My idea honour of queen one last time.

B4ev6is

9 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Can’t you do something with your family 

Would doing something with your family be more or less disrespectful than an under 7s football match?

People have spent so long plannung for the queen's death, just so we can get some pictures of her on bus stops withing an hour of the news being announced. Shame they couldn't have decided on things that actually impact people's lives. How many businesses will be impacted by all these last minute cancellations and postponements?

47 minutes ago, rammieib said:

What a farce - my 7-year old daughters friendly match has now been cancelled.

What is the world coming to.... So what are these kids now going to do instead - sit on a play station all day.

The UK has gone mad.

Same here. Boils my piss. They should leave the kids out of it - let them crack on as normal. A minutes silence before tomorrow's match would've been fine. Cancelling is infuriating.

38 minutes ago, David said:

Shouldn’t be hard. 

Proof of address.

Match ticket receipt.

Travel receipt.

Hotel receipt.

Would take some time to process, wouldn’t happen overnight, but no reason why genuine travel and hotel costs could not be refunded. All will have the purchase date on so no trying to sneak a cheeky dirty weekend away in Morecambe on the PL dime. 

I don’t share you confidence and think it would be very difficult for the very same reasons:

Every fan from across the country would need to submit a claim, with the appropriate invoices and then prove it was genuinely only incurred in order to attend the games. Every fan would also need to prove they have tried to get a refund from the hotel, travel company.

Irrelevant anyway as I can’t imagine there is anyway it’s going to happen. You’re technically correct that it’s a decision the governing body chose to make but did they really have a choice?

59 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I understand your sentiment but to compare non essential sports events with essential services like the police is not really very sensible.

If the funeral is during the week I'm sure it will be a public holiday (holiday doesn't really feel appropriate) but, of course the emergency and security services will have to work unless you're proposing all the bad guys take the day off as well and the roads are closed to prevent the risk of any accidents. 

You missed the point,  Forces and Police have to swear an oath to the Queen/King and are loyal to the Crown, and yes they have to work, it is their duty.

Postal workers have cancelled todays strike to work, because of their close association to the crown in respect for the Queen. Will be down town tonight and all the bars will be open, for me it should be the individuals choice to take a day off if they can be spared.

How many would want the day off if they were not paid, Sceptical me.

8 minutes ago, SirBrian said:

You missed the point,  Forces and Police have to swear an oath to the Queen/King and are loyal to the Crown, and yes they have to work, it is their duty.

Postal workers have cancelled todays strike to work, because of their close association to the crown in respect for the Queen. Will be down town tonight and all the bars will be open, for me it should be the individuals choice to take a day off if they can be spared.

How many would want the day off if they were not paid, Sceptical me.

That’s not the point you are made (as I interpreted it). There was no mention of Royal Mail in your initial post and it seemed pretty clear to me that you were comparing the footballers getting the day off to the security and emergency services. Also, whether the police have to swear an oath to the Queen/King is irrelevant. They have to work not so much because it’s their duty but because they are an essential service. I don’t imagine the fire service staff have to swear an oath (perhaps they do) and hospital staff certainly don’t but they would also have to work.

17 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don’t share you confidence and think it would be very difficult for the very same reasons:

Every fan from across the country would need to submit a claim, with the appropriate invoices and then prove it was genuinely only incurred in order to attend the games. Every fan would also need to prove they have tried to get a refund from the hotel, travel company.

Irrelevant anyway as I can’t imagine there is anyway it’s going to happen. You’re technically correct that it’s a decision the governing body chose to make but did they really have a choice?

The idea is that hotels and travel companies do not need to refund, so there is no need to show proof of chasing a refund up by the hotel.

If I open an email from a Derby fan that sends a booking confirmation from a B&B in Morecambe or even Blackpool prior to 8th September, along with an email of a match ticket purchase and train ticket, clearly that fan was attending the game.

If I opened another email with just a hotel and train booking, I’m going to clearly ask why they were travelling without a ticket to a sold out event and decline any refund.

It really really isn’t that hard. Airlines process refunds for costs incurred by delayed flights on a daily basis, whilst I would expect the process to not be as swift, I really have struggles seeing what difficulties they would have. 

What’s going to happen now is some fans will travel regardless, enjoy the weekend away or attempt refunds. Those successful in refunds have cost hotels valuable revenue as it’s now out of the tourist season and any rescheduled fixture could be midweek and without any stay over.

One thing I've noticed today is the quick pivot between people's outpouring of overwhelming grief yesterday, quickly replaced by frustration at events being cancelled this weekend. Like we're all conditioned to the rolling news cycle. A famous person dies, we pay our respects. Next day we move on to the next story

A few posters (quite rightly) had a go at me yesterday for not showing enough respect, yet today all the displeasure is about too much respect being shown because it now directly impacts on people's lives

Thankfully i had no plans but to sit and listen to the game on RD, but I do think that the establishment have hugely misjudged the public mood here with the "10 days of national mourning" thing

I remember when Diana died everything (including football) was cancelled for ages - which seemed totally ridiculous. It would be absurd not to do likewise for the longest-reigning monarch in the history of England and the United Kingdom. I'm an ambivalent Republican but she was a fantastic Queen if we were going to have one, and as a nation it's important we mark this moment and the transition. It's what Britain does well and the world expects of us. Me and Mrs Sagan went to Buckingham Palace last night and are at the memorial service in St Paul's this evening.

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I remember when Diana died everything (including football) was cancelled for ages - which seemed totally ridiculous. It would be absurd not to do likewise for the longest-reigning monarch in the history of England and the United Kingdom. I'm an ambivalent Republican but she was a fantastic Queen if we were going to have one, and as a nation it's important we mark this moment and the transition. It's what Britain does well and the world expects of us. Me and Mrs Sagan went to Buckingham Palace last night and are at the memorial service in St Paul's this evening.

Only 1 game was cancelled for that.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Would doing something with your family be more or less disrespectful than an under 7s football match?

People have spent so long plannung for the queen's death, just so we can get some pictures of her on bus stops withing an hour of the news being announced. Shame they couldn't have decided on things that actually impact people's lives. How many businesses will be impacted by all these last minute cancellations and postponements?

Completely nothing to do with my post what I meant was couldn’t he do something with his daughter so she isn't sat inside on a PlayStation ie go out ,fresh air etc

Cricket carrying on "to pay tribute to the Queen" at The Oval where the new King owns the land the ground sits on.

Every single morsel of football cancelled. 

Says it all about the suits that run it. 

Edited by Diego

39 minutes ago, David said:

The idea is that hotels and travel companies do not need to refund, so there is no need to show proof of chasing a refund up by the hotel.

If I open an email from a Derby fan that sends a booking confirmation from a B&B in Morecambe or even Blackpool prior to 8th September, along with an email of a match ticket purchase and train ticket, clearly that fan was attending the game.

If I opened another email with just a hotel and train booking, I’m going to clearly ask why they were travelling without a ticket to a sold out event and decline any refund.

It really really isn’t that hard. Airlines process refunds for costs incurred by delayed flights on a daily basis, whilst I would expect the process to not be as swift, I really have struggles seeing what difficulties they would have. 

What’s going to happen now is some fans will travel regardless, enjoy the weekend away or attempt refunds. Those successful in refunds have cost hotels valuable revenue as it’s now out of the tourist season and any rescheduled fixture could be midweek and without any stay over.

Far point about not claiming a refund although I'm not sure the football authorities would agree. 

Airlines do of course have long established processes for dealing with such claims (even then with varying degrees of success it seems). I doubt the football authorities ever have.

Sticking with the airline analogy, when other third parties (I.e. insurance companies) are asked to step in and cover travel costs and/or accommodation due to cancellation they will normally expect you to seek a refund first.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your principle but don't think it's got a cat in hells chance of being adopted.

6 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

It's obvious to me that even the most macho football lads have been deeply touched by the Queen's passing, so I'd vote to not cancel the fixtures this weekend to allow people to come together and share their grief in an environment that they feel comfortable in. No brainer

It’s a funny thing, I think the minutes applause thing (rather than silence ) started with George Best. I’ve always liked it as a concept. We remember and acknowledge- but we go on, and we are doing it together. There would have been some great scenes and a lot of emotion. Many Die hard Footy fans are ardent royalists and would welcome the togetherness as you suggest. 

That said , it doesn’t bother me too much either way, it’s no worse or better than Sky shifting a game. Bit of a disruption,  would prefer it if we carried on. Life has its little bumps but this is a moment of history worth reflecting on regardless of your views so maybe it’s ok. 

5 hours ago, David said:

I think they will cancel football this weekend and quite possibly next week depending on the funeral.

Not that I agree with it personally, I just think in these special circumstances that decision will be made.

The governing bodies will not want to risk any unsavoury scenes whilst the spotlight is on the country. You have some clubs yesterday, even disabling replies to their condolence tweets to avoid disrespectful replies.

For me, I think clubs should be able to decide individually without risk of punishment to postpone in a decision which is made with the players.

As fans, we have the choice to attend or not. Many will miss games throughout the season as they mourn the loss of loved ones, attend weddings, christenings and other personal events, this should be no different.

Just heard on radio derby funeral wont at least 2 weeks time.

12 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I, along with many people, am saddened by her death. I never met the lady and am not particularly royalist but she does seem to have been loved and respected throughout the world.

On @Ellafella’s poll (that doesn’t allow comments) I voted no to pausing football this weekend but I would be strongly in favour of a minutes silence followed by the national anthem and players wearing black arm bands. Thankfully, we’re away from home as Derby always seem to make a mess of such things.

Nice thought B4 but I’m not sure there’s quite a need for a massive flag especially dedicated to the event.

Well she did open pp all those years ago