Conor Hourihane

Poynton ram

2 hours ago, sage said:

Bird is coming in for a lot of stick but he's virtually playing on his own in CM and is constantly outnumbered. That affects your game with and without the ball. 

When we go 4231 as in recent games, Hourihane plays as if the left sided CM in a three, leaving Bird covering 2/3 of midfield. 

Exactly. I’m amazed by the number of fans that can’t see this. 

32 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Not really, Bird had a semi decent season last year but hasn’t improved really overall in the past 3 years. He creates very little unfortunately and for a CM he needs that in his bag. If the real issue is we can’t play Bird and Hourihane together then it’s Bird who should miss out IMO anyway (it’s all subjective of course).

I do agree on the AM though, however I would rather play a 2 up top anyway than 1 with 1 behind. 

If you want to compare the two, Hourihane has averaged 2.4 key passes per game to Bird's 1.1 (4th highest in the squad). Despite Hourihane playing every minute of every game, and taking every set piece, he's made just 10 more key passes this season. He's taken 54 corners and 17 free kicks so far.

You criticise Bird's "backwards passing", but ignore Hourihane's passing which rarely move us more than 5m up the field. Plenty of long passes across the pitch though. Bird also played more diagonals to the wingers against Lincoln than Hourihane did.

Bird is also the better defensive contributor:
     - Interceptions 14 vs 5
     - Clearances 6 vs 1
     - Fouls 7 vs 9

Had an average season at Swansea 2 seasons back and then a really poor one last season. I would’ve thought the step down in quality would make up for his tiring legs. So far that wouldn’t be the case. 

Although I think there’s a few issues with our tactics at the moment so he may well be suffering due to that. 

Not sure of his wage either but at the time Lord saviour David Clowes had come in most of the decent free transfers had gone. So we didn’t have much choice than to take a gamble on oaps and their legs.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If you want to compare the two, Hourihane has averaged 2.4 key passes per game to Bird's 1.1 (4th highest in the squad). Despite Hourihane playing every minute of every game, and taking every set piece, he's made just 10 more key passes this season. He's taken 54 corners and 17 free kicks so far.

You criticise Bird's "backwards passing", but ignore Hourihane's passing which rarely move us more than 5m up the field. Plenty of long passes across the pitch though. Bird also played more diagonals to the wingers against Lincoln than Hourihane did.

Bird is also the better defensive contributor:
     - Interceptions 14 vs 5
     - Clearances 6 vs 1
     - Fouls 7 vs 9

It’ll be xG next ?….Will Bird play that killer ball that will lead to a chance/goal? Nope. Hourihane will. We don’t score goals taking Conner out and leaving Bird in will not help this. Hourihane is a potential match winner Bird isn’t.

4 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Had an average season at Swansea 2 seasons back and then a really poor one last season. I would’ve thought the step down in quality would make up for his tiring legs. So far that wouldn’t be the case. 

Although I think there’s a few issues with our tactics at the moment so he may well be suffering due to that. 

Not sure of his wage either but at the time Lord saviour David Clowes had come in most of the decent free transfers had gone. So we didn’t have much choice than to take a gamble on oaps and their legs.

Bird and him need help as they are getting overrun .

Let’s be honest the majority of the players signed in the summer are all on downwards trajectories in their respective careers, we couldn’t have done any better with signings due to the amount we needed and the restrictions imposed by the EFL. Anybody that thought we would walk the league because we signed some big name, championship players is starting to have a big reality check. My main worry is we’re going to be hampered by restrictions again this summer so we’re going to be heavily restricted in who we can sign again. It’s going to be another summer of past their best, older players until we can start recruiting properly.

Back to the original point, I think most expected more from him, but I also echo the sentiments that he needs to be played further forward, sitting at the base of midfield with Bird is not helping us whatsoever.

Like many others, I was excited by this signing. I remember seeing him play a few times, and he always looked a very capable player. He may still be, but it just doesn't appear to be working at the moment, especially with him playing alongside Bird. Indeed, this could be one of the reasons why Max looks a different player this year. He was nailed on for the DM slot this season after last year, and in my view, rightly made captain. Hourihane then comes in. Liam clearly rates him and wants him in the team, and Max probably feels that he is no longer top man. It has probably had a big destabilizing effect on Max, which could be the reason behind his poor form. Play Max alongside Knight, and I think you would see a completely different Max Bird.

Unfortunately, for reasons that we all know about and have discussed at length, we appeared only able to recruit 2 types of player this summer, experienced pro's, inevitably coming towards the end of their careers, or young players released by other clubs for various reasons.

With hindsight, and knowing that we were looking to build a whole new squad - one for the future, and knowing that League One was always going to be a tough division to play in, hard, physical and fast, we should have gone more down the route of trying to attract players more suited to the league.

I wonder if we should have been 'fishing in a different pool' - i.e. looking for young hungry players currently playing in League One, or possibly League Two, with ambition and potential, or just a point to prove. I know we were/are under strict EFL restrictions, and we started recruiting later than most other clubs, but DCFC is surely still a massive draw for young hungry ambitious players wanting to make a step up the football ladder.

Even if Hourihane (and indeed Collins) come good, it won't be long before we would need to replace / upgrade anyway.

I fear that we bought into the 'must get promoted this season at all cost' transfer strategy, which is in danger of backfiring, when we really should have accepted a season of stability with a transfer policy of buying players for future, followed by a push next season with a team that has gelled, and has the 'legs' for a promotion push.

Obviously we need to adopt a system of playing as well that not only suits the players at our disposal, but also reflects the division we are in and the type of football needed to get promoted.

I hope that I am wrong, that things turn round soon, and we do start to get back into contention this season, but I fear this season will be a wasted opportunity, and we will have to start a new two year plan to get out of this division next summer, possibly with a new manager.

Two issues with Bird, who I rate: for whatever reason, he isn't mobile enough in matches, and too often he seems a good few metres from where he needs to be. I can't put my finger on why - instructions? Confusion about his role? Not fully fit?

Hourihane has been as immobile, and his passing has been hit-and-miss from the start. One good goal, a couple of assists (but most of his  other set-pieces have been very ordinary), supporting TexasRam's view that he's the one most likely to affect a match. But he's affecting it more by being dire in the middle.

I wouldn't bring in Thompson for either though. The options we're left with are Knight (that old chestnut!) and Smith when he's fit. I think Rosenior is holding out for the latter, and I think he will drop one of them, most likely Bird.

Mind you, am starting to think Smith AND Knight would make a refreshing change, just for a bit of energy!

38 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

It’ll be xG next ?….Will Bird play that killer ball that will lead to a chance/goal? Nope. Hourihane will. We don’t score goals taking Conner out and leaving Bird in will not help this. Hourihane is a potential match winner Bird isn’t.

Will Hourihane play that killer ball that will lead to a chance/goal?

Assists
Bird - 1 (open play)
Hourihane - 1 (corner)

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Assists
Bird - 1 (open play)
Hourihane - 1 (corner)

Yes he will 

Edited by TexasRam

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Assists
Bird - 1 (open play)
Hourihane - 1 (corner)

To be fair Hourihane also took the corner converted by the Barnsley defender... not that I am building his case for him because I'm not sure why we have so little variety from corners. Not the biggest team, but nearly always the same option. I accept we've scored twice and that's great but one was an own goal and one a free header vs. ten men.

The midfield balance is way off. Hourihane and Bird are basically the same player- neither can play as a traditional DM. Bird has really frustrated me so far this season, a lot of passing talent but he is so lightweight that opposition players practically glide past him. It looks like Hourihane has been tasked with pulling onto the left flank to provide crosses so when we lose possession, teams can just bypass our entire midfield. 

Given we don't have a traditional midfield enforcer/general in our squad, I think we need to move to a midfield 3 with Knight. Jason has more defensive tenacity so can more effectively screen the back 4, but also has the engine to operate as a box to box midfielder when required. Rooney could make the step up also.

We need a bit of steel and determination in midfield, basically, not 2 players who struggle to break up play out of possession...

Disagree that Bird and Hourihane can’t play together, just not in a 2.

Midfield 3, get Knight in there alongside Hourihane, Bird behind and get that right back position sorted.

Same old discussion I know, so frustrating we’re relying on the attitude of a young player to fill a gap we have failed to fill, whilst also weakening our midfield.

40 minutes ago, jameso said:

To be fair Hourihane also took the corner converted by the Barnsley defender... not that I am building his case for him because I'm not sure why we have so little variety from corners. Not the biggest team, but nearly always the same option. I accept we've scored twice and that's great but one was an own goal and one a free header vs. ten men.

Someone has to take a corner and basically kick it towards the penalty box ?

I don’t know if many agree but the best and most mobile midfield I have seen for Derby this season was against WBA with Smith Knight and Thompson - we could easily play Bird Knight Smith together and give he opponents something to do in midfield and make more room for our forwards  - Hourihane can drop into and out of our midfield but he shouldn’t and can’t play full games