Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

12 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Read the tone of @LeedsCityRam’s post above and you’ll understand what naming names leads too. It’s antagonistic.

The fact that @Carl Sagan took the time and was able to quote multiple posters’ comments shows what I am saying obviously has some weight.

But please continue trying to score points if you must.

I'm not trying to score points, just pointing out that less than a dozen posters doesn't lend more weight to your argument.

I was merely hinting at a posters name that has been conspicuous by it's absence recently. 

Come on boys & girls. We are all Derby County aren’t we? Who cares whether we were for or against PW initially. We are where we are and what’s not to like about it? Remember where we were 12 months ago. Put the points scoring to bed and let’s look to the future. COYR. 

Edited by Gisby
Spelling

4 minutes ago, Gisby said:

Come on boys & girls. We are all Derby County aren’t we? Who cares whether we were for or against PW initially. We are where we are and what’s not to like about it? Remember where we were 12 months ago. Put the points scoring go bed and let’s look to the future. COYR. 

You are right, but it’s the nature of the forum sometimes. We still love being on here, for better or for worse.

Some of the comments I’ve had directed towards me just for holding one opinion or another have been genuinely horrible. But we’re all passionate and emotional people and sometimes it can spill over.

For example, had we gone on to achieve success under Cocu, Rooney or Rosenior, there would have been comments singling me out, of that I am sure. ’Jourdan must be devastated...’ and so on.

This will all be forgotten about when McGoldrick puts us 3-0 up v West Ham.

6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

You are right, but it’s the nature of the forum sometimes. We still love being on here, for better or for worse.

Some of the comments I’ve had directed towards me just for holding one opinion or another have been genuinely horrible. But we’re all passionate and emotional people and sometimes it can spill over.

For example, had we gone on to achieve success under Cocu, Rooney or Rosenior, there would have been comments singling me out, of that I am sure. ’Jourdan must be devastated...’ and so on.

This will all be forgotten about when McGoldrick puts us 3-0 up v West Ham.

Believe me I completely understand your sentiments as I too have experienced the wrath of certain forum members during my time on here. I think it comes with the territory!!! We are all passionate in our desire for the club to prosper & succeed it’s just that we all approach it from different angles. Not taking sides with anyone but just trying take the heat out of the debate and bring us all back onto the same page ?

Derby fans have been behind Paul Warne from the first match. The support from the fans at the matches has been loud and proud  from day one. 

I think some people make the mistake of thinking a dozen posts on a forum is representative of the match going fans. Its not. The forum gives people the chance to voice their concerns or opinions, being at the game tends to bring out the positivity to support DCFC whoever is in charge.

Only a couple of hundred actually post on here regularly, 25,000 turn up week in week out and support the team and manager.

I'm not sure why some are trying to make a case that us fans are not behind Warney. 

Most of us were behind Rooney and believed he did a tremendous job in the most horrendous circumstances. One or two didn't like him and thats fine but the noise and love from the stands made it clear that the match going fans appreciated him and the respect and effort he got from the players.

The Rooney song was one of the loudest and proudest songs to be heard at PP.

You will always get a few who criticise the manager, even Clough, Mackay, Arthur and Jim had their detractors, it doesn't really matter, as long as we get behind the team and manager at every game.

COYR.

I should’ve stayed in tonight and got the popcorn out reading this thread. 

I’m not sure I’m a fan of prolonged ‘I was right and you was wrong’ posts. 

We all want Derby to do well and we all have opinions on what makes going to the matches worthwhile and what makes a manager/team good. 

I feel pretty smug at the moment because my instincts on Warne appear correct but I’m sure there will be 100 times in the future when I’m wrong. It’s part and parcel of posting on forums. 

Hopefully this thread can go back to discussing the manager and not what posters stated 2 months ago.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

It’s not hypocritical, though.

Cocu, Rooney and Rosenior weren’t taking us anywhere. I can appreciate that they had to contend with difficult circumstances and they all had some good spells or good moments, but let’s be honest, those were few and far between.

They were all inexperienced at managing clubs in the particular division we were in and never looked likely to move us forward in the way we needed.

Vitesse, Hull, DC United - would you say any of those managers advanced their careers on the strength of their work here, or more likely their previous connection to the clubs?

Warne arrived here with actual tangible success in this very division, so of course it seems strange that he wasn’t given more support from the start.

I can understand the concerns of some bloggers on here. You class Cocu, Rooney and Rosenior has inexperienced managers in the particular division we were in. I have to agree with that comment, but Rooney, Rosenior were restricted in transfers etc. Cocu seemed successful under PSV in his youth team coaching role, but never did that much in running senior teams. To be fair with Rosenior, yes he was inexperienced, but you can't fault the recruitment in a short period of time that he brought to the club.

We will never know whether he would have succeded at Derby and whether the team would have got better and Liam might have adjusted the teams playing style. Warne was renown for playering 3 centrebacks and 2 wing backs whilst at Rotherham during his 3 year spell in which he achieved 3 promotions and 2 relegations. At Derby he has adapted and changed the style, formation and tactics and with it the team have vastly improved. Perhaps his first 3 years has a manager could be classed inexperienced along side his coaching team. To state Vitesse (top league in holland, Hull ( in the Championship) and DC United (totally different league) can't be classed as advancing their career, comes across a bit naive, it's obvious the standards are better than League one football..

7 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

I can understand the concerns of some bloggers on here. You class Cocu, Rooney and Rosenior has inexperienced managers in the particular division we were in. I have to agree with that comment, but Rooney, Rosenior were restricted in transfers etc. Cocu seemed successful under PSV in his youth team coaching role, but never did that much in running senior teams. To be fair with Rosenior, yes he was inexperienced, but you can't fault the recruitment in a short period of time that he brought to the club.

We will never know whether he would have succeded at Derby and whether the team would have got better and Liam might have adjusted the teams playing style. Warne was renown for playering 3 centrebacks and 2 wing backs whilst at Rotherham during his 3 year spell in which he achieved 3 promotions and 2 relegations. At Derby he has adapted and changed the style, formation and tactics and with it the team have vastly improved. Perhaps his first 3 years has a manager could be classed inexperienced along side his coaching team. To state Vitesse (top league in holland, Hull ( in the Championship) and DC United (totally different league) can't be classed as advancing their career, comes across a bit naive, it's obvious the standards are better than League one football..

Cocu won the Dutch league title in 14/15, 15/16 and 17/18. Not the youth side.

30 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Cocu was out of work for two years until recently. He was given the job at Vitesse, a club he previously played for. Why? Consider that Cocu had had previous success with a much bigger club in Dutch football in PSV, so why would he take a step down?

Rooney was given the job at DC United, a club he previously played for. Why? If Rooney’s reputation had been so enhanced, why would he go to a team rooted to the bottom of the MLS? Surely there were better options out there?

Rosenior was given a chance at Hull, a club he previously played for. Why? If people in football circles appreciated his work at Derby, why wouldn’t he wait for a better offer?

All three clubs were struggling at the time and obviously having a familiar face in charge would encourage patience and goodwill in difficult times, so you can understand it from the clubs’ point of view.

But if these managers had done such commendable work at Derby, why are they where they are?

Edited by Jourdan

8 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Cocu was out of work for two years until recently. He was given the job at Vitesse, a club he previously played for. Why? Consider that Cocu had had previous success with a much bigger club in Dutch football in PSV, so why would he take a step down?

Rooney was given the job at DC United, a club he previously played for. Why? If Rooney’s reputation had been so enhanced, why would he go to a team rooted to the bottom of the MLS? Surely there were better options out there?

Rosenior was given a chance at Hull, a club he previously played for. Why? If people in football circles appreciated his work at Derby, why wouldn’t he wait for a better offer?

All three clubs were struggling at the time and obviously having a familiar face in charge would encourage patience and goodwill in difficult times, so you can understand it from the clubs’ point of view.

But if these managers had done such commendable work at Derby, why are they where they are?

You didn't like Rooney, fair enough, its your opinion. You made that clear but the truth is that he was a brilliant leader in our worst ever period. 

He galvanised the players and fans and was instrumental in keeping our club alive.

4 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

The truth is that he was a brilliant leader in our worst ever period. 

He galvanised the players and fans and was instrumental in keeping our club alive.

He was in a no-lose situation.

He had a lengthy contract with the club. He was in a job at a very good level despite limited to no coaching experience.

I’ve never really understood the fawning over Rooney. He gave it a good go at keeping us up and created a siege mentality, as all managers would attempt to do.

I could understand the adulation if he had stayed with the club up to now and was leading the charge back into the Championship. But he left pretty sharpishly.

David Clowes was instrumental in keeping the club alive. Rooney was simply doing what was in his interests.

Perhaps I am wrong but that’s the way it seemed.

8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Calm down. You’re being confrontational for no real reason.

I didn’t even mention you directly or anyone specific. But what I am saying is fair and true and if you have been paying attention, you would know that.

But naming names or quoting people and their comments was never my intention. I am not in the business of embarrassing people.

Tired Britney Spears GIF

5 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Please stop being silly....

Cocu came here under difficult circumstances after Lampard ( who you fail to mention in your list!! ) but someone who left us in the lurch with a small part of pre season left, Lampard went on to manage Chelsea and Everton which by your yardstick means he's a good desirable manager but look how thats turned out.

Rooney showed real leadership when we needed it most when everything seemed to be going wrong at our club and i remember thinking how demoralising it would've been had Rooney walked away when we all going through the hell of the latter part of the Morris tenure, but he stayed and with Rosenior gave us more chance than I thought possible yet both were rookies learning as they went and made mistakes as anyone learning on the job does.

You seem very self righteous now in your love for Warne and although I really like the bloke and am very pleased with how he's got us working hard it doesn't detract from the fact i was sceptical when appointed and there is nothing wrong with that.

We all have doubts with decisions regarding new managers as no one is guaranteed to be a success and people airing there views is why we all here and it makes what the forum is

In the past you have found negatives galore as anyone with a glass half empty will find if you see it that way, but please don't make silly comparisons like saying Cocu was out of work for 2 years blahdy blah when many good managers have done the same ...Dyche for example has been out of management a while doesnt make him a bad manager, Bielsa,Wilder,Pochettino, Zidane,Tuchel, Benitez i think are all out of jobs ?

I will always be thankful of the efforts and loyalty shown by Rooney when we needed him the most and Rosenior is a good young coach/manager who will do well IMO and Hull City was a good move for him and I hope he does well

I have said this in the past Jourdan and no offence intended but you always find negatives in everything and now all of a sudden you are Warnes biggest fan and say he was ideal for us due to his history in league1 but plenty of managers have had the pedigree and credentials and experience to succeed but doesn't mean they do.

Wilder knew how to get teams promoted from league1 and the Championship yet failed at Boro so give Rooney, Rosenior and Cocu some credit maybe for the jobs they did under difficult circumstances

Just to get us back on topic, having had a good sleep, I would like to say I am still not completely sold on Paul Warne.

I can’t knock what is being achieved in terms of recent momentum, nor the fact that he (and his team lest we forget) has obviously galvanised the dressing room. The latter in itself does however make me think there is much more to him than I first thought, as to get ‘Liam’s Squad’ onboard so swiftly could have been difficult - although giving credit to Liam he signed up some good professionals.

l think I am also warming to Paul on the basis that I have stopped listening to him for a few months. This technique has also worked well in a long marriage.

My reservation remains style of football. I don’t watch as much as most on here, so my sample size is low comparatively. But just taking Tuesday as an example, perhaps a classic example, we had a team on paper miles better than the team we were playing, but still chose to  take them on in a game of kick and rush. Yes I know the weather and pitch evened things out a bit, but we won in the end not because of 90 minutes of huff and puff, but because of a couple of moments of quality from a wideman involving holding the ball, beating a man or two, and delivering a decent cross. McG and NML took their chances well, reflecting again that they remain Championship quality forward players.

I still wonder if Paul can get us playing what I call attractive football, passing the ball consistently up through the channels. I don’t doubt he will get us up, in fact I am sure I will be cheering him on at Wembley come the end of the season. Time will tell I guess. In the meantime I will keep posting any reservations I have on here, and saving up all my positivity for when I can get my arse off the sofa to go to a match. Perhaps that shouldn’t be too long (what do you think @Boycie?).

Edited by i-Ram

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Most of us were behind Rooney and believed he did a tremendous job in the most horrendous circumstances. One or two didn't like him and thats fine but the noise and love from the stands made it clear that the match going fans appreciated him and the respect and effort he got from the players.

The Rooney song was one of the loudest and proudest songs to be heard at PP.

Players aside, the best thing about the Rooney team was Liam, oh and Rooney’s PR adviser. Look at the club’s culture now and think what it would have been like under Kirchner and Rooney, with Stretford pulling the strings. Lucky escape, Mike Ashley would have been preferable imho.

For many you mention I think the proud support for Rooney was mostly proud support for a club under siege. And looking back I think many see Rooney as an abysmal managerial appointment and near the top of the list of major misjudgements by Mel Morris 

I’d far rather be in div 1 under Warne than in the championship under Rooney 

17 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Just to get us back on topic, having had a good sleep, I would like to say I am still not completely sold on Paul Warne.

I can’t knock what is being achieved in terms of recent momentum, nor the fact that he (and his team lest we forget) has obviously galvanised the dressing room. The latter in itself does however make me think there is much more to him than I first thought, as to get ‘Liam’s Squad’ onboard so swiftly could have been difficult - although giving credit to Liam he signed up some good professionals.

l think I am also warming to Paul on the basis that I have stopped listening to him for a few months. This technique has also worked well in a long marriage.

My reservation remains style of football. I don’t watch as much as most on here, so my sample size is low comparatively. But just taking Tuesday as an example, perhaps a classic example, we had a team on paper miles better than the team we were playing, but still chose to  take them on in a game of kick and rush. Yes I know the weather and pitch evened things out a bit, but we won in the end not because of 90 minutes of huff and puff, but because of a couple of moments of quality from a wideman involving holding the ball, beating a man or two, and delivering a decent cross. McG and NML took their chances well, reflecting again that they remain Championship quality forward players.

I still wonder if Paul can get us playing what I call attractive football, passing the ball consistently up through the channels. I don’t doubt he will get us up, in fact I am sure I will be cheering him on at Wembley come the end of the season. Time will tell I guess. In the meantime I will keep posting any reservations I have on here, and saving up all my positivity for when I can get my arse off the sofa to go to a match. Perhaps that shouldn’t be too long (what do you think @Boycie?).

I would have to say,that you need to watch more of how derby now play.....

Derby v Bolton was more indicative of our style when we play a game on a pitch that doesn't resemble a ploughed field.

I've watched every game this season and I have been impressed how we have developed into a high energy,high pressing tram with some lovely football being played.

Warne is nothing but adaptable though and can turn his hand at playing the rough and tumble sides as well as the league's high flyers.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

11 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

He tends to start games with a more direct approach, then begin to mix it up with shorter balls. The squad does both pretty well.  I think defenders find the mixing it up hard to deal with and we’re less vulnerable to a strong press than we were under Rooney and LR. (Not that there are many of those in this div). PV were fresher than us on Tuesday so we had less possession than we’d expect and as you mention the pitch just got worse and worse.  I think he’s got us playing plenty of attractive football and he’s more or less getting the best out of the squad.