Morgan Whittaker

Rammy03

On 17/01/2023 at 10:32, Ambitious said:

I think this is a poor signing for Rangers, in all honesty. He was able to do well in a very good League One team, but in reality this is a very poor level. He couldn't force his way into the plans at Swansea and was loaned out to a League One side in the summer, eventually to be sold without making an impact.

Rangers want to to be competing with Celtic for the title - this is a signing that doesn't even come remotely close to that happening. He may do alright, again in a good team in a bad league, but ultimately I think this will turn out to be a waste of everyone's time and resources. 

Be a step down but worth it for the couple of games in Europe ?

Again, good for him.

They've already messed him about this season recalling him from a successful loan, and they've already shown that they they're open to bids for him - they haven't rejected Rangers' offer because they don't want to sell him, they've rejected it because it isn't high enough.

If he gets even a second for Swansea he can't play for anyone else this season, they've shown no signs previously that they're going to do anything themselves to aid his development so it could be a couple of 5 minute cameos and back out of the manager's plans (again) for another 6 months, a total waste of everyone's time.

I'm sure if Jordon Ibe took this stance back when Liverpool recalled him from us people would have been lapping it up, and it could have been the difference between the career he could have had and the career he did have - one of being messed around and used as a pawn by clubs without his best interests at heart.

Swansea's actions do seem bizarre. I'm glad they recalled him from Plymouth, for our sakes, but they surely aren't expecting to get more than Rangers have offered for him after a successful half-season in League 1?

I still think he should have risen above it and played though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/morgan-whittaker-plymouth-argyle-set-8604199

The Pilgrims are set to sign him for a "club record fee". I was shocked to find that's only £900,000. They aren't a diddy club by any means. I felt sure they'd have spent 1 million plus before. Surely Tealinho must've cost them at least 5 million.

I'm interested to see what he can do for them in the Championship. I felt he wasn't given nearly enough time here, but if we'd fluked promotion I'd greet the idea of Whittaker as our marquee summer signing with a degree of trepidation.