Kwaku Oduroh - signed 2 year deal

Sean

11 hours ago, inter politics said:

At one point we had an embarrassment of riches at this position in Byrne, Festy and McDonald. Hopefully we find another goodun

Similar at left back. Now we're desperate for both. 

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

Were we a bit hasty in letting McDonald go? He was obviously gutted to leave.

There must have been some reason why, it's not like he's costly. I've not seen any speculation but it seemed surprising.

Edit: but tbh if we can get Oduroh on board then it's a good swap.

Edited by RoyMac5

2 minutes ago, 48 hours said:

Also surprised that we let him go, with Festy moving on ...

Fyi, he is on trial at Crewe and has played in a couple of preseason games.

He needs regular first team football now. Management must have felt he wasn't ready for regular L1 football, which is kind of backed up by the trial at Crewe (L2)

13 hours ago, roboto said:

Looked good in the first half today. Especially for his age. Admittedly he’ll face some sterner tests in the future, but hopefully we can get him signed up as we need some full backs in the squad.

Promising first half, but let’s not get carried away. He was unimpressive second half. Can’t remember him touching the ball; went hiding in fact. It’s a no fun from me. Boo.

If there's one area we excelled last summer, it was picking up players let go by big clubs for our U23s with potential for 1st team. If we'd been allowed to offer Plange and Malcom proper contracts we'd have brought big money in from those (got some cash for Plange). 

Hopefully, with our U23s bare and senior squad probably needing to not be too bloated at this level, it's something we can do successfully again

24 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Seems to have been missed by us and the DET, he confirmed he was leaving Man City 2 days ago, not confirmed he’s joining us yet however.

I think he will have known he was to leave Man City some time ago. I'd expect him to start again on Saturday as a triallist.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Seems to have been missed by us and the DET, he confirmed he was leaving Man City 2 days ago, not confirmed he’s joining us yet however.

I think we need first team players, not under-11s!

2 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Very very very funny

He looks decent little player will cause mayhem in league one.

Mayhem when he’s out of position?

You need to stop getting so excited by players who have 45 minutes against a L2 team under their belt.

I will be disappointed if we start the campaign with this player as our first choice RB.

15 minutes ago, rammieib said:

You need to stop getting so excited by players who have 45 minutes against a L2 team under their belt.

I will be disappointed if we start the campaign with this player as our first choice RB.

Come on buddy man city dont take players on with something about them and let's face many league one teams will find him to handle.

3 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Come on buddy man city dont take players on with something about them and let's face many league one teams will find him to handle.

No - many premier league teams take on hundreds of players in the hope of finding a gem.

He’s 19 and they don’t believe he will make it, hence not offering him a contract.

I’m not saying he won’t be a star - plenty of players have been released and become stars (Ebiowei) but most don’t. 

So I hope we sign a first choice RB. I have no idea who.

14 minutes ago, rammieib said:

No - many premier league teams take on hundreds of players in the hope of finding a gem.

He’s 19 and they don’t believe he will make it, hence not offering him a contract.

I’m not saying he won’t be a star - plenty of players have been released and become stars (Ebiowei) but most don’t. 

So I hope we sign a first choice RB. I have no idea who.

Not being good enough for Man City is completely different than not being good enough for us. 

Just now, Ramslad1992 said:

Not being good enough for Man City is completely different than not being good enough for us. 

Let’s face it, Man City have lots and lots of young new players joining their Academy structure every year. He’s been there 14yrs from the age of 5 and represented every age group right up to U23’s. 
May the age of 19, you’ve got to be one hell of a player to join the 1st team Squad and if they don’t think you will, you are holding back a place for the next one coming up and through. 
Players like De Bruyne and Mo Salah were seen as not good enough by Chelsea at the same age and got rid of, for exactly the same reason if not being considered good enough at the right time.  Plange, Festy and Ebowei were released too and look at them now !!!!

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

Will stick my head up and agree. He offered very little down the right apart from one cross (not that Mendez gave him much opportunity to overlap) and drifted into a DM sort of position quite often leaving Curtis a lot to do in the right back zone.

Early days I know so won't be writing him off, and would be happy for someone of his pedigree to get a contract and see if he can show more for our under 23s as he does seem quite tenacious with a bit of pace based on a brief showing. However I wouldn't be thinking first choice full back at all.  Right back for me is where we need a bit of an older head, someone who can defend and link the ball to NML, maybe overlap occasionally, but not particularly another Byrne/Ebosele who has to be the main creative outlet up there.

48 minutes ago, Keepyuppy said:

Let’s face it, Man City have lots and lots of young new players joining their Academy structure every year. He’s been there 14yrs from the age of 5 and represented every age group right up to U23’s. 
May the age of 19, you’ve got to be one hell of a player to join the 1st team Squad and if they don’t think you will, you are holding back a place for the next one coming up and through. 
Players like De Bruyne and Mo Salah were seen as not good enough by Chelsea at the same age and got rid of, for exactly the same reason if not being considered good enough at the right time.  Plange, Festy and Ebowei were released too and look at them now !!!!

Chelsea signed De Bruyne as a 21 year old and sold him 2 tears later (loan at Werder Bremen in the first year).

They also signed Salah at 22 and sold him 2 years later (loan at Fiorentina in year 1 and Roma in year 2).

We signed Festy from Bray Wanderers when he was still 15 (about to turn 16)

Edited by Ghost of Clough