Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

18 minutes ago, Geriatram said:

Richie Barker that brings back happy memories.

Cloughie signing. Scored on his debut v Huddersfield, Gordon Hughes outside right, Alan Hinton outside left, Kevin Hector inside right, John O’Hare inside left, Barker centre forward.

All out attack……….jumpers for goal posts, happy days!

21 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Can't we just be normal for five minutes?

Someone subsequently has remarked in this thread that this was the first time that a full set of “likes” had been achieved, but there was an earlier one buried deep in the illustrious “Administration” thread.

I keep reading that we need stability. I also keep reading that a 4 year deal is risky. 

To me, it looks like David Clowes has taken time to decide exactly what needs to be done and has moved decisively to achieve it. Whether it's the right decision, only time will. If Warne turns out to be a great manager, we will be brilliantly stable. If not, then hopefully Clowes will be the one footing the bill...unlike a certain business ambassador. 

I will give Warne time before I call him out as a coach whose teams don't play attractive football. He made the best of what he had at Rotherham so assume he decided that style was his best option for success. No reason why he won't advocate attractive attacking football at Derby with the resources he has. DC has clearly had this on the burners for a while hence the speed it moved from rumour to announcement.

In many ways I like this feeling of clearing the decks, LR was a great guy and actually did well IMHO building this squad and getting us into a decent league position. But this now draws a line fully under the Morris catastrophe and moves us on from the Cocu, Rooney, LR styles.

Looking forward to watching the development.

23 minutes ago, robglosta said:

At the end of the day any feelings towards Liam will soon dissipate if we get promoted this season under Warne. It’s really hard to argue with his experience versus that of a novice. I’ve always thought Liam has spoken about the game impeccably but I’ve never been convinced by his ability to really command the respect of senior players (find his approach quite weak and uninspiring in the clips on RTV).

That said; he’s been an asset to the club in the seedlings of the post-EFL admin era.  

Agree with is in part.  Although I enjoy his positivity, it didn't seem off the cuff.  It's like you could see the media training.

As for Warne, only time will tell.  Have been watching/reading/listening to stuff on him all morning and he certainly comes across as a progressive coach, and not the hoofball/"funkin get into em!" merchant he's been painted as by some.  A few Millers fans have also said their football this season has been a lot better now they haven't got that massive lump Smith to get it up to.  So again, I'm cautiously optimistic that we won't see a return to Rowett-Ball.

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Glad to see it is officially confirmed. Now looking forward to seeing how B4 spells Warne.

Considering how much a meltdown he had the time we played in a maroon away kit, he should be careful not to spell it WOAN...

Edited by ramsbottom

5 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Agree with is in part.  Although I enjoy his positivity, it didn't seem off the cuff.  It's like you could see the media training.

As for Warne, only time will tell.  Have been watching/reading/listening to stuff on him all morning and he certainly comes across as a progressive coach, and not the hoofball/"funkin get into em!" merchant he's been painted as by some.  A few Millers fans have also said their football this season has been a lot better now they haven't got that massive lump Smith to get it up to.  So again, I'm cautiously optimistic that we won't see a return to Rowett-Ball.

Just a smidge over 2 weeks and we'll see what Warne is about, Port Vale at home circa 27,000+ in PP all expecting a win except for the Vale fans, Warne will have a sleep pattern of a gerbil still running round that wheel, This aint Rotherham, This is a club with expectations, He'd better eat summat and drink summat and not get wobbly on his feet.

Looking forward to see how he sets us up, And the reports from here who are off to Cambridge ?

I think some of us are guilty of letting our like of Liam Rosenior the man cloud our assessment of Liam Rosenior the manager.

If we had appointed, say, Paul Lambert or Aidy Boothroyd or Darren Wassall or Justin Walker, as an interim manager to start the season and had exactly the same performances and results as what we've had this season, would we be saying that this is a harsh decision or would we be saying that it's fair enough given the appointment was only as made as an interim with no promises of getting the permanent gig?

I really don’t don’t get this attractive football line. Winning football is always attractive. As long as you score more than the opposite side it really doesn’t matter. In fact, I think I prefer a goal where it goes keeper to striker goal, rather than 30 passes. 

Wildsmith 

Chester.    Davies.    Cashin 

Knight Smith.  Hourihane 

NML                                         Barkhauzen     
                 Collins McGoldrick 

that’s what I am expecting once Hourihane serves his suspension with the others popping in and out with the five subs bit and all that 

One thought that has crossed my mind is if Liam had wind of us showing an interest in Warne prior to this week. In his post match interview he made a rather pointed comment about how committed he was in getting us to play a style of football that fits with the traditions of the club and what our fans expect. Was this a bit of a dig at what he knew might be coming?

46 minutes ago, robglosta said:

never been convinced by his ability to really command the respect of senior players

Agree with this. Between them the older players have seen busloads of managers and if he didn’t  impress them he’d never have got sufficient buy in

Also hope the change will reduce the chances of losing some valuable players in January 

still surprised though -  the decision must have been made several weeks ago