Rooney leaves

ThePrisoner

I wonder if Chris Kirchner is buying an MLS club and Wayne, Cook and his agent are upping sticks to follow CK. All seems to have been hooked around the CK deal. Might be 2 + 2 = 10000000 just a thought.

There has to be another option on the table, why else resign or request to be relieved of his duties with immediate effect. 

50 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Can’t say I begrudge him, it’s the timing that doesn’t add up 

Still think he was going to be a silent backer if Kirchner got the club and develop the club his own way, as soon as a new bidder who seems certain to get the club puts that idea at an end. Kirchner seemed to have way been given way too much time to get the deal over the line.

4 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

I wonder if Chris Kirchner is buying an MLS club and Wayne, Cook and his agent are upping sticks to follow CK. All seems to have been hooked around the CK deal. Might be 2 + 2 = 10000000 just a thought.

There has to be another option on the table, why else resign or request to be relieved of his duties with immediate effect. 

With what money?

mls clubs are more expensive than us.

Cheers Wayne...best of luck.

From the BBC

"My time at the club has been a rollercoaster of emotions, both highs and lows, but I have to say that I have enjoyed the challenge," Rooney added.

"I will remember my time at Derby with great pride and affection and would like to thank all my staff, players and of course the fans for their incredible support. I will never forget you and hope to see you all again in the near future and in happier times.

"Finally, I am aware that the club still have interested parties who wish to take over the running of the club. To them I say this, Derby County is a great club with a great history and great fans. I wish you all the best and much success for the future."

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

This is a really good thing for us. I know it doesn't feel like it right now, but it is.

We can go into next season with a completely clean slate. New owner. New manager. New players. Fresh start. Exactly what this club needs really after two years of straight trauma.

Agree with that.  

We have a real clean slate for someone to come in and lay the groundwork for a return to the Championship without having to try and get rid of players first.  Critical managerial appointment coming up. 

Hopefully any takeover will happen pretty damn quick and we can get a manager in place asap cos the clock is ticking down fast towards the start of the season.

My concern is how many of the players hanging on as long as they can for new contracts to be offered will now say to heck with this I am off. Maybe they have some loyalty to Rosenoir, but maybe not as he seemed happy to toddle off to Blackpool, so who knows but no idea what our line up will look like vs Oxford!?

4 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Cheers Wayne...best of luck.

From the BBC

"My time at the club has been a rollercoaster of emotions, both highs and lows, but I have to say that I have enjoyed the challenge," Rooney added.

"I will remember my time at Derby with great pride and affection and would like to thank all my staff, players and of course the fans for their incredible support. I will never forget you and hope to see you all again in the near future and in happier times.

"Finally, I am aware that the club still have interested parties who wish to take over the running of the club. To them I say this, Derby County is a great club with a great history and great fans. I wish you all the best and much success for the future."

Forget the timing, he stayed classy until the end.

11 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

This is a really good thing for us. I know it doesn't feel like it right now, but it is.

We can go into next season with a completely clean slate. New owner. New manager. New players. Fresh start. Exactly what this club needs really after two years of straight trauma.

As for Wayne Rooney: yes, he did admirably last season. He could of walked away many times, sure. He didn't. You have to ask yourself why now, though. 

Was it our of "loyalty" ?

If that was the case - why leave now? Right before the beginning of the new season? Right as the administration nears its end?

Maybe because his choice of owner (he made no secret of this), who was looking to give his agent a role on our board (what?!) is now out of the picture? 

I'm not sad AT ALL to see the guy that completely derailed any chance Cocu ever had gone. His whole appointment was a sorry affair, as was the stinking 32 Red deal that brought him here in the first place. Bringing in Wayne Rooney was Morris' last great error, and I'm glad to see the last of his mistakes gone. 

Absolutely this. Weed out the non hackers so we know who we want in to take the club forward.

Still appalled by the timing of the announcement on the same day we get a bit of postive news. 

Seems extremely self indulgent or dare I say even narcissistic.

4 minutes ago, dabber said:

My concern is how many of the players hanging on as long as they can for new contracts to be offered will now say to heck with this I am off. Maybe they have some loyalty to Rosenoir, but maybe not as he seemed happy to toddle off to Blackpool, so who knows but no idea what our line up will look like vs Oxford!?

Kirchner deal collapsed on the 13th of June. A matter of days later news came out that Rosenior had turned down the Blackpool job and Michael Appleton was swiftly appointed. I don't think this was a coincidence.

56 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Give it Rosenior if he's staying, get Davies on a player coach deal.

Would agree whole heartedly with that if it had been a "normal" relegation but i think at this time we need an experienced manager who can stabilise the club on the pitch

Surprised by the timing but not at all surprised by the decision.

After the intolerable circumstances of the past year in which he has carried the burden of this club, he faced a situation where our first league game was in 36 days time with still no owner, hardly any contracted players on the books, young prospects leaving on a free & only today with the certainty of funding for the season. He probably would have stayed were we looking at a serious assault on League One but at this point we don't know whether we'll be deducted another 15 points & to what extent the EFL would relax their embargo. As things stand, the only ambition is not to go down to League Two. I'm amazed he's stuck at it this long. 

He leaves this club as an absolute hero - I'm astonished by some of the replies deriding his decision or suggesting links with the failed Kirchner takeover made his mind up. I'm sure if Quantuma had actually run this process properly & got a credible owner/long term funding in place by May, the prospect of staying at Derby would have been a more attractive one.

Obviously going to be a lot of upset out there - the club can & will thrive after Rooney but today is a really sad day. The joy from the earlier announcements overshadowed in only the way Derby County can manage.