Morgan Whittaker

Rammy03

• 1 month later...
Just now, Boycie said:

I can imagine he enjoyed today, he seems to enjoy playing against us.

Did make me smile when he gave a bit to the Family Stand at 2-1, but in the end he had the last laugh.

Thought he played well and would be a decent asset but we got good money, probably more than Ebiowei and Ebosele combined. Not sure why the fans are bothered enough by a couple of daft comments to give him stick. The lad has scored 9 goals in about 70 games in his career and yet 2 in 3 against us. Maybe trying to wind him up doesn’t work.

I thought he played decently for Plymouth against us and got the bounce of the ball against us for his goal.

I have no idea why some of ours were booing him - we sold him for £700,000 ( if we received all of it) which seems to have been much needed ! 

12 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

have no idea why some of ours were booing him

Mardiness because he celebrated scoring against us and made an ill-advised comment on social media last time out.

People claiming it means he 'hates' us, totally ignoring the context that he was here for something like 11 years, because we 'let him go' (read: got a good offer for him and decided to sell, because our priority was playing more experienced players with the aim of avoiding relegation)

Also ignoring that he was never really given a chance here, was handled appallingly by Rooney in his attempt to 'make his mark' - dragged off after being subbed on one game, in tears - with his commitment questioned, grouped in with Duane Holmes (fair enough he wanted out) & later Waghorn, a player who's never given anything less than 100% but got picked on because he was 'mucking about' or something in training one time.

Edited by Kokosnuss

3 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

was handled appallingly by Rooney in his attempt to 'make his mark' - dragged off after being subbed on one game

I'd forgot about that.

Rooney would probably have subbed Tommo off on Saturday too.

I don't boo ex-players regardless of their "offences" but I think if you do this after scoring the winning goal against your former club, a goal that put that club on the cusp of relegation with the entire future of the club in the balance, you're going to attract the ire of some fans. It's not really surprising, is it? 

_118311524_cdf_010521_cf_swansea_v_derby_030.jpg.4ecd4daaca173345e92288c799a10468.jpg

I don't remember many posters who rated his performances in his 25 appearances with us or who were disappointed we sold him. I do remember some thinking Rooney was harsh with him, but I hear "gerrimoff" so often at games that it's always ironic when a manager does exactly that, but it probably wasn't the right way to handle a young player. 

As it happens, I don't think the stick he got on Saturday was particularly bad, certainly not compared to what either Mark Pembridge or Lee Camp got. He took his revenge 'cold' and, aside from a little gesture to the North Stand for whatever reason, he seemed to be allot more respectful this time. 

• 3 weeks later...

Never really got a chance with us and when he did the pressure was on him to do something as our frontline options were shoddy to say the least. 

Seems to have found a home at Plymouth but think getting rid of him at the time was a correct decision. 

It's just a shame how his relationship with the fans have gone. Think blame can be found on both sides.

Hopefully his form completely dips and helps Plymouth self destruct, but thats me talking from a Derby perspective and not on a personal level. 

12 hours ago, angieram said:

All Morgan Whitaker needed was a bit of confidence, but Derby fans weren't prepared to give him that.

A lovely goal today.

He was always extremely talented. I think the problem was with us struggling for form and his style of play not matching what some fans demanded (someone who would run around a lot).

It also didn't help being played out of position (at CF) and for only a few minutes at the end of games.

12 hours ago, angieram said:

All Morgan Whitaker needed was a bit of confidence, but Derby fans weren't prepared to give him that.

A lovely goal today.

Absolute massive deflection, so wouldn’t quite call it lovely. 

However, he didn’t get a fair go here. People saw his height and thought he could be a number 9 on his own. That wasn’t his game and never will be. He has talent, and he wasn’t used properly in the first team by managers and fans didn’t understand him.