Derby County vs Fulham matchday thread, Friday 15th April, 8pm

Carl Sagan

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

A weird one for me last night

am sorry to be a killjoy

the win last night was fantastic and of course im bloody delighted for wayne and the lads but its hard in my book to get too excited.

we wont beat the drop and the result largely counts for absolutely nothing.

if the bulk of those players would be with us next season then id be excited, but the reality is that most wont be.

normally id take away its another game under the belts of those young kids that will  be looking to serve us well next year. But unless the admin get their fingers out .. what is it? 4 players signed up ? Until its done i find it too hard to really start to plan ahead and get excited.

its a great win it just feels a bit hollow

probably havent explained it well, but i know what i mean lol 

I agree

You haven't explained it well

33 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Couldnt get there tonight so had to watch on sky. Absolutely loved how they had to totally switch direction on their narrative. Everything they said was so certain it would be promotion party night for Fulham and we hardly got a mention.  Oooh how that changed but even then no real appreciation of what has been happening to our squad and what Wayne has had to put up with. Same on twitter people saying "dont get the Rooney hype, they would only be 17th with the points back" - really shows up fans who are absolute muppets in their premier league bubble. 

special quick mention to Liam Thompson. I was worried they would eat him alive when saw teamsheet but what do I know. Really showed his bottle and skill. Well done

If we'd have romped away with the Championship Sky would have found fault with us, Their pundits fawn over the fashionable teams, Loved how the one(name forgotten)spunked all over Fulham before the game, Then swallowed that sticky stuff with a grimace, I detest Sky Football with a passion and soon to be got rid of ?

Thompson was my MOTM this boy has energy a little naïve but with age he can only get better, That run for the goal was tremendous, Another Willie Carlin or Archie Gemmill in the making ?

Mondays a time to change our away form...and wipe that arsehead Charlie Austins face off. 

17 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Thompson was my MOTM this boy has energy a little naïve but with age he can only get better, That run for the goal was tremendous, Another Willie Carlin or Archie Gemmill in the making ?

Feel a bit sorry for the lad. I don’t think we’re now playing a style of football that suits him (tho second half yesterday was better).  

They don't like it up 'em, Captain Mainwaring, do they? 

What a stupendous performance last night! I've still got my gruff voice from shouting too much! thankfully the cauliflower ears have gone! The atmosphere last night had elements of the Brighton play-off semi-final about it - a huge expectancy, despite thinking Fulham would be too good for us, absolutely massive noise despite a much smaller crowd, and Pride Park absolutely rocked last night!

After 5 minutes finding our feet we gave Fulham a really good game, despite their ability at pass and move, and probably had more shots than them in the first half. One mistake, one goal. That was tough, being punished by Beilik's sloppiness, but that's football. And probably why Fulham are where they are. But in reality, as with many of the top sides we made them look ordinary, or perhaps didn't let them boss us.

And second half we were way the better team. And I think Beilik's mistake for the goal was the only bad bit of play by Derby - last night was maybe the best we've played all season, especially the second half. It seems that Wayne and Liam got us pushing on that little bit more, with Plange getting himself into the box a lot more often than normal, and it paid off because both the goals came from him being where a striker should be. And I did notice that he was offside in the build up to the second goal - only just, but still offside. So at last, a dodgy refereeing decision in our favour! Thankfully I didn't have to listen to the Sky pundits soaking their underwear taling about Fulham, but I bet they noticed the offside.

SO WHAT!!!

There have been some comments that the ref wasn't too bad last night. What that translates to is that he didn't make any result-changing decisions against us, that is all. But the loaded dice was still in play. Fulham's time-wasting after they had gone ahead was almost embarrassing, but all the ref did was wave his arm vaguely, and point to his watch a couple of times. 2 minutes added on at the end of the first half says it all. Conversely he couldn't wait to book Allsopp once we had scored. And Fulham took nearly all their throw-ins a minimum of 10 yards further up the pitch. When the ref made them go back, what they actually did was take the throw in form where they had moved up to anyway. On 65 minutes Plange chased a Fulham defender down and won the ball, and was given offside. OFFSIDE? From about 5 yards behind the defender? Come on!

Maybe "Wasn't too bad" should be "wasn't as bad as the usual troach we get".

All in all it was a fabulous night. We laughed at Fulham for being so quiet, but apart from about 10 minutes towards the end of the first half, there was actually no way of knowing - we simply couldn't hear if they were making any noise or not because we were so loud. COME ON YOU RAMS FANS! And what a match for Chris Kirchner to come to for the first time since his re-appearance! He may have many reasons for getting back involved, but I hope that what we have got going for us, despite the current circumstances is a major reason!

2 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

A weird one for me last night

am sorry to be a killjoy

the win last night was fantastic and of course im bloody delighted for wayne and the lads but its hard in my book to get too excited.

we wont beat the drop and the result largely counts for absolutely nothing.

if the bulk of those players would be with us next season then id be excited, but the reality is that most wont be.

normally id take away its another game under the belts of those young kids that will  be looking to serve us well next year. But unless the admin get their fingers out .. what is it? 4 players signed up ? Until its done i find it too hard to really start to plan ahead and get excited.

its a great win it just feels a bit hollow

probably havent explained it well, but i know what i mean lol 

No. 

Imagine a normal relegation - the fans would be irritated, the players shells of themselves, the club in doldrums.

Last night was about - Pride.  

In the manager, who was the only one there for us in our darkest hours, in the squad, who didn’t give up and are fighting until the end.  In the fans, who are unified like rarely before .. and just maybe, in a new owner who saw what he might be buying!

"It's not about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward."

Rocky balboa Sylvester Stallone

Statistically, Derby are relegated but at least they are going out in style.

"In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity"

Sun-Tzu, A Arte da Guerra, Art Of War

In the chaos of this season, the team has battled on and now if we are to be relegated, we are going out in style.

Under new ownership, its time to rebuild, to strengthen and to push for a promotion.

"Thus we may know that there are five essentials for victory:
1 He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight.
2 He will win who knows how to handle both superior and inferior forces. (As Derby did at Fulham)
3 He will win whose army is animated by the same spirit throughout all its ranks. (As Derby Club and fans have this season)
4 He will win who, prepared himself, waits to take the enemy unprepared. 
5 He will win who has military capacity and is not interfered with by the sovereign. (Unfortunately we have been interfered with by the efl throughout the season. That included make our team to weak to fight by not allowing us to sign the best players)

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Without the 21 points deduction, we would be in 17th position, which isn't too bad for team full of grandads and babies, and who haven't been able to operate in the transfer market for 2 years +, apart from having key players ripped out of our squad.

Perversely, if Forest had 21 points deducted, they would be in 20th place!!!

36 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Feel a bit sorry for the lad. I don’t think we’re now playing a style of football that suits him (tho second half yesterday was better).  

It's a tough call for WR, We have to many similar players for too few positions, Already other teams are circling and like what they've seen in Thompson.

28 minutes ago, Stockport Ram said:

One of our erstwhile members asked earlier in this thread what the crowd noise was like through the TV.

I was sat at home watching, and after the first 10 or 11 minutes I had goosebumps. You could FEEL the noise, the passion, the pride seeping through the box. 

I confess I was sobbing. The singing and support was just so great.

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

How appropriate! Ebeowie reminds me so much of Simon Dawkins, because he absolutely loves the ball, and caresses the it with his foot like he is in bed with it!

Dawkins is one of Derby’s most underrated players in the 25 years or so I’ve watched the rams. His control of the ball was unreal. He never got enough credit in that team. And was such a shame the way it ended for him at the club.