My idea honour of queen one last time.

B4ev6is

I, along with many people, am saddened by her death. I never met the lady and am not particularly royalist but she does seem to have been loved and respected throughout the world.

On @Ellafella’s poll (that doesn’t allow comments) I voted no to pausing football this weekend but I would be strongly in favour of a minutes silence followed by the national anthem and players wearing black arm bands. Thankfully, we’re away from home as Derby always seem to make a mess of such things.

Nice thought B4 but I’m not sure there’s quite a need for a massive flag especially dedicated to the event.

Despite already being up here, I voted to cancel out of respect. This is a huge occurence and I thought a pause on entertainment would be respectful. But then I heard theatres etc won't shut and I don't like the inconsistency. 

However, if there's just a tiny chance of repetition of that "Lizzie's in a box" chant from Dublin last night, then I can understand why football gets singled out.

19 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

More than twice the number of Rams fans have voted not to call off Saturday’s game. It seems like showing Respect is a thing of the past. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and perhaps an  “Away day bender”  is more important.

Nobody is saying an away day bender is more important.

Thousands of people will be attending football matches this weekend. Not every one is on an away bender or a bender of any kind.

These thousand of people could be observing a minutes silence, players wear black armbands and sing God Save The Queen as a way of paying their respects.

Cancelling football and those thousands will just be at home doing nothing? I'm not sure how that is paying respect?

You saw at West Ham yesterday the fans singing God Save The Queen. How powerful and respectful that was. 

Children are at school, people are at work. Whilst it's a very sad day in British history life has to go on.

1 minute ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Nobody is saying an away day bender is more important.

Thousands of people will be attending football matches this weekend. Not every one is on an away bender or a bender of any kind.

These thousand of people could be observing a minutes silence, players wear black armbands and sing God Save The Queen as a way of paying their respects.

Cancelling football and those thousands will just be at home doing nothing? I'm not sure how that is paying respect?

You saw at West Ham yesterday the fans singing God Save The Queen. How powerful and respectful that was. 

Children are at school, people are at work. Whilst it's a very sad day in British history life has to go on.

Yes, if we are at work, why should footballers not be?

We need things which unify us at times like this. Next weekend’s football might be cancelled because it will be close to funeral time.

The Queen was a great one for keep calm and carry on. Doing so would be the greatest tribute.

I voted no but on the basis it’s her funeral next weekend, I don’t think we should cancel two weekends on the trot and to me it would feel wrong having football next weekend when it’s her funeral so I would postpone all fixtures next weekend. 

There should be some pause as a matter of respect IMO but then the Queen would also want people to carry on. Makes no sense to pause sporting fixtures and not theatres etc but the funeral day I believe everything is shutting so makes sense to do it that weekend.

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

More than twice the number of Rams fans have voted not to call off Saturday’s game. It seems like showing Respect is a thing of the past. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and perhaps an  “Away day bender”  is more important.

I think it's a false premise Jim, that respect has to equal complete cancellation of already planned activities. 

Surely we can do both?

If you don't believe that's possible, can I ask why not? And do you advocate cancellation of all events that might be described as leisure activities? 

3 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I think it's a false premise Jim, that respect has to equal complete cancellation of already planned activities. 

Surely we can do both?

If you don't believe that's possible, can I ask why not? And do you advocate cancellation of all events that might be described as leisure activities? 

I think that people should do whatever  they feel is right. I was just a little suprised by the vote.

I really dislike the idea that any sporting fixtures should be cancelled anywhere in the country.

Who pays the millions of fans around the country who have paid a lot of money to attend these fixtures?

Whether its golf at Wentworth today being cancelled, Football Matches today (or hopefully not but tomorrow), etc.

People have paid a lot of money which I can assure you train companies, hotels and so on will not reimburse. The best you will get is your ticket for the event back.

Then you'll be onto the big insurance claims. The Sports will want the Government to mandate so they can probably use insurance claims to get lost earnings and so on.

All for what? Are we as fans then just going to sit at home all day watching television and mope around? Sure some will, but most will go out to the pub or town or do something else will their time.

I'm very pro Royal Family. I'm very much about honouring her life but use sport as a platform to do this. She loved her sport - do you really think she'd have wanted sports to stop? Not at all - I'm confident on this one.

Lets fans pay their respects - minute silences, play the National Anthem honouring her for one last time (before I asusme the lyrics change in the future), wear arm bands. I don't see cancelling events as a way to honour someone's life sadly.

Just saying this how it is - not hear to offend anyone.

I can't even go to Morecambe, so a cancellation would even work in my favour, but sports should be played.

Not sure what cancelling football has got to do with showing respect?

Firstly, only 68 have voted so far not to call off the game - hardly a reasonable sample size of the Derby fan base. Secondly, there are other ways of showing respect - a minutes silence, playing of the national anthem, players wearing black arm bands, any flags to be flown at half mast etc. without necessarily calling off the game. Maybe large numbers of people attending games up and down the country and joining in with any such tributes could be a good way to show respect en-masse.

I voted not to call the game off but certainly wouldn't have any objection if they did.

18 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I really dislike the idea that any sporting fixtures should be cancelled anywhere in the country.

Who pays the millions of fans around the country who have paid a lot of money to attend these fixtures?

Whether its golf at Wentworth today being cancelled, Football Matches today (or hopefully not but tomorrow), etc.

People have paid a lot of money which I can assure you train companies, hotels and so on will not reimburse. The best you will get is your ticket for the event back.

Then you'll be onto the big insurance claims. The Sports will want the Government to mandate so they can probably use insurance claims to get lost earnings and so on.

All for what? Are we as fans then just going to sit at home all day watching television and mope around? Sure some will, but most will go out to the pub or town or do something else will their time.

I'm very pro Royal Family. I'm very much about honouring her life but use sport as a platform to do this. She loved her sport - do you really think she'd have wanted sports to stop? Not at all - I'm confident on this one.

Lets fans pay their respects - minute silences, play the National Anthem honouring her for one last time (before I asusme the lyrics change in the future), wear arm bands. I don't see cancelling events as a way to honour someone's life sadly.

Just saying this how it is - not hear to offend anyone.

I can't even go to Morecambe, so a cancellation would even work in my favour, but sports should be played.

What the West ham fans did last night was good

I think they will cancel football this weekend and quite possibly next week depending on the funeral.

Not that I agree with it personally, I just think in these special circumstances that decision will be made.

The governing bodies will not want to risk any unsavoury scenes whilst the spotlight is on the country. You have some clubs yesterday, even disabling replies to their condolence tweets to avoid disrespectful replies.

For me, I think clubs should be able to decide individually without risk of punishment to postpone in a decision which is made with the players.

As fans, we have the choice to attend or not. Many will miss games throughout the season as they mourn the loss of loved ones, attend weddings, christenings and other personal events, this should be no different.

3 minutes ago, David said:

I think they will cancel football this weekend and quite possibly next week depending on the funeral.

Not that I agree with it personally, I just think in these special circumstances that decision will be made.

The governing bodies will not want to risk any unsavoury scenes whilst the spotlight is on the country. You have some clubs yesterday, even disabling replies to their condolence tweets to avoid disrespectful replies.

For me, I think clubs should be able to decide individually without risk of punishment to postpone in a decision which is made with the players.

As fans, we have the choice to attend or not. Many will miss games throughout the season as they mourn the loss of loved ones, attend weddings, christenings and other personal events, this should be no different.

Maybe Prince William will have a big say in it as President of the FA? I would respect whatever he wants (except when he wanted Villa to beat us in the play off final).  

11 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Maybe Prince William will have a big say in it as President of the FA? I would respect whatever he wants (except when he wanted Villa to beat us in the play off final).  

Not sure about that, would imagine he will have a lot on with the loss of his grandma, impending state funeral, his elderly Dad becoming king, all whilst his brother and wife have recently been making serious accusations against the family. 

Should Morecambe v Derby go ahead is probably way way down his list of priorities right now, and to be honest.