Conor Hourihane

Poynton ram

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Maybe book yourself in to Specsavers then, as you didn't read the post which you quoted.

Here's the post you quoted:

Very clearly about the two players creating goals and not scoring them

Beep, beep, beep, vehicle reversing…….another FIFA/football manger geek who knows nothing about the game 

36 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Great goals  today. 

Quality 

Has the quality, nowadays it might be limited in how often he shows it, but inarguable today that by we need him in the team.

Bird I simply don't understand. He has similar quality, there is nothing he cannot do, but there is so so much he does not do, no matter what stats you throw at it. It must be a mental thing, I think he's too clever for his own good sometimes  - this was shown with his forward foray today where at every second he was looking for someone else to take the ball until eventually he was close enough to goal to shoot.. and it was a very poor shot, because he overthought it. I can appreciate that but it doesn't help his output.

I regularly see GOC defend Bird's contribution with stats measured against other players in our squad but I don't remember ever seeing a comparison against the rest of the league?

Edited by Kokosnuss

Difference in our midfield today was that Bird, low on confidence, didn’t want the ball. Hourihane, despite things not working out for him, kept wanting the ball. In the end, he was rewarded. 
For those questioning his MOM award, he scored both goals in a 2-1 win.

Without his contribution it’s a 0-1 defeat.

21 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Difference in our midfield today was that Bird, low on confidence, didn’t want the ball. Hourihane, despite things not working out for him, kept wanting the ball. In the end, he was rewarded. 
For those questioning his MOM award, he scored both goals in a 2-1 win.

Without his contribution it’s a 0-1 defeat.

Person of the match, by the way. 

29 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Has the quality, nowadays it might be limited in how often he shows it, but inarguable today that by we need him in the team.

Bird I simply don't understand. He has similar quality, there is nothing he cannot do, but there is so so much he does not do, no matter what stats you throw at it. It must be a mental thing, I think he's too clever for his own good sometimes  - this was shown with his forward foray today where at every second he was looking for someone else to take the ball until eventually he was close enough to goal to shoot.. and it was a very poor shot, because he overthought it. I can appreciate that but it doesn't help his output.

I regularly see GOC defend Bird's contribution with stats measured against other players in our squad but I don't remember ever seeing a comparison against the rest of the league?

What was Hourihane doing at 21 do we know?

27 minutes ago, Srg said:

Thought he was pretty horrendous today. Looked tentative, dangling his foot in, let far too many balls just pass him by. His usual good set pieces even went awry. Really needed to be subbed off, and then he scored twice. Funny old game. 

Agreed. It was his worst game for us by some distance, however the two goals (especially the first) is exactly why we can’t leave him out the team. It’s not like we’re inundated with players with a history of scoring goals.

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

Agreed. It was his worst game for us by some distance, however the two goals (especially the first) is exactly why we can’t leave him out the team. It’s not like we’re inundated with players with a history of scoring goals.

He does make it look easy. Don't know why we don't just stick him up front.

I have always said about teams that don’t pass the ball 600 times during a game but score 2 goals and win the game that it’s goals that win the matches.

If you aren’t having the best of games but pop up with two goals to win the game you are the hero. 

I’ve done it enough times when I used to play.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Thought he was pretty horrendous today. Looked tentative, dangling his foot in, let far too many balls just pass him by. His usual good set pieces even went awry. Really needed to be subbed off, and then he scored twice. Funny old game. 

Got better when Bird went off and Knight along side him. Better balance. Knights forward movements and drive pulled there midfielders away from CH as opposed to Bird just there shirking challenges, passing sideways ala Butterfield. Bird is the weak link 

1 hour ago, McMuffin said:

Got better when Bird went off and Knight along side him. Better balance. Knights forward movements and drive pulled there midfielders away from CH as opposed to Bird just there shirking challenges, passing sideways ala Butterfield. Bird is the weak link 

I hate to admit it, because I have always been a huge MB fan, but this was also the case against Peterborough. It was only when Smith replaced him then that we came to life.

Absolutely no need to write him off, especially so early in his career, but after a couple of seasons of being a key man he may need a bit of time on the bench while he and management work out what changes are needed to his game.

4 hours ago, IslandExile said:

And I said 'leave him out' ?

What do I know? ?‍♂️

Same here, though I qualified it by saying either him or Bird should play, but not both. I thought Max was having the better game of the two, but Rosenior chose to leave on the greater goal threat and he was rewarded for that. Two great finishes from Hourihane has probably reminded us all of what he can do. 

1 hour ago, McMuffin said:

Maybe, but Bird would have benefitted the exact same. Either could and probably deserved to come off. 

3 hours ago, Srg said:

Imo he needs to be played higher up with knight and say bird behind him.

at his age he doesnt want to be trying to do eveeything in the mid, defending, chasing down the flanks , supporting / doubling up with the full back.

give him the licence to push up and cheat a little defensively.. give that job to knight and bird and let CH do what he does best

probably imo at the expense of sibly.. who was meh … tends to be the case when he starts