Conor Hourihane

Poynton ram

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

They both got into threatening positions, and they both should have done better. The goals scored column for them both show that.

Dobbin will undoubtedly score more goals in his career, and tbh the way Collins has looked recently I'd rather he was playing there.

But that wasn't the point.

It appears you’re not fully understanding my point in the same way I don’t understand or cannot see yours from the way it was articulated.

Smith, Dobbin, Mendez-Laing, Cashin, Collins and McGoldrick should/could all have done better with the chances they had last night, some of which were provided by Hourihane’s crossing ability. Thankfully Dobbin took a chance really well and we won the game. That’s it right? No need to compare one player to another in a disparaging way, just stating that we could and would have won more comfortably if a number of them had taken the chances presented for/created by them.

Thankfully Hourihane, Barkhuizen, NML, Collins, McGoldrick, Dobbin, Osula and others have been involved in goals during our games which have led to us being in a very solid position within the play off positions at the midway point of the season. Those players and others have also contributed to a collective team effort defensively. Looking forward to continued contributions from all players in a rams shirt for the rest of the season ? 

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

Smith, Dobbin, Mendez-Laing, Cashin, Collins and McGoldrick should/could all have done better with the chances they had last night, some of which were provided by Hourihane’s crossing ability. Thankfully Dobbin took a chance really well and we won the game. That’s it right? No need to compare one player to another in a disparaging way, just stating that we could and would have won more comfortably if a number of them had taken the chances presented for/created by them.

What would you have said if Dobbin hadn't scored - say headed over like he has done previously. Or Smith missed more than one sitter?

You'd just say 'well at least the fullback got into the box...'

Your prerogative, mine is to say I'd prefer Smith to stay in defence and for someone else to get into the box as he hasn't scored for 5 years and is as prolific as Dobbin.

PS I'm still a Rams fan in case you think otherwise. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

What would you have said if Dobbin hadn't scored - say headed over like he has done previously. Or Smith missed more than one sitter?

You'd just say 'well at least the fullback got into the box...'

Your prerogative, mine is to say I'd prefer Smith to stay in defence and for someone else to get into the box as he hasn't scored for 5 years and is as prolific as Dobbin.

PS I'm still a Rams fan in case you think otherwise. 

I wouldn’t, I’d say exactly the same thing I just did. Collectively the team should and could be scoring more goals. That’s a fair comment in my view. We need more goals from the forwards consistently, we need the midfielders to chip in with more, and a couple more headed goals from the defenders at set pieces would be lovely like the Roberts one the other week. But I’m also happy to see the team be solid and not lose games meaning there’s a platform to build more wins on to.
You say Smith is as prolific as Dobbin, he’s not, Dobbin has scored more in half a season than Smith has in 5 years, the comparison is untrue and unfair, that’s the point I’m making. Just say “ideally we’d have forwards in the box for those scoring opportunities rather than fullbacks”.
I don’t get and don’t like the attacking of individuals that goes on when it’s a team. Dobbin and Hourihane in particular seem to be the targets of a vocal few on here and social media. If they were putting in zero effort, slating the club and their colleagues, repeatedly causing us to lose games then maybe I can see the need to call them out. But they’re not, they’re contributing to the team’s continued revival on and off the pitch so deserve recognition for that and what I would term constructive criticism I suppose. 
I know your a ram through and through Roy, not questioning that, just volunteering my view that as a fan base I’d like to see us be less negative towards individuals putting a shift in for the club. I live in hope of spreading a little more kindness around in general. 

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

I know your a ram through and through Roy, not questioning that, just volunteering my view that as a fan base I’d like to see us be less negative towards individuals putting a shift in for the club. I live in hope of spreading a little more kindness around in general. 

Okay, fair does. I'd like that too, so I'd better do my bit. #COYR

I'm glad that Smith chose to sign for the club and help us attempt to be promoted this season. He and all our squad are undoubtedly doing the best they can for our Club, trying to get the results we need. Here's hoping the New Year brings new goal-scorers for us, Warney better buy in some new mugs! ?

We all have our views on how well or how poorly players have played and it's a free country, so we should be able to put forward these views. However, in this age where our views are put out there for all, including the players, to see, shouldn't we hold back a little of our criticism of individual players, in the interest of the well being of our club?

To some players, it'll be water off a duck's back, others may be motivated to improve, but others will lose confidence and this can only be to the detriment of the team.

Players know when they're playing poorly and if they don't, I'm sure the coaching staff will put them right, in the right way for that particular player.

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

A lovely finish to a great move today. 6 goals and 4 assists so far for the season, looking forward to a few more as we continue to roll on ? 

Yep, he's playing much better than a couple of months ago. His work rate is good and he has that touch of quality that you need sometimes. 

He's definitely benefiting from having Knight in the team, Knights work rate gives Hourihane and Bird more space and time to play in and we're reaping the benefits!