Matchday Thread - Shrewsbury Town v Derby County (16/08 19:45)

Ghost of Clough

29 minutes ago, sage said:

It wasn't a surprise that we were a little laborious last night. it was the first midweek league game for undercooked players who were already pacing themselves through games.

If we win on Saturday, this will look like a good point.  

All away points are good points (unless you unrealistically expect to win every game). Win at home, draw away you go up.

11 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

On the Derby away goals theme (or lack of), maybe I should stop going to away games? Been to both away matches this season and seen a big fat zilch.

Last season I saw us score only 4 goals in 7 away games and two of those were at Blackpool!

Shameful!

I... on the other hand... went to one solitary away game last season... we scored two... we won... the away stand was literally shaking... the players thanked us all, individually... there was a party atmosphere, and even the oppo fans had nothing but respect and admiration for us!

... But can I get anywhere near the entrance of this season's awayday VIP membership area?  Will they open up the velvet ropes, and genuflect as I walk through?  No!
DCFC should be forcing a pair of complimentary tickets in my hand for each away game, and practically forcing me... and Muckerette for that matter... to attend every single game!

I tell you now, any failure to gain auto promotion this season is on the club!  Don't look at me!  It's out of my hands! 

?

20 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Rosenior is a very principled coach, but surely he has to ask himself: is this the best, most effective way to win football matches?

He’s coached players here for over three years now and has had his fingerprints all over the tactics and the style of play.  The players change, even now look at us with practically a completely new squad, but many things stay the same. But not for the better. That has to be a concern.

Is Rosenior shrewd enough to recognise when something is not working and have the courage to try something new? So many people have mentioned a lack of bravery and that can only be a reflection of the coaching.

What worries me is that we’ve tried to keep a sense of continuity but then what promised to be a new dawn, a fresh start, a time of hope and excitement may soon slip away and end up with many fans feeling jaded. 

This was always the danger with keeping Rosenior and the coaching staff together. It all feels so familiar. It always feels like it’s philosophy first, results second.

Fair points. I really don't think that Derby County have the luxury of opting for 'philosophy first, results second'. We are in L1 and need to play for the results that will get the club back in the Championship as soon as possible. A very ordinary Shrewsbury nullified our approach without too much difficulty. We need to be able to change tactics mid game when this is happening.  

Edited by europia

7 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Is their manager actually talking about something (XG) that doesn’t actually play in a game of football - I am getting to old it seems 

Look again.
The comments regarding Xg are outside the quotation marks, so the answer is no.  Those comments belong to @Ghost of Clough.

Perhaps GoC would have been wise to have placed his own comments on a separate line to the words attributed to Cotterill, but nevertheless, the quotation marks were there.

53 minutes ago, jono said:

It’s so frustrating isn’t it Angie? I honestly feel that our players in general have the skill level to play high tempo, first time forward passing. When we do, we cut great big holes but there seems to be a lack of “daring do” or buckle swashing” It wouldn’t be cavalier or reckless because we are good enough individually . Is it lack of confidence or over coaching or something else  ? 

I think it's a lack of confidence to change it up instinctively during games! 

Coaching is all well and good, but the best players know when to try the unexpected.

1 hour ago, jono said:

But on a different different day we could have won ? 

87DC22A4-F0AD-46A3-B681-DEAAA0FA0930.png

And on a different day….we got a point, can’t really complain. Those saying we could have 12 points need also to see the other side of the coin…

Edited by Jimbo Ram
Error

23 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

And on a different day….we got a point, can’t really complain. Those saying we could have 12 points need also to see the other side of the coin…

Yeah.... We could have got anywhere between 0 and 12 points by now... 

Except 11....we couldn't get 11... ?

6 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

To me last night's game was like going to watch an artist demonstrate the skills of painting, and then  realising right near the end that the only colour on his palette was beige! A quick scurry off-stage and he comes back with a dob of purple, and starts to make something visible against the bland backdrop, but it is all a vit too late and a bit rushed, and the purple lines which began to resemble something bled into the beige, and left the canvas covered in indistinguishable shapes and lines. If only he had found the right colour sooner.

Surprised No Way GIF by Laff

16 hours ago, Warwick Ram said:

So do you think Man City are boring? They are play a possession based football but have developed that cutting edge.
Guardiola’s fantastic brand of football is actually one developed by John Cruyff in Holland (Total Football) and this is what too Dutch coaches try to replicate.

Right so youve completely ignored the very first part of my post

To remind u

“cocu ball is NOT pep ball”

City are a joy to watch, they press hard, they hunt it packs, they retain and smother possession of the ball and when they attack,  they do so with purpose and craft

Helps having world class players but their style is a far cry from cocus pass the ball backwards and sideways to allow the opposition all the time in the world to regroup and set themselves. Never comitting anyone into the box, opting to pass back to the full back who will in turn go bs to the dc instead of fizzing a ball in or daring to take a player on edge of the box.

City move teams about. Cocus football was tempoless and quite frankly soul destroying

as u say guardiola did actually develope his style under cruyff but pep evolved it to fit the modern game and took it to a whole new level

the styles whilst have similarities are actually poles apart 

Edited by NottsRam77

8 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Don’t get me wrong Jimbo, I am not looking for an argument, after all, you were there and saw it.
In everyday life I am a realist with smatterings of gloom mongering and cynicism thrown in. Sport and DCFC are one of the few areas in life where my dreams and optimism can run riot. You play your opponents whoever they are on the day, and nothing is a given. In footballing terms we got a useful away point. You could end it there but the stats show that one team had 20% more shots. The same team also had 4 times as many shots on target, it had 75% of possession, twice as many corners. When that happens and you only get a draw you have to concede it was more likely the game could have gone our way than anything worse than what we got. The tank isn’t full but the needle is above halfway by any measure. 

2 hours ago, jono said:

Don’t get me wrong Jimbo, I am not looking for an argument, after all, you were there and saw it.
In everyday life I am a realist with smatterings of gloom mongering and cynicism thrown in. Sport and DCFC are one of the few areas in life where my dreams and optimism can run riot. You play your opponents whoever they are on the day, and nothing is a given. In footballing terms we got a useful away point. You could end it there but the stats show that one team had 20% more shots. The same team also had 4 times as many shots on target, it had 75% of possession, twice as many corners. When that happens and you only get a draw you have to concede it was more likely the game could have gone our way than anything worse than what we got. The tank isn’t full but the needle is above halfway by any measure. 

My point is those saying we should have won all 4 games and had 12 points are ignoring the fact that all the games we have played so far were very tight, including the Charlton game which we lost, and could have gone either way, just like the Shrewsbury game was. I didin't walk away from the game on Tuesday thinking we were far the better side and should have won and were unlucky. We had loads of possession but created relatively little and in the second half they had a lot of chances and could have won it late on. Just want some pragmatism that's all. I think where we are is about right.

I have two comments about the game

1. Collins needs help up front, far too often he is on his own in the box with 2-3 defenders to beat.
  2. I like playing out from the back, but we seem to reset when we get the ball, we seem to get the ball back, wait for the opposition to re group and then attack. We need to move the ball quicker whilst the opposition defence has not reset.

20 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Cotterill: "I thought we could've won it. We had the better chances." Only MK Dons (0.5), Bristol Rovers (0.5) and Morcambe (0.4) has a lower xG in L1 last night.

image.thumb.png.50af85f979e10c2d405040209e57a00d.png

We should be creating more chances from 80% possession in the first half though. Interesting to see that Barkhuizen and Sibley, who most of us felt had the best chances last night don't even appear in the top 3.

Every game this season we’ve been ahead on xG. If this continues then the goals and wins will come. I’d be more worried if we were winning whilst massively losing the xG battle as that shows a regression back to the mean is imminent whereas in our current form a regression to the mean would suggest more goals and wins 

On 17/08/2022 at 11:50, Jimbo Ram said:

How should we have 12 points???

Multiple chances against Charlton and even LR said we should have scored 4/5.

Dominated Shrewsbury and created a couple of good opening without scoring, again LR said we should win. 

12 points in my opinion for how well we've played, possession dominated and chances created.

6 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Dominated Shrewsbury and created a couple of good opening without scoring, again LR said we should win. 

12 points in my opinion for how well we've played, possession dominated and chances created.

Except that points aren't awarded for possession, domination and chances created. 

8 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

? We dominated possession against Shrewsbury, creating 3 or 4 chances…did you miss the Shrewsbury chances in the second half ? Oxford could quite easily have beaten us, the toss of a coin really and second half we managed to hang on in the end v Barnsley……but yep should have 12 points ?