My idea honour of queen one last time.

B4ev6is

3 hours ago, Mick Brolly said:

Completely nothing to do with my post what I meant was couldn’t he do something with his daughter so she isn't sat inside on a PlayStation ie go out ,fresh air etc

Yeah fair enough. I was just pointing out how a 7 year old girl isn't allowed to play football, but the family will be able to pretty much anything else as normal.

5 hours ago, rammieib said:

What a farce - my 7-year old daughters friendly match has now been cancelled.

What is the world coming to.... So what are these kids now going to do instead - sit on a play station all day.

The UK has gone mad.

Why not spend an hour or so talking to your daughter about dedication, unwavering loyalty, sacrifice and leadership. Grown up stuff, she might like it and learn something.

Truly shocking the wining self entitled rubbish being spouted. It is a weekends football in respect of someone who has served this country for so long through war and peace, good and bad. Get a frigging grip!

And don't bother with any replies or silly likes or dislikes as I will sign out and leave you all to your petty moaning. 

3 hours ago, jono said:

It’s a funny thing, I think the minutes applause thing (rather than silence ) started with George Best. I’ve always liked it as a concept. We remember and acknowledge- but we go on, and we are doing it together. There would have been some great scenes and a lot of emotion. Many Die hard Footy fans are ardent royalists and would welcome the togetherness as you suggest. 

That said , it doesn’t bother me too much either way, it’s no worse or better than Sky shifting a game. Bit of a disruption,  would prefer it if we carried on. Life has its little bumps but this is a moment of history worth reflecting on regardless of your views so maybe it’s ok. 

Even Sky give you more than 24 hours notice.

Well we better than most clubs know that the EFL quite often get the decisions wrong. I have total respect for the Queen and her passing upsets me but immediately the crown passed to Charles, so life goes on. If football wanted to mark its respect by cancelling games appropriately, in my view that should have been limited to the eve and the day of the funeral the Sunday and Monday next weekend. With the mid-winter World Cup, we can ill afford postponing games without good reason.

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I remember when Diana died everything (including football) was cancelled for ages

No, it wasn't. She died on August 31, 1997, and the Premier League game between Bolton and Everton went ahead as scheduled the next day.

12 hours ago, Ramleicester said:

Why not spend an hour or so talking to your daughter about dedication, unwavering loyalty, sacrifice and leadership. Grown up stuff, she might like it and learn something.

Truly shocking the wining self entitled rubbish being spouted. It is a weekends football in respect of someone who has served this country for so long through war and peace, good and bad. Get a frigging grip!

And don't bother with any replies or silly likes or dislikes as I will sign out and leave you all to your petty moaning. 

I suspect there are plenty of players who wouldn't even have the weekend off if their OWN parents passed away.

Life goes on...and they would think the right thing is to honour them by playing and making some kind of tribute as part of it.

Baffles me why clubs couldn't quickly come up with ways to celebrate her life before/after/during the game. Cricket, rugby...all made a more sensible decision.

If by next weekend there is a clamour to cancel the game or its a public holiday that would make sense. Nothing gets people together or stirs pride more than being together in a stadium so I would have preferred to show respect by standing and signing the national anthem than sitting in the garden on my own. People organise huge tribute concerts for that reason- why cancel the opportunity for that to happen? People are as much annoyed they can't celebrate her life as much as just being annoyed about the game not going ahead.

Edited by Chester40

On 09/09/2022 at 09:09, angieram said:

Despite already being up here, I voted to cancel out of respect. This is a huge occurence and I thought a pause on entertainment would be respectful. But then I heard theatres etc won't shut and I don't like the inconsistency. 

However, if there's just a tiny chance of repetition of that "Lizzie's in a box" chant from Dublin last night, then I can understand why football gets singled out.

This ^. 

22 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Would doing something with your family be more or less disrespectful than an under 7s football match?

People have spent so long plannung for the queen's death, just so we can get some pictures of her on bus stops withing an hour of the news being announced. Shame they couldn't have decided on things that actually impact people's lives. How many businesses will be impacted by all these last minute cancellations and postponements?

That's a point I hadn't considered, that the FA could have had plans in place.

With the World Cup being this year there's already huge pressure on fixtures and the potential cancelations of two weekends at a time of year when weather is highly unlikely to intervene usually could be a real problem.

59 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

That's a point I hadn't considered, that the FA could have had plans in place.

With the World Cup being this year there's already huge pressure on fixtures and the potential cancelations of two weekends at a time of year when weather is highly unlikely to intervene usually could be a real problem.

I know Coventry have pitch problems because of Commenwealth Games rugby, but they were already 3 games behind where they should be. Today is off, then potentially their game on Weds and next Saturday. It's the international break then, so they could be 5 or 6 games behind by October. If there is bad winter weather, they could be the new Rotherham.

2 minutes ago, Chellaston Ram said:

I thought thread was that people are moaning about matches being cancelled. What point am I missing?

The point that football fans are being denied the opportunity to show their respect in the way that they would have liked, the matches will still be played, that’s not the point.