Morgan Whittaker

Rammy03

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Poacher, that’s all he is, been lucky with rebounds dropping to him.

Gary Lineker , John Aldridge and Micky Quinn to name a few made a career out of being “lucky” poachers. 
All about instinct and timing . 
Doubt he will have the career they had but good luck to the lad. 

Let’s not forget, he’s doing well in a league 1 club. That doesn’t make him a world beater yet. Maybe this is his level. And at the time we were in the championship, we didn’t need a striker good enough for league 1 (now we do). 

Darren bent mentioned in talk sport the other day that he played with him at derby, and other kids from the academy were way further ahead than him, so his first opinion was that he didn’t expect him to come to much, but is now pleased for him that he’s doing well at Plymouth.

there’s nothing really to suggest that he’s the one that got away yet. 

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Another goal today, his 5th of the season. 

He’s doing well as the ball is falling for him and even today the goal keeper let it bobble past him today but he does fit in with Plymouth - have we got a sell on from Swansea ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/09/2022 at 22:21, angieram said:

All Morgan Whitaker needed was a bit of confidence

Reckon he’s got that now eh @angieramhe’s definitely league 1 standard. Maybe when he gets close to 20 goals, which doesn’t look so impossible, that £700k will look cheap.

I’m seeing similarities with Jack Stretton too here, no doubt that will be ridiculed for awhile.

I wished him well when he left, but to be honest have no time for him now ever since his celebration in the covid game v Swansea, and since. 

We had to sell him due to the position we were in at the time. He was absolutely nowhere near it, and when he went to Swansea he wasn’t much better hence why he’s now on loan in league 1.

My observation when he was here was that he was probably the most naturally talented and the best athlete out of our academy products, but he didn’t believe it and as a result his performances were timid. People say oh he was poorly managed but he was given many chances but while showing occasional flashes he was useless for the most part. Ideally had we been a more stable club we could’ve done what Forest did with Brennan Johnson,  and eased him into the team following loan experience. 

As with Johnson it looks like the loan in league one is just what he needed and to be honest, he’s the best player in league 1 at the moment. He was class last night and would walk into our team. I’m expecting him to show himself to be the player I thought he would be and play a starring role in the championship for Swansea, hopefully they call him back in January.

3 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I wished him well when he left, but to be honest have no time for him now ever since his celebration in the covid game v Swansea, and since. 

We had to sell him due to the position we were in at the time. He was absolutely nowhere near it, and when he went to Swansea he wasn’t much better hence why he’s now on loan in league 1.

My observation when he was here was that he was probably the most naturally talented and the best athlete out of our academy products, but he didn’t believe it and as a result his performances were timid. People say oh he was poorly managed but he was given many chances but while showing occasional flashes he was useless for the most part. Ideally had we been a more stable club we could’ve done what Forest did with Brennan Johnson,  and eased him into the team following loan experience. 

As with Johnson it looks like the loan in league one is just what he needed and to be honest, he’s the best player in league 1 at the moment. He was class last night and would walk into our team. I’m expecting him to show himself to be the player I thought he would be and play a starring role in the championship for Swansea, hopefully they call him back in January.

Whittaker took a season to adjusting to U18 and another year at U23 level. He was introduced to the first team a season too soon, and needed that following season to start adjusting to the step up. That was the season Rooney wanted to and eventually did sell him.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Whittaker took a season to adjusting to U18 and another year at U23 level. He was introduced to the first team a season too soon, and needed that following season to start adjusting to the step up. That was the season Rooney wanted to and eventually did sell him.

We might also have desperately needed the £700,000 at the time to pay the odd bill 

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think the situation behind the scenes with the club finances warranted it and probably helped get some bodies in. Agree he was introduced to the team too early. £700k was a good deal for the player then, he’s taken 18 months/2 years since to show anything. Had we been stable we could’ve let him develop.