Cambridge Utd v Derby (A) matchday thread

archram

55 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Don't try to understand them, don't even listen to them, but equally don't get into an argument with them about boat races or riding pedal cycles. They know much more than us about that ?

There are not many of them to understand or listen to really. Most people I know in Cambridge support Spurs (they have Spurs match travel info up at Cambridge station) or Man U/Arsenal/Liverpool. So I do give great credit to Cambridge fans as they are generally proper fans of the club. But they will know nothing at all about the boat race 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A few comments from the Cambridge forum.

SmartSelect_20221001_222614_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20221001_222647_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20221001_223137_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20221001_223206_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20221001_223255_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20221001_223541_Chrome.jpg

Typical 'average', 'nothing special' comments from a fan base after they've just lost. To be expected really.

The only time I've ever seen anything different on a regular basis was during the Mac1 season. Even opposition fans used to rave about us back then.

14 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

There are not many of them to understand or listen to really. Most people I know in Cambridge support Spurs (they have Spurs match travel info up at Cambridge station) or Man U/Arsenal/Liverpool. So I do give great credit to Cambridge fans as they are generally proper fans of the club. But they will know nothing at all about the boat race 

Nor nothing about Derby County it seems ?

1 hour ago, norwichram said:

I guess I can understand, at a stretch, where the Cambridge fans are coming form but they miss the context -

new team/ brand new manager/we haven’t scored an away goal all season.

We did what we needed to against a team with a good home record. That’s how you get promoted. 

I could be wrong but I don’t think we win that under Liam. 

Maybe they are missing the context or maybe they are just commenting on the game as they saw it rather than referring to any back story.

For me, the result was far more important than the performance. We were decent against a poor Cambridge team. That's good enough for me and makes you wonder what the score might have been if we had played well.

Didn’t particularly enjoy the first half. Thought we lacked composure in vital areas and were a little rushed. The goal just before half time changed the complexion.  

Had we scored our second on 70 mins I think we’d have got a couple more. I think the most pleasing thing was that this was the first game that the opposition didn’t really have a spell in the game and that’s a great sign. 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Maybe they are missing the context or maybe they are just commenting on the game as they saw it rather than referring to any back story.

For me, the result was far more important than the performance. We were decent against a poor Cambridge team. That's good enough for me and makes you wonder what the score might have been if we had played well.

A poor Cambridge team whom incidentally were above us in the table before yesterday's game.

2 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Lovely one of you two @angieram

Thanks. Brian might not think so, talking as usual! 

It's a shame you're not on there. Lucy is and she was almost next door to you.

I saw the guy taking the photos, assumed he was from Derby. Good service, do they do it every week? 

I have to say, the Cambridge stewards were excellent,  helping put the flags up, happy to answer questions and moved out of the way when asked. 

1 hour ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

This comment from the Cambridge Fans forum made me laugh, I had always thought the whole idea of playing football matches was to stop the other team playing and score against them. The winning teams football succeeds over to losing teams football, in most cases anyway, the exception being Derby V QPR at Wembly ?

image.png.80e5d2532018ba92f8f8ba8cd1f0ee77.png

That's the one comment I disliked, because it implies that we came to defend OR we kicked them off the pitch. We did neither.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Forgot to mention that’s it’s good to see our goal keeper playing like a goal keeper not a central midfielder 

He was excellent yesterday, some good punches and claiming crosses well.

2 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Lovely one of you two @angieram

That couple about to entwine in an embrace... the one where the guy is staring at the camera with the obvious sudden realisation that they are being filmed, just as the other guy is gently and lovingly caressing his ear lobe...

I'm not one to cast aspersions, but the term "playing away" seemed quite apt!    ?

... erm... or not... obviously... in fact, I'm almost certainly wrong, and there is absolutely nothing going... oh... erm... how do you cancel a post, before it goes liv

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

A poor Cambridge team whom incidentally were above us in the table before yesterday's game.

Are you saying they looked good then?

Based on yesterday's performance, which is what I'm referring to, I can't see them finishing in the top 10.

Edited by Tamworthram