Morgan Whittaker

Rammy03

19 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Yeah and Conway is right, he’s becoming a different player to the one we knew.

Except he was doing this week in, week out for our academy for a long while. He came into the first team and because he wasn't immediately doing it for us there, a section of the fan base were straight on his back.

Morgan is a lovely, quiet guy - he did a lot of voluntary work with DCCT for example. He was hurt by the boo boys and it took him a while to recover his confidence. 

I hope he's a lesson learned for some of our brain dead fans, but I doubt it.

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Except he was doing this week in, week out for our academy for a long while. He came into the first team and because he wasn't immediately doing it for us there, a section of the fan base were straight on his back.

Morgan is a lovely, quiet guy - he did a lot of voluntary work with DCCT for example. He was hurt by the boo boys and it took him a while to recover his confidence. 

large portion of the fan base saw his goal tally and his height and assumed centre forward, which, of course, he never was.

9 minutes ago, angieram said:

I always said it was 1 season too soon for Whittaker as it even took him time to settle at U18 and U23 level. It also didn't help that what Rooney demanded from wingers was different to what Whittaker can do.

He seems really settled down at Plymouth and enjoying it there. It's disappointing we couldn't retain him in an  environment which allowed him to develop at his own pace - similar can be said of one or two other player.

18 minutes ago, angieram said:

No chance. We still have plenty who don't think Max Bird is any good.

36 minutes ago, angieram said:

And Sibley, and Cashin.

Yet we're calling for Weston to be rushed through on the basis of one good game. 

Yep, throw him to the slaughter! 

It would be a shame though not to put Weston in solely for the danger he won't be given much patience. Likewise Fapetu. 

Expecting our youngsters to do what the senior pros are not doing well enough is a bit of a leap, but would definitely like to see more of these two. (Not to mention Thompson when we get him back!)

1 minute ago, jameso said:

It would be a shame though not to put Weston in solely for the danger he won't be given much patience. Likewise Fapetu. 

Expecting our youngsters to do what the senior pros are not doing well enough is a bit of a leap, but would definitely like to see more of these two. (Not to mention Thompson when we get him back!)

Me, too, especially Thomson because he is more experienced. I think he'll get his chance when he's fit again.

Could be really important for us next season with Hourihane and Smith gone.

On 26/11/2023 at 16:58, therealhantsram said:

Some players develop. Some players don't. 

Predicting which ones go on to great things is near impossible, even for professionals in the game. 

Chadlad Posted January 30, 2021

Surprised with this and feel that it’s too early to make this judgement. Give him another season to develop and who knows what level he could reach. Ability wise he has a lot in his locker, I just hope we have a substantial deal, fee appearances and sell on fees.

As others have said, he need to bulk up a little and have a little more aggression. A potential 20 goal a season championship striker IMO!

Difficult but not impossible!

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

Its so sad how we chucked him away. I always said we would come to regret it. I think he will end up getting a big money move to the prem. Good luck to him anyway

We got a reasonable fee for him at the time and there's no guarantee he'd have thrived here if he'd stayed, given the state the club was in. He wasn't exactly tearing up any trees at Swansea either, hence they sold him on for relatively little profit. But he found a club (and manager) in Plymouth that obviously suited him and it shows.  It'll be interesting to see where his career goes from here.

Scoring for fun, good on him. Was always going to be a decent player once he strengthened up. He has loads of natural ability and it's nice to see him prospering. He had a rough old finish to his time at Derby, especially for a young'un and I can't help but think it could all have been handled so much better. Difficult times, but regrettable all the same.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

We got a reasonable fee for him at the time and there's no guarantee he'd have thrived here if he'd stayed, given the state the club was in. He wasn't exactly tearing up any trees at Swansea either, hence they sold him on for relatively little profit. But he found a club (and manager) in Plymouth that obviously suited him and it shows.  It'll be interesting to see where his career goes from here.

Minutes per goal contribution at each club he's been at:

Derby = 384

Lincoln = 248

Swansea = 198

Plymouth = 127

He had a couple of issues here. The first was having the wrong manager, who didn't understand what sort of player he was or have the patience to develop him. The second was he needed time to develop physically and mentally to Championship football. It took him a year to settle at U18 and then U23 level, so it was nonsensical to expect him to hit the ground running in the first team.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Minutes per goal contribution at each club he's been at:

Derby = 384

Lincoln = 248

Swansea = 198

Plymouth = 127

He had a couple of issues here. The first was having the wrong manager, who didn't understand what sort of player he was or have the patience to develop him. The second was he needed time to develop physically and mentally to Championship football. It took him a year to settle at U18 and then U23 level, so it was nonsensical to expect him to hit the ground running in the first team.

It was probably also unrealistic for any player to expect to be allowed to develop at their own pace at a time the club needed instant results and funds, given also that other young players were grabbing their chances. Rooney undoubtedly treated him harshly but there's no better answer to such treatment than proving your biggest critic was wrong.