do for us going forward. Dobbin showed his quality. Collins looked like a different player with someone near him. 

Impressive performance away from home, most importantly a great start for Warne and the confidence of the team going forward. 

35 minutes ago, Srg said:

Big question moving forward is how will we cope with the size squad we have. If PW is going to play this formation with this intensity, we are really light on some areas… such as those wide roles. We need to get to January in the mix then hope the business plan has some flexibility in it. It’s going to be tough with so many 3 day turnarounds. 

You'd expect the four main WB options to be Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen, Roberts and Oduroh. Forsyth should primarily be backup LCB but also LWB cover, with Knight also being cover for RWB.

7 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You'd expect the four main WB options to be Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen, Roberts and Oduroh. Forsyth should primarily be backup LCB but also LWB cover, with Knight also being cover for RWB.

You’d think so but there’s a significant drop off there in attacking output. They’re much more defenders than attackers. So much so, you can’t really play the same way with them even with the same formation.