Conor Hourihane

Poynton ram

34 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Someone has to take a corner and basically kick it towards the penalty box ?

This is true. They don't all do it with the same quality though. Hourihane should be capable of much in this regard, but to my aging eyes it appears to be almost always the same corner (into the middle, average speed, bit of bend), which begs the questions: should he try something different, or perhaps should someone else take them, at least now and again?

That said, I've never expected Derby to score from corners and we've somehow done it twice already this season.

41 minutes ago, David said:

Disagree that Bird and Hourihane can’t play together, just not in a 2.

Midfield 3, get Knight in there alongside Hourihane, Bird behind and get that right back position sorted.

Who do you leave out? The Sibley/McGoldrick option?

1 hour ago, jameso said:

Who do you leave out? The Sibley/McGoldrick option?

Both would be on the bench as attacking options to bring on, or rotated in with fitness/suspension issues.

Sibley has looked better coming on as an impact player.

McGoldrick is 35 in November, not a player we can be building the team around and rely on playing Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday

7 minutes ago, Magicman said:

We need to move Knight , although he is our best RB, to make a midfield of Rooney, Smith and Knight . I like NML & Barkhuzien wide still. Sibley as an impact sub and Dobbin but he needs to use the ball & pace better. 

It's a big call that at this stage of his career Rooney would be a better bet than Bird in a midfield suited to his game (although Rooney looks like he could go a long way to me, whether in that role or as CB).

I think any 3 from Bird-Smith-Knight-Hourihane should have enough going for it to boss the middle, but suddenly it feels like we have even less going forward - unless Knight is going to be the ultimate box-to-box midfielder! Collins looks isolated too much of the time already and I don't think being wide is what makes our wide players dangerous - in NML's case, it's pace and power. Do we need to play a bit more narrow too then?

Conor is a good player and so is Max. Early days, formations will change. New players still settling in to a new club and new surroundings on and off the pitch, in a new division.

A great deal of new things, with a number of new people at the club, with many changes to their lives and the changes at the club, that require some time to gel. Plenty of big clubs in this division that have struggled behind the scenes, like ourselves, and have had to re-build steadily.

We will be alright, plenty of good passages of play in performances, so far to suggest that we can create, score, and win games.

And our support remains to back our club, back our players, management, staff and owner and support it anywhere, in any kind of weather, with pride, passion in all our lifes, with love and unity.

On 15/09/2022 at 10:19, Ghost of Clough said:

Will Hourihane play that killer ball that will lead to a chance/goal?

Assists
Bird - 1 (open play)
Hourihane - 1 (corner)

Any more stats mate?……..I’ll wait 

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Odd post. How many assists did Bird and Hourihane get today?

Odd post really ? Couldn’t give a s*** about assists, how many goals did backwards get? How many chances did we create when backwards went off Vs when he was on?

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Odd post really ? Couldn’t give a s*** about assists, how many goals did backwards get? How many chances did we create when backwards went off Vs when he was on?

You quoted me in reference to you saying Hourihane plays more killer balls. Neither player added to their assist tally for the season.

Individual goals and chances created and taken by other players doesn't come in to it at all. 

Very odd series of posts from you.

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You quoted me in reference to you saying Hourihane plays more killer balls. Neither player added to their assist tally for the season.

Individual goals and chances created and taken by other players doesn't come in to it at all. 

Very odd series of posts from you.

I thought we were discussing the influence of Bird and Hourihane on the team?…… ok pal, you stick to the geeky stats, I’ll remain in the real world of understanding football ???

3 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I thought we were discussing the influence of Bird and Hourihane on the team?…… ok pal, you stick to the geeky stats, I’ll remain in the real world of understanding football ???

Maybe book yourself in to Specsavers then, as you didn't read the post which you quoted.

Here's the post you quoted:

On 15/09/2022 at 10:19, Ghost of Clough said:

Will Hourihane play that killer ball that will lead to a chance/goal?

Assists
Bird - 1 (open play)
Hourihane - 1 (corner)

Very clearly about the two players creating goals and not scoring them