Birmingham City (H) Matchday Thread

Ghost of Clough

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

This was my though on it too!

VAR would've given offside for that as Steargoat's shoulder is offside. The rules are the closest part of the body that can legally play the ball (not in those words) count towards an offside decision. However VAR would've given us the penalty decision earlier in the game too, so it's all evened out.

Anyway, who cares about the offside, it was given and KB scored a belter of a goal. COYR!!!

29 minutes ago, roboto said:

VAR would've given offside for that as Steargoat's shoulder is offside. The rules are the closest part of the body that can legally play the ball (not in those words) count towards an offside decision. However VAR would've given us the penalty decision earlier in the game too, so it's all evened out.

Anyway, who cares about the offside, it was given and KB scored a belter of a goal. COYR!!!

I'm not even sure you can tell that (from that angle anyway) - the defenders leading knee and shoulder are both hidden behind Davies, so you haven't got anything to compare too. 

21 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

That was the one ? From a couple of previous stills I have see of B4 in the past, I thought this was him. He was singing loud and proud !

Hhhmm, Might not be, I posted another that could be him, I think it might be hidden as it's been taken down, I guess if it is B4 then this site will need his permission to have his picture put up?‍♂️

This is a pretty sad point after watching the Bielik goal back more times than it is healthy and all the other emotional posts that are so heartening to read

But wanted to point out that the goal is a rare case for us of just having just one man (Bird) over the ball for a set piece with the second man that’s usually hanging around the free kick finally waved away towards the box.

I get the theory that two potential takers causes defensive uncertainty (inswinger or outswinger) - but it’s normally pretty obvious who will take it (the one who put the ball down carefully into his ideal position). Just nice to see us have another attacker in the box.. 

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

That was the one ? From a couple of previous stills I have see of B4 in the past, I thought this was him. He was singing loud and proud !

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Hhhmm, Might not be, I posted another that could be him, I think it might be hidden as it's been taken down, I guess if it is B4 then this site will need his permission to have his picture put up?‍♂️

That's not B4!

2 hours ago, roboto said:

VAR would've given offside for that as Steargoat's shoulder is offside. The rules are the closest part of the body that can legally play the ball (not in those words) count towards an offside decision...

Still not convinced it was offside. ? #COYR

image.thumb.png.1c372748b5da9b743e654aa432083259.png

When we look forward we can be slick and create chances. For most of the first hour yesterday it looked as if both teams were kicking in the same direction as we would invariably turn backwards and while Brum were going forward. We have to stop this.

Partly it was because we were outmuscled in midfield, with our young lads unable to keep the ball, Thomson particularly struggling. 

Partly it was the play out from and across the back line mentality and approach instilled by the coaches, this risk and reward game. Which I understand we want to do, but we do it wrongly. There's a lack of understanding and intelligence at work. The point is to draw your opponents to you in order to create space behind them, which you can exploit with a lightning quick attack, using the extra space.

In open play, once you "break the line" and have a numerical advantage over your opponents as you surge forward, you have to do everything you can to maintain the momentum of the attack, even if it means playing a risky forward ball to put someone through on goal. The odds are in your favour. Yet we break the line and often turn backwards and end up playing it back to the keeper while our opponents laugh at us and charge forwards with alacrity.

Then there are our goalkicks, Curtis playing the ball across our goal line to Allsopp. This would make sense if the opposition forwards were halfway inside our half or near the halfway line, as it would draw them towards our box and create space behind them. However, instead of this they are already lined up like olympic sprinters on the edge of our penalty area ready to charge the keeper. The job has been done. We do not have to entice the opposition to near our box. The space is already behind them waiting for us to use it. In this situation it is sheer stupidity to still play the ball short when there is no additional benefit to be gained and only danger and pressure to be invited on us. I cannot fathom why the players and coaches don't see this. When your opponents are already ranged around your penalty area, you must always go long and immediately exploit the extra space.

It was a thrilling comeback and I never gave up hope because we do look good when we actually go forward and attack, but we don't half make it hard for ourselves at times.