Birmingham City (H) Matchday Thread

Ghost of Clough

54 minutes ago, WystonRam said:

Why is there a collective opinion from the Brum fans and press that they missed “several” chances to put the game to bed ? We had more shots on and off target than them. Bowyer doesn’t know how Hogan didn’t get a hat trick ???

I liked the Brum chant of “There’s only one Lee Bowyer”.

Sadly no one joined in with my reply of “And that’s one too many”… ?

I said a game of football never breaks out against Birmingham - well done to the lads for getting a point with two excellent goals 

we should have had a penalty - Stearman was fractionally off side for our second and the referee couldn’t survive the outrage if he had ruled Belick goal as high kicking UTR 

4 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Wow. Didn’t take long for that defiant spirit of the past few games to go down the toilet. I’m glad we’ve got Curtis as a captain and Wayne as a manager, and not any of the guys in this forum.

we’re going to win some, we’re going to lose some. And this one’s not even over yet. 

Just skimming through this thread and this is the first positive thing I’ve read, glad most of you weren’t there #WFTTE.

4 hours ago, SK47 said:

Turned it off. Obviously I'd love to hear that we've won but my Sunday has been ruined enough so far, I'm gonna spend the next half hour getting dinner ready 

Well in boys, never in doubt ❤

17 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I said a game of football never breaks out against Birmingham - well done to the lads for getting a point with two excellent goals 

we should have had a penalty - Stearman was fractionally off side for our second and the referee couldn’t survive the outrage if he had ruled Belick goal as high kicking UTR 

Yes anywhere else on the pitch it would’ve been a free kick to them for the high kick. It would’ve taken a very brave ref to disallow that equaliser. 

Just got back into Leeds - what a day that was

Will begin with the march as it obviously dominated the backdrop to the game. We set off for Assembly Rooms expecting a few hundred die hard (expectations around 1000 I believe) - well, got to the bus station & the noise just hit us. A wonderful display of support - loads of flags, banners & singing - just joyous & if there were less than 10k there, I'd be shocked. There's a little red headed lad who will be very proud of himself tonight - he started 'Since I was Young' when we going under the bridge near the station & 30 seconds later the sound was just exploding off the walls from hundreds singing it. Spine tingling. Outside PP just awesome also - as if you couldn't feel even prouder of who we all support.

On to the game - I do think the march had sapped some of the energy from the crowd & the occasion seemed to get the players a little with a lot of sloppy passes & poor touches. Birmingham settled much quicker & their physical, relentless press soon had us in trouble. The early goal knocked us out of our stride & to be honest, we were perhaps fortunate not to be further behind with one excellent Allsop save & one fantastic intervention from Bird tracking back to stop a certain one on one. We did have chances - Bird dragged a good opportunity wide & Lawrence's late free kick nearly yielded an opening but it had been a below par display & we had offered little overall.

Second half I expected changes but we were still off it & the second Birmingham goal (shocking cover for Hogan by the way) seemed to confirm it was going to be one of those days. Last 20/25 mins though the pressure started building back onto Brum & there were a number of reasons for that - Bielik coming on for Thompson to impose ourselves in midfield, Kazim to help Plange up top & Curtis Davies going up top to cause chaos. They started to struggle to keep us out & we were very unfortunate not to score before the fantastic goal back from Plange - he struggled overall today but will learn a lot playing against horrible CBs like theirs. 

Onto injury time, I thought it was all over when Byrne floated a corner straight into Etheridge's hands & feared a repeat of Forest with time wasting & compliant refereeing to see the time ebb away. But we got one more chance & the absolute state of that bicycle kick from Bielik - just beautiful. And full deserved against a horrible, cheating bunch of timewasting cloggers. 

I'm not going to pass comment on Birmingham's support & their songs aside to say they're just a tiny version of Leeds. I hope they all have a thoroughly miserable evening & think they have exactly the owners they deserve. Long live Derby County ??

8 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Yes anywhere else on the pitch it would’ve been a free kick to them for the high kick. It would’ve taken a very brave ref to disallow that equaliser. 

I do believe the Ref had lost his mobile, The EFL were frantically trying to get intouch with him, They managed after the final whistle, He's been banned for the next 5 matches

11 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Just got back into Leeds - what a day that was

Will begin with the march as it obviously dominated the backdrop to the game. We set off for Assembly Rooms expecting a few hundred die hard (expectations around 1000 I believe) - well, got to the bus station & the noise just hit us. A wonderful display of support - loads of flags, banners & singing - just joyous & if there were less than 10k there, I'd be shocked. There's a little red headed lad who will be very proud of himself tonight - he started 'Since I was Young' when we going under the bridge near the station & 30 seconds later the sound was just exploding off the walls from hundreds singing it. Spine tingling. Outside PP just awesome also - as if you couldn't feel even prouder of who we all support.

On to the game - I do think the march had sapped some of the energy from the crowd & the occasion seemed to get the players a little with a lot of sloppy passes & poor touches. Birmingham settled much quicker & their physical, relentless press soon had us in trouble. The early goal knocked us out of our stride & to be honest, we were perhaps fortunate not to be further behind with one excellent Allsop save & one fantastic intervention from Bird tracking back to stop a certain one on one. We did have chances - Bird dragged a good opportunity wide & Lawrence's late free kick nearly yielded an opening but it had been a below par display & we had offered little overall.

Second half I expected changes but we were still off it & the second Birmingham goal (shocking cover for Hogan by the way) seemed to confirm it was going to be one of those days. Last 20/25 mins though the pressure started building back onto Brum & there were a number of reasons for that - Bielik coming on for Thompson to impose ourselves in midfield, Kazim to help Plange up top & Curtis Davies going up top to cause chaos. They started to struggle to keep us out & we were very unfortunate not to score before the fantastic goal back from Plange - he struggled overall today but will learn a lot playing against horrible CBs like theirs. 

Onto injury time, I thought it was all over when Byrne floated a corner straight into Etheridge's hands & feared a repeat of Forest with time wasting & compliant refereeing to see the time ebb away. But we got one more chance & the absolute state of that bicycle kick from Bielik - just beautiful. And full deserved against a horrible, cheating bunch of timewasting cloggers. 

I'm not going to pass comment on Birmingham's support & their songs aside to say they're just a tiny version of Leeds. I hope they all have a thoroughly miserable evening & think they have exactly the owners they deserve. Long live Derby County ??

Pretty sure the time wasting started before they’d even scored the first goal… very strange.

Thank god we have the team and the manager that we do.

A word on the blue noses. The ones who were throwing all sorts out disgusting stuff in bottles, shame on you. Ruined a great day out sadly. Got aggressive towards their end, my friend was an inch of getting hit by a coin. Awful.

I had forgotten that Lee Bower is their manager, and just thought the the side had still got the spirit of Rowett running through them. Horrible. But they do play like all the other Bowyer teams, who all play just like he did. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. And dirtier than Don Revie's Leeds United. Shame the ref blanked Mengi's handball, as we would have given them the result they deserve.

A very special day with my family joining me. A great pre- and end-of-match atmosphere.  I was back in the East stand again for the first time in a few years (SW normally these days). I was disappointed to hear quite a bit of direct criticism/shouting at our players, which is the reason I left the East stand (having had a stand-up argument with a few ‘I pay, I’m entitled’ brigade. Poor play by individual players should be met with encouragement in my book, or at least keep it muted. . I’ll be returning to the SW corner ASAP.

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

Yet again Derby have made one point feel like we got 7! And yet again we had to play 14 men playing for Birmingham. I was posting on FB "Is the ref a Blue" after two awful decisions in the first 75 seconds! And before long I was posting "Yes, with flashing blue lights on top!" The officials were absolutely terrible yet again, and should have  had an absolute barrage of Boooos at half time, but we fans seem to have become de-sensitised to crap refs. Joswaick's match was ended early by  3 terrible tackles, 2 worth yellow cards, and the last a two-footed lunge, which should have been a red. Weird that only Roy Mac spotted that one. Oh, and never mind the cards, we didn't get a single free-kick for any of them. And so it went on all match. I am slipping up though, because I was unaware of Mengi's handball.

The occasion, the way Bowyer set his team up, and their pressing meant hat we weren't at the races for much of the match, and for goodness sake, when we have got the ball, we have got to get out of the mentality that the only ball on is a back pass to Allsopp. There were far too many players taking the easy (coward's) option instead of trying to get things moving. Only Thompson seemed to have an idea of which direction we were supposed to be playing. On top of that we didn't get the run of the ball at all, and Birmingham benefitted from lucky last minute blocks loads of times.

We began to look the part when CKR  came on, but the game changer was Beilik. Apparently he was only at about 70%, although he seemed to be well up with the pace of the game almost immediately, and suddenly the match had turned.

Let's see what we can do to Huddersfield on Tuesday!

What, like sabotage their training session before we play them on Wednesday?