Conor Hourihane

Poynton ram

14 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I was disappointed with Conor first half. Not sure he puts everything into it sometimes, the hard yards to give the extra ability chance to flourish, maybe its me and I expect a bit more from him.

Better second half, crisper passes, bit more urgency about him.

I was frustrated with his first half performance too - lost possession poorly a few times and wasn't creating much. Far better second half as you said. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another sort of ok type game today. Clearly he can score the odd goal outside the box, he has a pass or cross in him on occasions, but would rather have Knight back alongside Bird if McGoldrick is fit. Was Warne’s comment post match on rotation, a chance to drop Hourihane and do exactly that?

We have got have a delicate balancing act regarding maximum wages for the squad and currently we are awash with midfielders in the centre of the park. We could afford to lose one or two of them, to afford wages in positions like RB where we are very short. Hourihane will be on the highest wages of the summer signings and would attract the interest of other clubs, especially LR's Hull.

The departure of Hourihane would also allow Sibley, Knight or Smith to play in their more natural position. Hourihane would be better suited to playing for a team like LR's Hull in the championship, also. It would be a win, win situation all round, in my opinion.

39 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Another sort of ok type game today. Clearly he can score the odd goal outside the box, he has a pass or cross in him on occasions, but would rather have Knight back alongside Bird if McGoldrick is fit. Was Warne’s comment post match on rotation, a chance to drop Hourihane and do exactly that?

Hope so, would love to see knight along side Max bird.

Totally agree, when we signed Hourihane I was excited and thought he’d be pivotal to the team. 
that hasn’t happened. If we could ‘sell him’  (even for 150k!) and bring in a proper right back we’ve had a right result. We’ve improved the team. 
With Knight and Smith both more suited to compliment Bird I think we can let CH go. He’s a player for sure but not with us, not this year not alongside Max Bird. 

great set pieces and has attributes I like but it I feel he  imbalances the team and too many times we lose the ball/control in the middle of the pitch. 

the idea of him only being used at home or for certain games has merit too. 

I find this Hourihane bashing a bit strange. In our last six games he has three assists. Pretty good in my opinion, getting better definately. Compared to Bird he's contributed more in fewer minutes this season in the league so far if we look at both goals and assists. Also a lot of people seem to think that he and Bird doesn't work well together but I would say that in addition of assisting goals (three and two in our last six) they protect the backline well (when was the last time we lost in the league?). Not bad. I can understand why Warne plays them both all the time.

As the season goes I've been more frustrated with Bird, especially earlier in the season. In one of the early Warne games (I forget which one) we were losing and got a throw in. Bird was closest to the ball and started slowly walking towards it. Hourihane ran from further back past Bird, took the throw and play continued while Bird stood there looking suprised and lost. Fortunately he's improved since then.

2 minutes ago, RamDotFi said:

I find this Hourihane bashing a bit strange. In our last six games he has three assists. Pretty good in my opinion, getting better definately. Compared to Bird he's contributed more in fewer minutes this season in the league so far if we look at both goals and assists. Also a lot of people seem to think that he and Bird doesn't work well together but I would say that in addition of assisting goals (three and two in our last six) they protect the backline well (when was the last time we lost in the league?). Not bad. I can understand why Warne plays them both all the time.

As the season goes I've been more frustrated with Bird, especially earlier in the season. In one of the early Warne games (I forget which one) we were losing and got a throw in. Bird was closest to the ball and started slowly walking towards it. Hourihane ran from further back past Bird, took the throw and play continued while Bird stood there looking suprised and lost. Fortunately he's improved since then.

My view is people often look for a scapegoat of sorts. Expectations were sky high for some when we signed Hourihane, the “HMS p*ss the leaguers”, he’s contributed solidly if unspectacularly to the team, as have pretty much all of them who have pulled on the shirt. He’s scored goals and assisted, puts in a shift alongside Bird. 
I do wonder if we’d converted a few more of the draws into wins would people still be as critical? Possibly as there does seem to be a want for us to control games in the middle of the park a bit more, I’d probably agree with wanting to see a little more control in games. Either way Hourihane, like the team, has been solid enough in my view. He’s helped us stay unbeaten in 13 games and be in or around the play off spots, pretty good scenario given where we were in the summer. I’m hopeful he’ll carry on contributing for the Rams, steering us to a top 6 finish and promotion via the playoffs ? 

23 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

My view is people often look for a scapegoat of sorts. Expectations were sky high for some when we signed Hourihane, the “HMS p*ss the leaguers”, he’s contributed solidly if unspectacularly to the team, as have pretty much all of them who have pulled on the shirt. He’s scored goals and assisted, puts in a shift alongside Bird. 
I do wonder if we’d converted a few more of the draws into wins would people still be as critical? Possibly as there does seem to be a want for us to control games in the middle of the park a bit more, I’d probably agree with wanting to see a little more control in games. Either way Hourihane, like the team, has been solid enough in my view. He’s helped us stay unbeaten in 13 games and be in or around the play off spots, pretty good scenario given where we were in the summer. I’m hopeful he’ll carry on contributing for the Rams, steering us to a top 6 finish and promotion via the playoffs ? 

I think you're half right.

I don't reckon many folk are picking on him because they are looking for a scapegoat but I do think expectations were perhaps unrealistically high. He's not doing as badly as some would make out but, despite what the statistics may say, I don't think he's making quite the impact that the other relatively big name signings (NML and Didzy) have made.

Stumbling upon the Forsyth/Cashin combination has helped out the midfield a great deal, as they aren't absolutely destoryed for pace & ftness when left exposed by our lack of a dedicated defensive midfielder. It's certainly helped stop all of the penalty claims against us.

Smith being a very much a 'defense only' RB has also helped our backline's ability to keep the ball out. I'm not sure it'd be the same if we had a more attacking RB and/or went back to back to 3 CBs (where Cashin & Forsyth both look less comfortable).

Edited by Kokosnuss

41 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Stumbling upon the Forsyth/Cashin combination has helped out the midfield a great deal, as they aren't absolutely destoryed for pace & ftness when left exposed by our lack of a dedicated defensive midfielder. It's certainly helped stop all of the penalty claims against us.

Smith being a very much a 'defense only' RB has also helped our backline's ability to keep the ball out. I'm not sure it'd be the same if we had a more attacking RB and/or went back to back to 3 CBs (where Cashin & Forsyth both look less comfortable).

Trouble is we just know he will back to 3 at the back and wing backs as soon as he possibly can. I'd much sooner he stuck with a back 4 and 3 in midfield

Watch Hourihane when we’re defending. He’s a danger because - just as Tom Lawrence did - he gets himself more or less in the right position then doesn’t put in the effort to do the job of a defender. And he does a lot of finger pointing and arm waiving telling others to do this and that.  Can be worse than not tracking back. Mixed blessing for sure.

Knight in midfield would be much more effective and complements Bird better. If he plays his best, so would Tommo 

13 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Watch Hourihane when we’re defending. He’s a danger because - just as Tom Lawrence did - he gets himself more or less in the right position then doesn’t put in the effort to do the job of a defender. And he does a lot of finger pointing and arm waiving telling others to do this and that.  Can be worse than not tracking back. Mixed blessing for sure.

Knight in midfield would be much more effective and complements Bird better. If he plays his best, so would Tommo 

Knight and Hourihane play together for Ireland.   Before the Wycombe game I suggested we put them together as we were probably missing a trick. We did for 40 minutes and Hourihane had freedom to move as they were worried about one or the other breaking forward.