Conor Hourihane

Poynton ram

26 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Knight and Hourihane play together for Ireland.   Before the Wycombe game I suggested we put them together as we were probably missing a trick. We did for 40 minutes and Hourihane had freedom to move as they were worried about one or the other breaking forward.

For Ireland, Knight plays in a midfield 3. Hourihane sits on the bench.

38 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Knight and Hourihane play together for Ireland.   Before the Wycombe game I suggested we put them together as we were probably missing a trick. We did for 40 minutes and Hourihane had freedom to move as they were worried about one or the other breaking forward.

Well fair enough. Hourihane is a luxury item,  and we earn one of those if Jason energiser Bunny is on the pitch. This leads to Bird on the Bench though and if you’re brave enough to suggest that surely you get banned for life 

Edited by kevinhectoring

24 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Well fair enough. Hourihane is a luxury item,  and we earn one of those if Jason energiser Bunny is on the pitch. This leads to Bird on the Bench though and if you’re brave enough to suggest that surely you get banned for life 

I would bench Bird for a spell. 

He's playing every game, every minute pretty much both this season and last, I'm not so sure that's the right approach with one so young. 

Once we've played the next two league games, I'd give him a week off, let him skip the cup game, and come back refreshed and ready for the grind to come.

I think it would do him the world of good.

Edited by Rev
Clarity

51 minutes ago, Rev said:

I would bench Bird for a spell. 

He's playing every game, every minute pretty much both this season and last, I'm not so sure that's the right approach with one so young. 

Once we've played the next two league games, I'd give him a week off, let him skip the cup game, and come back refreshed and ready for the grind to come.

I think it would do him the world of good.

Iv been the biggest person to slate bird, but the last couple of games i think hes been the best we have ever seen bird!

18 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

When he went off tonight, the 3 balls Sibley put over were hit with more pace and energy than any Conor put over in my opinion.

Really don’t get why he has to take almost every deadball situation? Why Sibley can’t be allowed to take some baffles me.

It must be written into his contract, though I doubt it specifies that every one has to be floated gently into the keeper's hands. 

Harsh on CH. I thought his set piece deliveries first half was good, plus he found more space dropping a little deeper.

Sibleys set pieces were good but not amazing. No better than CH IMO. A driven ball isn’t as good as a whipped in delivery that goes 10-12 feet max of the floor.

42 minutes ago, Crewton said:

It must be written into his contract, though I doubt it specifies that every one has to be floated gently into the keeper's hands. 

Being fair, the one in the first half that I think Dobbin headed into the keepers arms, was a decent enough delivery but like you say, it was almost floated in, so no power for anyone to Direct with purpose. @rammieib btw i’m not saying Hourihane was dross, it’s just frustrating that Sibley can also deliver a very good cross with purpose, so let’s share around eh, because Conor has not shown enough to stake a claim like a Beckham, Bale or Messi, to say he should take just about every set piece in the opposition half.

8 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Being fair, the one in the first half that I think Dobbin headed into the keepers arms, was a decent enough delivery but like you say, it was almost floated in, so no power for anyone to Direct with purpose. @rammieib btw i’m not saying Hourihane was dross, it’s just frustrating that Sibley can also deliver a very good cross with purpose, so let’s share around eh, because Conor has not shown enough to stake a claim like a Beckham, Bale or Messi, to say he should take just about every set piece in the opposition half.

Wasn’t that Korey Smith? Opposite end to me, but thought it was. 

As for Hourihane… if Knight is staying he should be playing there next to Bird. Finally, in his actual position for seemingly the first time ever. 

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Wasn’t that Korey Smith?

Yes it was.

I thought Smith played well but he has zero pain threshold. Every game he goes down beating the floor in anguish only to leap to his feet once the magic sponge has been applied.

Hourihane has so much ability but moments like his Peter Kay ‘ave it! clearance last night astound me.

29 minutes ago, Srg said:

As for Hourihane… if Knight is staying he should be playing there next to Bird. Finally, in his actual position for seemingly the first time ever. 

Yes. Twice (at least) a man who hasn't scored in 5 years got in the box and wasted good chances. Perhaps just stick to defending Corey.

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Can we really grumble when as a team we aren’t letting goals in ? - sure I want knight and Sibley attacking but winning is rather important as we are fifth without playing well yet this season 

Yep, you can’t have the best defensive record in the league and barely give up a chance if you are carrying anyone in midfield.

Both him and Bird are playing a very underrated role in the team

36 minutes ago, Srg said:

Ahh right I was in the West upper, more looking at the angle of the ball delivered than who headed it from the pack, so you’re most likely right. Think the point still stands, decent delivery, just floated without much pace.

I’d love to see Knight next to Bird. Also noticed Bird play a number of decent balls into Sibley, it all seems to go unnoticed that these players know one another’s games, they anticipate each other’s strengths and know weaknesses, so don’t often play each other into trouble. Really hope we can find a way for all 3 to stay in the team. It’s not a romantic idea, they’re all worthy if played in the right areas and given encouragement.

59 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes. Twice (at least) a man who hasn't scored in 5 years got in the box and wasted good chances. Perhaps just stick to defending Corey.

Definitely seemed like a ploy to get him forward though, must be something the coaches have worked on.