Matchday Thread - Shrewsbury Town v Derby County (16/08 19:45)

Ghost of Clough

7 minutes ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

Win on Saturday.

That's a big if though isn't it. That's like saying if my business comes good this time next year Rodney we'll be millionaires, with our away record ?

If we score first I think we'll be alright but on what we have seen so far this season we are really lacking in the scoring department. 

I think we need another striker of quality +a RB so we can play Knight in midfield as other people have said. 

I don't think we are, I think we have more then enough. 

The main issue I see is we are not playing enough of the game around the opposition box and wasting too much time playing it round the back. 

Last night we wasted the first 35 mins of the game, 80% possession and no efforts on goal, ask Cotteril last night would you rather play a 55min game or 90 min game against Derby, what do you think he'd go for?

12 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

A lot of football was played, mostly by Derby County, so we had to keep our discipline and by doing that we had the better chances in the game tonight. I think, on another occasion, a fitter and sharper Dan Udoh would take one of those chances.

I thought he, Rekeil Pyke, Jordan Shipley and Tom Bayliss were immense attacking flair players tonight. The goalkeeper and the back five will always get the credit for the clean sheet but that started with them tonight. In the end I thought we could've won it. We had the better chances.

He got the first bit right.  I assume he had his eyes glued shut regarding the rest .  

Lots of interesting stuff in this matchday thread. 

I agree with those who say the midfield balance isn't right. There may be three individually gifted players there but they are just too similar to work effectively as a unit. One of Sibley or Knight should always be part of that mix, otherwise Collins is going to continue to be isolated at centre forward and his head is going to drop soon. You can see it in his body language already.

I also noticed that Dobbin and Sibley drew fouls and bookings out of Shrewsbury defenders within minutes of coming on, just by turning and running with the ball. Do that in the first half and you've two nervous defenders on a booking making life easier for us. We need someone who doesn't play it safe on the pitch from the start, imo.

Other than that, I'll take the draw against a well-organised defensive unit who fought hard for each other.

Uninspiring football, but a point on the road is better than none.

They set up to nullify us and succeeded.  If we’d got 1 then I suspect we’d have gone on to get 2 or 3.

Shrewsbury won’t be the only team to set up like this so we need to find ways of breaking them down and one of the biggest differences this season is our lack of overlapping at full back.  We miss Byrne and to a lesser extent Buchanan.  

Knight is doing well but like others have said would be better in midfield.  An experienced right back who has the ability going forward (as well as being able to defend) would make a big difference in my opinion. Fozzy gives us that option at left back as I don’t think Odurah is ready 

A good interview from LR I think his frustration mirrors that expressed on the forum I do think that we are, at the moment, trying to keep possession of the ball at the expense of taking a chances, a player doesn't want to be the one to lose possession so he passes the ball rather that taking the half chance\shot presented to him.

We can only hope that as the team play more games together we begin to create and take more chances then convert those chances into goals.    

Still a good start to the season.

11 hours ago, I am Ram said:

Go for it mate, i just wanted to say, we have signed 13+ players within 6/8 weeks. We are doing ok so far.

I agree that we can’t ignore the facts that we are behind other teams in terms of preparation (not sure we can use that excuse much longer) and that we have indeed signed a lot of players in a very short period of time that will need time to gel. But, on the other hand, there is nothing wrong in making critical observations provided they are reasonable and we remain mindful of the mitigating circumstances. 

9 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Rosenior is a very principled coach, but surely he has to ask himself: is this the best, most effective way to win football matches?

He’s coached players here for over three years now and has had his fingerprints all over the tactics and the style of play.  The players change, even now look at us with practically a completely new squad, but many things stay the same. But not for the better. That has to be a concern.

Is Rosenior shrewd enough to recognise when something is not working and have the courage to try something new? So many people have mentioned a lack of bravery and that can only be a reflection of the coaching.

What worries me is that we’ve tried to keep a sense of continuity but then what promised to be a new dawn, a fresh start, a time of hope and excitement may soon slip away and end up with many fans feeling jaded. 

This was always the danger with keeping Rosenior and the coaching staff together. It all feels so familiar. It always feels like it’s philosophy first, results second.

I found rosies post match interview quite alarming,his blinkered insistence that his way is the right way is worrying, its not worked for the last two seasons, why does he think its going to work now.we are too easy to play against, and unless he can find a way of scoring  whilst we are on top a series plan b is needed

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

Lots of interesting stuff in this matchday thread. 

I agree with those who say the midfield balance isn't right. There may be three individually gifted players there but they are just too similar to work effectively as a unit. One of Sibley or Knight should always be part of that mix, otherwise Collins is going to continue to be isolated at centre forward and his head is going to drop soon. You can see it in his body language already.

I also noticed that Dobbin and Sibley drew fouls and bookings out of Shrewsbury defenders within minutes of coming on, just by turning and running with the ball. Do that in the first half and you've two nervous defenders on a booking making life easier for us. We need someone who doesn't play it safe on the pitch from the start, imo.

Other than that, I'll take the draw against a well-organised defensive unit who fought hard for each other.

Uninspiring football, but a point on the road is better than none.

I don't think its as simple as that - in the first half a team has more control, more energy, more focus and concentration. In the second half a game becomes stretched when that focus is lost due to tiredness. This means players dive in, instead of staying on their feet and positionally are in the wrong place. Couple that with new energy from our players...

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Just in. Zero surprise to see we had a lot of possession but it ended with Derby 0 and, reading the match thread, we created very little indeed. 

For me Rosenior has used up all the goodwill. We need to see he realizes he's got team selection and tactics wrong and persisting with dreary defensive possession football in front of the opposition is not the way to win football matches in this league. So very disappointed. So very unsurprised. His midfield is totally wrong, completely negative and lacking in penetration and arracking ideas. Very, very easy for our opponents. 

What a disappointing post. 

We're 7th after 4 games. Won 2, drawn 1, lost 1 with 13/14 new players. Thats a decent start. We're through in the Cup.

Sorry he's not nailed the team selection and tactics spot on after 4 league games. 

I despair at fan comments like this. 

How about judging after 20 games have passed, not after 4 games.

9 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Rosenior is a very principled coach, but surely he has to ask himself: is this the best, most effective way to win football matches?

He’s coached players here for over three years now and has had his fingerprints all over the tactics and the style of play.  The players change, even now look at us with practically a completely new squad, but many things stay the same. But not for the better. That has to be a concern.

Is Rosenior shrewd enough to recognise when something is not working and have the courage to try something new? So many people have mentioned a lack of bravery and that can only be a reflection of the coaching.

What worries me is that we’ve tried to keep a sense of continuity but then what promised to be a new dawn, a fresh start, a time of hope and excitement may soon slip away and end up with many fans feeling jaded. 

This was always the danger with keeping Rosenior and the coaching staff together. It all feels so familiar. It always feels like it’s philosophy first, results second.

? This small squad have already shown they have the potential to top the league imho. Let's hope that winning is foremost in Rosenior's mind. If not he will be Clough Jnr, but who will be Mac1?! #COYR

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree that we can’t ignore the facts that we are behind other teams in terms of preparation (not sure we can use that excuse much longer) and that we have indeed signed a lot of players in a very short period of time that will need time to gel. But, on the other hand, there is nothing wrong in making critical observations provided they are reasonable and we remain mindful of the mitigating circumstances. 

I agree with you, which is why i said go for it. I didn't think some other posters where being mindful of what state we was in 6/8 weeks ago. 

I'm very pleased with the season so far. We are dominating the ball but obviously need far more of a cutting edge. Hand on heart we could have 12 points now as we have been good enough but in fairness Barnsley could have had a draw last Saturday. I still think it will come good pretty soon. Just hope the frustrated moans dont start to come out after 20mins at Pride Park. For that reason I think its good we are away again on Saturday. A good win will change the mood a bit.

12 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

A good interview from LR I think his frustration mirrors that expressed on the forum I do think that we are, at the moment, trying to keep possession of the ball at the expense of taking a chances, a player doesn't want to be the one to lose possession so he passes the ball rather that taking the half chance\shot presented to him.

We can only hope that as the team play more games together we begin to create and take more chances then convert those chances into goals.    

Still a good start to the season.

Exactly this,a good example of lack of bravery last night when Hourihane collects the ball on the edge of the box with a chance to shoot on his favoured foot but decides to square it to Smith who I think has scored 3 goals in his last 300 odd games ,still early days and we  will get better. 

1 hour ago, Big Trav said:

I thought Collin’s attitude wasn’t great last night. Was getting very frustrated and didn’t look like he was enjoying his football. Fleetwood I’d drop him for Didzy. Dobbin was a real bright spark. The main concern was that we weren’t shooting enough and didn’t test the keeper. Hendrick and Bryson used to pop shots off just outside the box and they’d usually win a corner or force a good save to allow us to keep the pressure on. Instead now we try pass it in. Korey Smith isn’t being utilised properly either. He’s a deeper midfielder not an attacker. I’d even be tempted to swap him and knight around for Fleetwood. There were some positives, but are outweighed by the fact we cannot score at the moment. But on that note it’s our best start to a season in 8 so clearly we’re doing something right 

To be fair to Collins he had absolutely zero service or even rebounded shots to attempt to snatch. Like you said, we try to pass (or walk) it in, we barely ever shoot. The trouble with a lone striker is when they drop deep you need a runner beyond (be it wingers cutting in or a Bryson). At times Collins dropped deep to feed it on NML who then spannered a cross in to an empty box.

Bravery on/off the ball will hopefully come as we get settled.

12 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'm very pleased with the season so far. We are dominating the ball but obviously need far more of a cutting edge. Hand on heart we could have 12 points now as we have been good enough but in fairness Barnsley could have had a draw last Saturday. I still think it will come good pretty soon. Just hope the frustrated moans dont start to come out after 20mins at Pride Park. For that reason I think its good we are away again on Saturday. A good win will change the mood a bit.

Oxford could quite easily have had one...or three...we are where we are......

3 hours ago, Warwick Ram said:

So do you think Man City are boring? They are play a possession based football but have developed that cutting edge.

All I was saying is that I don't want to see the type of possession football that we saw under Cocu, which is very passive and in front of the opposition, and as a result, boring.

Man city are a sensational football team.

Breaking news.  Team with talented individuals fail to break down well disciplined defensive unit.

I believe this is the first time this has ever happened in the history of football. 

I've just called Liam and told him what we should have done. He thanked me and apologised for not knowing the simple solution to always beats teams that set up like that. 

I'm very unsurprised he said that as I knew it to be the case. I can now claim to have predicted the future.

Why aren't we winning every game? If only I were the manager. 

Edited by ariotofmyown

55 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

I found rosies post match interview quite alarming,his blinkered insistence that his way is the right way is worrying, its not worked for the last two seasons, why does he think its going to work now.we are too easy to play against, and unless he can find a way of scoring  whilst we are on top a series plan b is needed

Totally agree while we keep playing tippy tappy football across the back four then back to our goalie, our opponents then have ample time to reshape in to two banks of four and ask us to break them down,very evident last night you can have 80% of the game and achieve nothing in fact they could of even nicked it last night.

LR needs to be looking at a long quick ball from time to time or a long throw out by our keeper to Collins to get him involved more we have plenty of young runners around him,worked a treat when Chris Martin held it up.

Decent start to new season but we need to see improvement without disrespect we need to be beating teams like STFC at a cantor

We had 5 players 6 weeks ago, we had a shorter pre season than all other clubs, we are 4 league games in, and have lost once, we have been the better team in all of those games so far, we have the makings of a very decent side.

Last year I was so proud to be a Derby fan, let's not lose that togetherness and stick behind the team together as one.

I for one am very happy with the huge progress we have made as a club in the past 6 weeks

Coyrs