Morgan Whittaker

Rammy03

1 hour ago, oomarkwright said:

He's worth 12-15 mill now. Look at what we could have won. I found it ironic he equalised against the bloke who sold him at Derby. 

I doubt anyone is going to pay that for him after half a good season in the championship, but doubtless that's what Plymouth value him at because 'why not'?

Not to go all xG on you but think any sensible team will need a bit more evidence the type of goals he scores are sustainable before they drop any serious money on him.

It is pretty depressing though that you have the likes of him, Ebosele and Brown making serious waves and from reading articles or seeing what went on at the time, all were not rated at certain points by academy and/or first team staff. 

2 hours ago, nottingram said:

Not to go all xG on you but think any sensible team will need a bit more evidence the type of goals he scores are sustainable before they drop any serious money on him.

It is pretty depressing though that you have the likes of him, Ebosele and Brown making serious waves and from reading articles or seeing what went on at the time, all were not rated at certain points by academy and/or first team staff. 

To go all xG and everything... he's scored twice as many goals as his xG suggests he should have, and 50% more assists. Youd have to watch the goals themslves to determine if he was lucky or he's just a good finsher [hint: he was always a very good finisher at youth level]. He also has the 4th highest attacking contribution in the league (shots and key passes per 90).

3 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

Ok. Good job we got £750k for him then. 

Maybe we needed £750k more than we needed him at the time. 

If we were talking about a time when we had no financial or legal worries, then selling him would have made less sense, but if Rooney was told he had to get money in in order to take 5 players on loan, it's easier to understand.

I'm sure fans would have accepted no signings and relegation if only Morgan could have been retained for his future potential.

I was just going to set this to start at his goal but thought it was a rather enjoyable match all-round and he's involved quite a lot. Will probably be disappointed he only scored one tbf. Not sure there are many players out there who can strike a ball so cleanly but we saw that here - it's the power he gets behind his shots I don't think we were witness to.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

48 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Find it unbelievably sickening thinking about all of the quality academy players of ours around the country

I think you could make a decent enough Championship starting XI out of them all

Based only on Transfermarkt values, the best XI would be:

Ravas
Bogle   Cashin   Buchanan   ABrown
Whittaker   Knight   Hughes   Ebosele
Riis Jacobsen   Delap

Still leaving the following as subs/reserve: TGrant, Lowe, Bird, Elsnik, Sibley, Kellyman, Ebiowei, Gordon, Plange

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Based only on Transfermarkt values, the best XI would be:

Ravas
Bogle   Cashin   Buchanan   ABrown
Whittaker   Knight   Hughes   Ebosele
Riis Jacobsen   Delap

Still leaving the following as subs/reserve: TGrant, Lowe, Bird, Elsnik, Sibley, Kellyman, Ebiowei, Gordon, Plange

More likely

Ravas

Bogle Cash Buchanan Lowe

Bird Knight Hughes

Whittaker Delap Ebiowei

Admittedly you’d invest in a keeper and a CB, with that I think they’d finish somewhere in mid-table 

Would also add our very own Thommo to the list and Dylan Williams as our fifth left back

3 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

More likely

Ravas

Bogle Cash Buchanan Lowe

Bird Knight Hughes

Whittaker Delap Ebiowei

Admittedly you’d invest in a keeper and a CB, with that I think they’d finish somewhere in mid-table 

Would also add our very own Thommo to the list and Dylan Williams as our fifth left back

Why would you take Ebosele out? He's a first team regular in Serie A now. Mainly playing as right mid/wing back in a 3-5-2. I'd think he's be one of the most valuable on current market value.

On 29/12/2023 at 11:41, Ghost of Clough said:

To go all xG and everything... he's scored twice as many goals as his xG suggests he should have, and 50% more assists. Youd have to watch the goals themslves to determine if he was lucky or he's just a good finsher [hint: he was always a very good finisher at youth level]. He also has the 4th highest attacking contribution in the league (shots and key passes per 90).

Do you know by how much a world-class finisher would typically outperform their xG?

32 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Do you know by how much a world-class finisher would typically outperform their xG?

Typically, as you go up the leagues and have better finishers, you also have better keepers so you don't notice much difference.

However, someone like Kane scores roughly 50% more than his xG. Bellingham is currnetly 80% higher, whilst Leon Bailey is 100%. Meanwhile, at the opposite end of the scale is Darwin Nunez who is getting close to half his xG.

It's still early in the season to truly judge players vs xG though. Even a full season can often be a bit unfair.

On 08/01/2024 at 19:33, Ghost of Clough said:

Typically, as you go up the leagues and have better finishers, you also have better keepers so you don't notice much difference.

However, someone like Kane scores roughly 50% more than his xG. Bellingham is currnetly 80% higher, whilst Leon Bailey is 100%. Meanwhile, at the opposite end of the scale is Darwin Nunez who is getting close to half his xG.

It's still early in the season to truly judge players vs xG though. Even a full season can often be a bit unfair.

I guess this also demonstrates that xG doesn't account for factors such as composure so only tells half of the story.