Conor Hourihane

Poynton ram

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

He’s been pretty underwhelming for me!

obviously a good left foot and can shoot, but corners not been great.

personally thought him and bird would mean we control possession and the game, but the opposite is probably true.

not sure it’s age related either as he still seems to be fit and does a lot of running.

1 hour ago, Ramifications said:

I think Sibley is better at taking corners. 

Conor needs to start working some magic. 

He needs to do more work where it matters in the middle of the pitch. Stop drifting to the left touchline and getting in the way of our left back and wide midfielder.

Hourihane has scored 3 goals and provided 3 assists so far this season. Mendez-Laing has 3 goals and 4 assists yet everyone would say he’s been a relative success. McGoldrick 4 goals, 2 assists, Collins has 7 goals and 0 assists.  Funny how our expectations and perceptions can differ from player to player.
Plenty of games left for Hourihane, and others, to continue contributing to the team. He can definitely give more from set pieces, I’d like to see him and Bird with another body in midfield, Knight or Smith if we can find a right back, I think a third midfielder allowing Hourihane to roam around a bit more in the attacking third of the pitch would see him improve on his goals and assists. 

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

At both Plymouth and Barnsley. particularly Barnsley, he spent a fair amount of time out wide.  He's actually never been an out and out midfielder and certainly not a holding one.  Bit like Bradley Johnson never was one.  He got 15 goals for Norwich playing wide.

Not sure where you're getting your info from, but he spent most of his time at Plymouth at CM in what was typically a form of 442. About 5 games at LM, a couple at RM and 1 at LB. 

In his first season at Barnsley, he may have played on the left a lot more, but still played in a central position twice as often. 2nd season almost exclusively back to playing in the middle. He only played Central in the half season before Villa signed him. 

Since Villa signed him in 2017, he played at LM only twice, and once at LB (for Ireland) 

1 hour ago, Yani P said:

His dead ball delivery today was fantastic.

As well as some of his passing during the game. I thought him and Bird both did well in the middle of the park, not spectacular but battled when they had to, won the ball back and used it well. I really want to see a 3 man midfield of Hourihane, Bird and Knight for the next game. Collins would probably miss out with McGoldrick the central striker.