My idea honour of queen one last time.

B4ev6is

33 minutes ago, SirBrian said:

Served 9 years for Queen and country 1975 - 1984 and a Royalist through and through, are the troops having a day off, let alone the Police and other security services etc. Why should sport be cancelled, West Ham fans got it right with their show of respect.

I understand your sentiment but to compare non essential sports events with essential services like the police is not really very sensible.

If the funeral is during the week I'm sure it will be a public holiday (holiday doesn't really feel appropriate) but, of course the emergency and security services will have to work unless you're proposing all the bad guys take the day off as well and the roads are closed to prevent the risk of any accidents. 

Calling everything off is nonsense. The rest of the country still has to work, but chuck your bit of fun in the bin. Can I not work because I need to sit at home and be sad? The one place people can actually come together a bit too, should they wish to. It's virtue signalling at it's finest by organisations trying to look good rather than be logical - it was already announced that they could go ahead and it's up to the governing bodies, and this is the nonsense decision we get.

3 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Funeral will be the following weekend I believe - so the games will also be called off next week too

It probably will but the same principle applies. Banks and shops etc will probably close but logic dictates that the security and emergency services will still have to work and to suggest otherwise is insane.

Edited by Tamworthram

My FPL team was having a bit of an injury crisis, so this could help.

But realistically, they shouldn't be cancelling all these events. This season is already messed up enough with the World Cup in the wrong place (geographically and seasonally).

It's just going to cause more bother than its worth. It is virtue signalling. I don't see how carrying on with activities such as football is disrespectful to the Queen. People will now find other things to do, they're not going to sit at home in silence. We're now going to further the fixture congestion problem which was already there because of a World Cup in the middle of the season. Pathetic from the PL and EFL. Would have been far better to sing the national anthem at the ground like West ham did to celebrate the life of her majesty.

Now what I thought would happen has, it would be nice in this cost of living crisis for the football governing bodies to come together and refund fans hotel and travel costs for this weekend.

Many will have been booked in advance, some at a cheaper price with no refund option. Whilst you could argue you are never guaranteed 90 minutes of football, waterlogged pitch etc.

This weeks postponements are entirely down to the football governing bodies. 

Hotels and travel companies should not have to suffer losses refunding the thousands of fans up and down the country.

2 minutes ago, David said:

Now what I thought would happen has, it would be nice in this cost of living crisis for the football governing bodies to come together and refund fans hotel and travel costs for this weekend.

Many will have been booked in advance, some at a cheaper price with no refund option. Whilst you could argue you are never guaranteed 90 minutes of football, waterlogged pitch etc.

Hotels and travel companies should not have to suffer losses refunding the thousands of fans up and down the country.

Good luck with that. Not least due to the logistical challenge of identifying all the genuine costs incurred by every fan across the country they'd have to prove. 

18 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

It's just going to cause more bother than its worth. It is virtue signalling

You're the second person in this thread to describe as such. Ultimately it's just a gesture of respect that they feel appropriate on the death of our Queen. 

It feels odd to have such a controversial term as "virtue signalling" applied here. 

11 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Good luck with that. Not least due to the logistical challenge of identifying all the genuine costs incurred by every fan across the country they'd have to prove. 

Shouldn’t be hard. 

Proof of address.

Match ticket receipt.

Travel receipt.

Hotel receipt.

Would take some time to process, wouldn’t happen overnight, but no reason why genuine travel and hotel costs could not be refunded. All will have the purchase date on so no trying to sneak a cheeky dirty weekend away in Morecambe on the PL dime. 

6 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Bet Fred on Ashbourne Rd was shut today as a mark of respect with all posters removed from the window, I wonder if the online site is open?

William Hill closed all their shops yesterday and today as well.

19 minutes ago, David said:

Will this include lunch at the Midland hotel.

10 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

You're the second person in this thread to describe as such. Ultimately it's just a gesture of respect that they feel appropriate on the death of our Queen. 

It feels odd to have such a controversial term as "virtue signalling" applied here. 

I wouldn't say it's controversial. I believe they have made a decision that serves no real purpose.